cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook Head of AR/VR Content Mike Verdu to Lead Netflix’s Push into Gaming

Zenbane
Level 16

Very big news for VR!

A report from The Information back in May maintained that video streaming giant Netflix was getting ready to push beyond TV and film, and was actively approaching candidates to oversee its expansion into gaming. As first reported by Bloomberg, that position is falling to Mike Verdu, former head of AR/VR content at Facebook Reality Labs and one-time chief of mobile games at EA.

Netflix will offer games on its streaming platform within the next year. Games are said to be included in the service’s monthly price, and will supposedly be hosted alongside streaming video content.

https://www.roadtovr.com/netflix-mike-verdu-facebook-ar-vr/

4 REPLIES 4

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

I was hoping, with his contacts at EA, he could have influenced Codemasters to include VR in F1, now that they own Codies.

Wishful thinking or course 😒

Game streaming has been touted as the future several times, I wonder if that time is coming and whether the hurdles are purely technical or will acceptance be a big thing.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v20H2 (19043.1081)

There is a surprising number of VR users who swore by ShadowPC with VR. 

https://arvrtips.com/setup-shadow-pc-with-oculus-quest/

I think that the growing adoption of Streaming Apps/Games, even in the VR space, has likely prompted companies like Netflix to justify the investment.  I am looking forward to seeing how this all plays out. I, for one, welcome any new VR experience. After 5 years of going between Oculus Store, WebVR, YouTubeVR, and Steam... it would be nice to see something new in the VR software ecosystem.

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

The more sources of VR the better.

I just wish Netflix sped up production of the show I like, although not really an option given the events of the past year. And not cancel any of the good shows, really enjoyed Messiah. Lost in Space has more life in it than 3 seasons I think.

Hopefully Amazon aren't going to take too long commissioning Tales from the Loop season 2.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v20H2 (19043.1081)

I am loving that horror trilogy Netflix put out, Fear Street. I am actually about to load up Part 3. WHOOP WHOOP