cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook account required for new Oculus hmd users Oct 2020 - existing users can wait to Jan 2023

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
More here:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/a-single-way-to-log-into-oculus-and-unlock-social-features/

Today, we’re announcing some important updates to how people log into Oculus devices, while still keeping their VR profile. Starting in October 2020:

• Everyone using an Oculus device for the first time will need to log in with a Facebook account.

• If you’re an existing user and already have an Oculus account, you’ll have the option to log in with Facebook and merge your Oculus and Facebook accounts.

• If you’re an existing user and choose not to merge your accounts, you can continue using your Oculus account for two years.

After January 1, 2023, we will end support for Oculus accounts. If you choose not to merge your accounts at that time, you can continue using your device, but full functionality will require a Facebook account. We will take steps to allow you to keep using content you have purchased, though we expect some games and apps may no longer work. This could be because they include features that require a Facebook account or because a developer has chosen to no longer support the app or game you purchased. All future unreleased Oculus devices will require a Facebook account, even if you already have an Oculus account.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

1,250 REPLIES 1,250

solidshadow
Explorer
Facebook account required for new Oculus, sad to hear, i'm out.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Facebook account required for new Oculus, sad to hear, i'm out.

We all knew that was happening. Its been discussed for weeks.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
I was interested to look at the Facebook review process for complaints - and their interest in previous banned or complaints leveled at accounts. 

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

kevinw729 said:

I was interested to look at the Facebook review process for complaints - and their interest in previous banned or complaints leveled at accounts. 

Now if only Facebook had an interest in taking sides in rivalries  😛

cmat100
Adventurer
And now the moment of truth, but it will be a while before we find out what the result is......

I got my e-mail from Oculus - great device, great price, too good to be true....that's because it is.  My wallet stays in my pocket, sorry Zenbane.

But perhaps FB is correct in their strategy....will the flocks amass upon the FB Metaverse?

No point in commenting further, as we'll find out in probably six months from now.  Then the hat-eating can begin (but not sure where it will get anybody).

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

cmat100 said:

And now the moment of truth, but it will be a while before we find out what the result is......

I got my e-mail from Oculus - great device, great price, too good to be true....that's because it is.  My wallet stays in my pocket, sorry Zenbane.

But perhaps FB is correct in their strategy....will the flocks amass upon the FB Metaverse?

No point in commenting further, as we'll find out in probably six months from now.  Then the hat-eating can begin (but not sure where it will get anybody).

I think @cmat100 - most of the community on this forum were loyal Rift'er and they just found out that Oculus is not looking at them for their future support - so your wallet is secure 🙂
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

kevinw729 said:
most of the community on this forum were loyal Rift'er and they just found out that Oculus is not looking at them for their future support 

None of that is true. That's just finger-pointing and bait.  😄

You are obviously very upset about being wrong when you claimed that the Oculus brand is going away.
 🙂 

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevinw729 said:

cmat100 said:

I think @cmat100 - most of the community on this forum were loyal Rift'er and they just found out that Oculus is not looking at them for their future support - so your wallet is secure 🙂

As is mine LOL.
I hung in there with them when the Rift S came out, whilst many of my combat flight sim comrades were moving to Reverb.  Have had many, many hours of great fun with my Rift S , still do every day. 

This move by FB though with the Facebook Account requirement and now the Rift going away in favor of the Quest, the time has come. I want to purchase a product, not be the product for FB ya know.
No thanks, sure hoping my new Reverb G2 will be what I am looking for. Oculus will not be for me.
However I do get why they are doing what they are doing, and hope it continues to help grow the VR industry by leaps and bounds.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

dburne said:

kevinw729 said:

cmat100 said:

As is mine LOL.
I hung in there with them when the Rift S came out, whilst many of my combat flight sim comrades were moving to Reverb.  Have had many, many hours of great fun with my Rift S , still do every day. 

This move by FB though with the Facebook Account requirement and now the Rift going away in favor of the Quest, the time has come. I want to purchase a product, not be the product for FB ya know.
No thanks, sure hoping my new Reverb G2 will be what I am looking for. Oculus will not be for me.
However I do get why they are doing what they are doing, and hope it continues to help grow the VR industry by leaps and bounds.

At least this move by Oculus defines a cleat demarcation between the VR community - those that support Standalone and those that want High-end VR with PC. We had been waiting for some time for the reality of the situation to be revealed after the CV2 cancellation - no matter how hard it was ignored.