cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook account required for new Oculus hmd users Oct 2020 - existing users can wait to Jan 2023

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
More here:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/a-single-way-to-log-into-oculus-and-unlock-social-features/

Today, we’re announcing some important updates to how people log into Oculus devices, while still keeping their VR profile. Starting in October 2020:

• Everyone using an Oculus device for the first time will need to log in with a Facebook account.

• If you’re an existing user and already have an Oculus account, you’ll have the option to log in with Facebook and merge your Oculus and Facebook accounts.

• If you’re an existing user and choose not to merge your accounts, you can continue using your Oculus account for two years.

After January 1, 2023, we will end support for Oculus accounts. If you choose not to merge your accounts at that time, you can continue using your device, but full functionality will require a Facebook account. We will take steps to allow you to keep using content you have purchased, though we expect some games and apps may no longer work. This could be because they include features that require a Facebook account or because a developer has chosen to no longer support the app or game you purchased. All future unreleased Oculus devices will require a Facebook account, even if you already have an Oculus account.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

1,250 REPLIES 1,250

Cpt_Custard
Adventurer
On the flip side of this if Facebook makes VR mainstream I am good with it. All the sheep can give zuck their data, I will be elsewhere but VR will be more universal

ShocksVR
Superstar

On the flip side of this if Facebook makes VR mainstream I am good with it. All the sheep can give zuck their data, I will be elsewhere but VR will be more universal

i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

This debate as passed through a day without descending into personal attack, lets not spoil it now.
Maybe sheep just means that people with a different view are cuddly.

Anyway, this thread has been a bit of a powder keg so if you can continue the debate and avoid even low level goading, that would be great.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This debate as passed through a day without descending into personal attack, lets not spoil it now.
Maybe sheep just means that people with a different view are cuddly.

Anyway, this thread has been a bit of a powder keg so if you can continue the debate and avoid even low level goading, that would be great.

Shut up, big nose!!!

https://youtu.be/ToYt5SgGDgI

???

you've caused me to sigh more than anyone else @snowdog

Edit: ↓↓↓ @zenbane a very close second

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well as long as I'm not making you sigh, that's all good. ???

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Oh, great you are still there - @snowdog, that link to the Rift-2 rumors you pulled out...?
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevinw729 said:

Oh, great you are still there - @snowdog, that link to the Rift-2 rumors you pulled out...?

Not got a link. Some people have been discussing it every now and then on Reddit, and a few have mentioned it on here.

I think it's a given that we'll see the Quest S in October, but then the first Quest was released at the same time as the Rift S, so I wasn't expecting the next Quest to be released so soon.

Who knows, we might even see the Quest S and Rift 2 being released next year? That would give both the Quest and Rift S a 2 year lifespan.

I think it's going to be odd giving the OG Quest such a short lifespan tbh.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

you've caused me to sigh more than anyone else @snowdog

Yay, progress for Camp Zenbane!

Joking, of course. DnD and snowy are 2 of my favorite posters.

For me, this discussion seems to have peaked. The few who are opposed, hopefully you'll find an amazing experience with the competitors. I mean that truly. Steam VR is a great platform, and both the Index and Reverb are amazing products.

Peace and love, folks. I'm out.
Just some harmless satire to end on...

zow2bv2w2qcn.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable
Best. Comic. Strip. EVER. ???