cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook account required for new Oculus hmd users Oct 2020 - existing users can wait to Jan 2023

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
More here:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/a-single-way-to-log-into-oculus-and-unlock-social-features/

Today, we’re announcing some important updates to how people log into Oculus devices, while still keeping their VR profile. Starting in October 2020:

• Everyone using an Oculus device for the first time will need to log in with a Facebook account.

• If you’re an existing user and already have an Oculus account, you’ll have the option to log in with Facebook and merge your Oculus and Facebook accounts.

• If you’re an existing user and choose not to merge your accounts, you can continue using your Oculus account for two years.

After January 1, 2023, we will end support for Oculus accounts. If you choose not to merge your accounts at that time, you can continue using your device, but full functionality will require a Facebook account. We will take steps to allow you to keep using content you have purchased, though we expect some games and apps may no longer work. This could be because they include features that require a Facebook account or because a developer has chosen to no longer support the app or game you purchased. All future unreleased Oculus devices will require a Facebook account, even if you already have an Oculus account.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

1,250 REPLIES 1,250

Uri235
Honored Guest

rgrlee
Protege
They are out of their minds.  I refuse to use Facebook or any of the zombie platforms.  They have helped facilitate turning an entire generation of kids into vegetables.  My next headset will definitely not be a Rift.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Uri235 said:

Unfortunately I'm extremely stubborn and I have my principles, that I will never change. I will never ever create a facebook account. Words can not describe, how much I hate that social freak David Zuckerberg. I know, it will never happen, but wouldn't it be great, if just everyone would sabotage this plan. On the day, when I cannot use my Headset anymore without a facebook account, I will take a huge shit, directly on the headset and send it with my best wishes to facebook. 

Honest question: If you are so passionate against Zuck and Facebook, why did you buy a Facebook product in the first place?

rgrlee said:

They are out of their minds.  I refuse to use Facebook or any of the zombie platforms.  They have helped facilitate turning an entire generation of kids into vegetables.  My next headset will definitely not be a Rift.

Fair enough, but you realize that you're on a FB Platform right now, right? If you are using an Oculus product, then you're on a FB platform. Also, do you believe that VR is turning kids in to vegetables too? Because FB has helped VR become a global platform.

reb1rth
Protege
I knew they couldn't be trusted and only went for the Rift-S because it was cheap. I've had it for over a year and thankfully I only brought one game on oculus store, which was in a sale (Lone Echo, and it was so boring that I could just about manage one play through).  I will never buy anything from them again.

reb1rth
Protege

Zenbane said:

Uri235 said:

Unfortunately I'm extremely stubborn and I have my principles, that I will never change. I will never ever create a facebook account. Words can not describe, how much I hate that social freak David Zuckerberg. I know, it will never happen, but wouldn't it be great, if just everyone would sabotage this plan. On the day, when I cannot use my Headset anymore without a facebook account, I will take a huge shit, directly on the headset and send it with my best wishes to facebook. 

Honest question: If you are so passionate against Zuck and Facebook, why did you buy a Facebook product in the first place?

rgrlee said:

Fair enough, but you realize that you're on a FB Platform right now, right? If you are using an Oculus product, then you're on a FB platform. Also, do you believe that VR is turning kids in to vegetables too? Because FB has helped VR become a global platform.

It's a piece of hardware, like a monitor and gamepad.  Imagine being
forced to use an ethically questionable Social Media platform just to use an AMD CPU. 😄 

Anonymous
Not applicable
What - when - huh? I dont get this thread o.o; peace...

Actually - so I understand it from both sides. I think currently it work best where if you had a FB account you could use that or use the Oculus one. It was nice not having to share a lot of information between the two even though I am sure you could still find out that information. I think personally its a bad move to force this without some real value to it - but I understand from the software side of things as well. Far easier to service and protect a single database than it is millions of others. 

While I am sure everyone has a FB account - forcing to having to create one, and not just a basic account, seems a bit weird in terms of just the flow of things. As a store - it shouldn't need to know what you look like, your personal information, and other extra details. Just seems a bit weird? Esp they make a point to start selling ads. Like - are they going to start paying us? What control over the ads we have? Will I be able to opt out of seeing ads or force? 

Steam for example does show ads - but game related titles on its own store. What ads are we going to see on the Oculus store? Game related? Amazon? What about ads that get infected with a virus? How are they going to deal with the fall out from that?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

reb1rth said:
It's a piece of hardware, like a monitor and gamepad.

Monitors and Gamepads have universal drivers that work across multiple operating systems; a VR HMD is not the same thing. A VR HMD requires a proprietary platform to work (not just drivers). In this case, Oculus VR HMD's require the Oculus Platform, even if you plan to only use something like Steam.

A VR HMD is more like a Smart Phone, not a Monitor or Gamepad. It would be like trying to run an iPhone without the iOS.

When you purchase an Oculus headset, you're not just purchasing a piece of hardware; you're also purchasing Facebook's software platform and data sharing network.

Sulenor
Explorer
I don't have a Facebook account and don't want to have one.

Why should i have a Facebook account to use an HMD ?

I'm sure that my next HMD won't be an oculus product.

reb1rth
Protege
Zenbane said:

reb1rth said:
It's a piece of hardware, like a monitor and gamepad.

Monitors and Gamepads have universal drivers that work across multiple operating systems; a VR HMD is not the same thing. A VR HMD requires a proprietary platform to work (not just drivers). In this case, Oculus VR HMD's require the Oculus Platform, even if you plan to only use something like Steam.

A VR HMD is more like a Smart Phone, not a Monitor or Gamepad. It would be like trying to run an iPhone without the iOS.

When you purchase an Oculus headset, you're not just purchasing a piece of hardware; you're also purchasing Facebook's software platform and data sharing network.

No it isn't.  It's a piece of hardware and nothing like a Smartphone.  It doesn't require a service, you don't make calls with it, it only requires drivers.  Being told that it requires something, when that requirement is not actually a requirement for the hardware, only informs me that I am dealing with Facebook's unethical practices. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

reb1rth said:
No it isn't.  It's a piece of hardware and nothing like a Smartphone.

This is incorrect. Oculus GO and Quest, for example, literally have the Android OS inside of it. That's a smartphone by very definition.

It doesn't require a service,

It most certainly does. You can see them in the Services tab within the Windows Task Manager.

you don't make calls with it

This is also wrong. You can not only make calls, but attend video conferences.

Here's just one example:
https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/16/facebook-social-vr-rooms/

All 3 of Oculus' headsets have sound and a microphone. There are multiple ways to make calls.