cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook account required for new Oculus hmd users Oct 2020 - existing users can wait to Jan 2023

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
More here:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/a-single-way-to-log-into-oculus-and-unlock-social-features/

Today, we’re announcing some important updates to how people log into Oculus devices, while still keeping their VR profile. Starting in October 2020:

• Everyone using an Oculus device for the first time will need to log in with a Facebook account.

• If you’re an existing user and already have an Oculus account, you’ll have the option to log in with Facebook and merge your Oculus and Facebook accounts.

• If you’re an existing user and choose not to merge your accounts, you can continue using your Oculus account for two years.

After January 1, 2023, we will end support for Oculus accounts. If you choose not to merge your accounts at that time, you can continue using your device, but full functionality will require a Facebook account. We will take steps to allow you to keep using content you have purchased, though we expect some games and apps may no longer work. This could be because they include features that require a Facebook account or because a developer has chosen to no longer support the app or game you purchased. All future unreleased Oculus devices will require a Facebook account, even if you already have an Oculus account.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

1,250 REPLIES 1,250

Anonymous
Not applicable

RuneSR2 said:

RedRizla said:

What did you expect @RuneSR2? Everyone was waiting for news on the next best PC -VR headset and you went and posted this :disappointed:

Could you not have found news about a Half Dome PC -VR headset from Oculus anywhere on the internet  😛

Maybe next month. Maybe next year. Who knows when it will be.

- and now we know that Half Dome needs a Facebook account. No account no Dome  o:)

Lol, what are they up to now with Half Dome - version 4 or 5?
I have a feeling it is sitting in a dark corner with dust building up on it.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
wurp7d5jtoku.png
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

nalex66 said:

RedRizla said:

I’m.

RedRizla said:

Morgan.

RedRizla said:

Freeman.

21imbend2agz.gif

I thought the Morgan comment said Morgrum... was thinking what did he do?

Anonymous
Not applicable

dburne said:

RuneSR2 said:

RedRizla said:

What did you expect @RuneSR2? Everyone was waiting for news on the next best PC -VR headset and you went and posted this :disappointed:

Could you not have found news about a Half Dome PC -VR headset from Oculus anywhere on the internet  😛

Maybe next month. Maybe next year. Who knows when it will be.

- and now we know that Half Dome needs a Facebook account. No account no Dome  o:)

Lol, what are they up to now with Half Dome - version 4 or 5?
I have a feeling it is sitting in a dark corner with dust building up on it.

4 I think. And we'll see number 5 at Oculus Connect next month. I'm also expecting it to be announced as the Rift 2 if the rumours are true and they're going to release it next year.

We'll also see the Quest S being revealed too, and both the Rift S and Quest S will be down to a $299 purchase price.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
While it's true that many of us are waiting for Oculus VR hardware news, it should be common knowledge that it won't come until the September conference. Other than unofficial Leaks, Facebook has not provided any info earlier than planned ever since they bought Oculus in 2014. So there's no reason that anyone should be expecting the news sooner.

I should also add that some of us have been expecting the news about the FB Account Link merger. This isn't a surprise for everyone. In fact, we had this debate when Facebook first introduced their platform for Account Linking over a year ago. It was optional then, and still is as of today. But the point is... there are zero surprises happening. lol

Lastly,

I think it's common for people to use a forum to post their hopes/wishes in regards to things they'd like to see. That's what a forum is all about! Some people wanna see more high-end PCVR hardware from Oculus, but we haven't gotten it in awhile. Many people expect a PlayStation VR Gen 2, which we will likely get. Others hope/wish that VR Arcades become a thing; but the 2020 Pandemic put a nail in that coffin.

It's just the nature of the beast! For those hopes/wishes that aren't coming true yet... there's always next year.
🙂

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:
4 I think. And we'll see number 5 at Oculus Connect next month. I'm also expecting it to be announced as the Rift 2 if the rumours are true and they're going to release it next year.

We'll also see the Quest S being revealed too, and both the Rift S and Quest S will be down to a $299 purchase price.

Wow - that's really fascinating @snowdog - a rumor of a PC based Rift 2.
Hey can you point us to a link that says that, as one that follows the market I have yet to see anything like that? 🙂
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Cpt_Custard
Adventurer

kevinw729 said:

so the aim of the game is to lock the users into the Oculus-ecosystem as fast as possible before the 2021 PSVR2 launch.

I started out buying VR games on steam for my oculus rift cv1 to 'keep my options open' for my games later down the line, then shifted to oculus home when I purchased a quest. Now I am back to steam because, as you say, I do not want to be locked in. I absolutely hate having some grubby corp trying to manipulate my choices and force me into a corner.
There is a way to get away from all control but people have forgotten how.... switch it off, its as easy as that.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

There is a way to get away from all control but people have forgotten how.... switch it off, its as easy as that.

Agreed. And it does seem as if the average consumer simply cannot... switch it off. This is why Facebook can confidentaly make its decisions.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Cpt_Custard said:
I started out buying VR games on steam for my oculus rift cv1 to 'keep my options open' for my games later down the line, then shifted to oculus home when I purchased a quest. Now I am back to steam because, as you say, I do not want to be locked in. I absolutely hate having some grubby corp trying to manipulate my choices and force me into a corner.

The announcement of the deal between Valve and HP will be interesting to see how that evolves. Valve knows that SteamVR is not getting as much love as they would like, though the Facebook news will mean a spike unless there are Oculus exclusives in the works that can revival the interest generated in Half-Life:Alyx?

It would be seriously hard on the SuperHot and BeatSaber developers if they get acquired and are looking towards major new sequel releases only for their payday to be limited due to a backlash against their new owners!

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

kevinw729 said:

Cpt_Custard said:

The announcement of the deal between Valve and HP will be interesting to see how that evolves. Valve knows that SteamVR is not getting as much love as they would like, though the Facebook news will mean a spike unless there are Oculus exclusives in the works that can revival the interest generated in Half-Life:Alyx?

It would be seriously hard on the SuperHot and BeatSaber developers if they get acquired and are looking towards major new sequel releases only for their payday to be limited due to a backlash against their new owners!

Wait until FB replace the andriod OS with thier own FB OS on their VR devices, and along with the loss of said Android abilities like sideloading, you will see a outcry that will make this look like a day at Woodstock. lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.