cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook Launches Smart Glasses

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
kevinw729_0-1631221383380.png

Facebook finally reveals their Ray-Ban Stories video, image and phone supported Smart Glasses. Direct competitors to the Snapchat Spectacles2 - let battle commence!

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
33 REPLIES 33

@inovator wrote:

I understand people do these things with other devices by the millions. What I should have said is I cant see people spending 300 dollars for what you can do on a phone. Especially being limited to 30 seconds. It could be argued that the spontaneity of glasses vs a cell phone can be the reason. I'm looking forward to seeing the sale numbers.

Thanks for the clarification. As you said, the market for the "behavior" exists, but the challenge is whether or not using glasses to achieve that behavior will be widely accepted. It will be fun to see how it all unfolds. 😊

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is nothing that interests me, but then I am old and have enough trouble just trying to keep abreast with my iPhone lol. Not to mention I am horrible at keeping up with my glasses.

Thanks for helping with my clarfication.👍

Same here. Also I already use glasses, can I wear glasses under the glasses? 🤔 😄

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

@RuneSR2 wrote:

Same here. Also I already use glasses, can I wear glasses under the glasses? 🤔 😄

Contact lenses.

I wear glasses too, but I hate using them with a VR HMD. I have contact lenses that I use when in VR. I tried using glasses with my Rift back in the day, but it is such an awful experience having both on at once.

Especially when I go out of the home, I would rather have contact lenses on my face. 

For anyone who already uses contact lenses, then Smart Glasses are an easy choice. Although the comfort level is what I'll be looking to test. To make sure that the Smart Glasses are more comfortable than regular reading glasses.

Personally, I would rather have... smart contact lenses. But the tech seems a ways off until we hit that point!

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

For those needing glasses normally, you can order Ray-Ban Stories with prescription lenses, (which also means your HSA or eye insurance may come into play).

Help others find great discussions and answers by adding kudos and marking solutions to your questions.

@Ryanality wrote:

For those needing glasses normally, you can order Ray-Ban Stories with prescription lenses, (which also means your HSA or eye insurance may come into play).

Oh snap! That is rather awesome. And I do have a decent HSA... 🤔

Nice, also did find this description:

"Ray-Ban is also offering the ability to add prescription lenses to Ray-Ban Stories, but that’ll add an extra £199/$199 to the price tag, bringing it up to £498/$498."

https://www.techadvisor.com/news/wearable-tech/ray-ban-stories-3808276/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Nekto2
Superstar

Hmm will it have IR lights so Quest and Smart Glasses will recognize and track each other in the same space?

That will help to make fun party games 🙂  or some new ways for business users to interact.

Or... even Smart Glasses could be an external tracker for Quests 😄

(multiple Quests at the same room)

or.. you could run like Alyx in those glasses hiding from those who do not like to be recorded 🙂