cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook account required for new Oculus hmd users Oct 2020 - existing users can wait to Jan 2023

RuneSR2
Level 16
More here:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/a-single-way-to-log-into-oculus-and-unlock-social-features/

Today, we’re announcing some important updates to how people log into Oculus devices, while still keeping their VR profile. Starting in October 2020:

• Everyone using an Oculus device for the first time will need to log in with a Facebook account.

• If you’re an existing user and already have an Oculus account, you’ll have the option to log in with Facebook and merge your Oculus and Facebook accounts.

• If you’re an existing user and choose not to merge your accounts, you can continue using your Oculus account for two years.

After January 1, 2023, we will end support for Oculus accounts. If you choose not to merge your accounts at that time, you can continue using your device, but full functionality will require a Facebook account. We will take steps to allow you to keep using content you have purchased, though we expect some games and apps may no longer work. This could be because they include features that require a Facebook account or because a developer has chosen to no longer support the app or game you purchased. All future unreleased Oculus devices will require a Facebook account, even if you already have an Oculus account.

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

1,250 REPLIES 1,250

kevinw729
Level 15

dburne said:

Yes, along with the TESTED review there seems to be a very big backlash against the platform from media that were positive about the original - as if something has changed in the packaging or the media handling?
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

dvc2112
Level 4

dburne said:

Thank you for that link!  Very informative review.  Happy to stick with my Q1 until 2023 then move on.

OmegaM4N
Level 11

Zenbane
Level 16
I found this review to be excessively nitpicky:
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/09/review-we-do-not-recommend-the-299-oculus-quest-2-as-your-nex...

They even complain about the strap, because they have to adjust it when they take the HMD on/off. LMAO? This is common, and I've been doing that with all my HMD's since day 1. Usually because they shift a bit over time during excessive play (e.g. boxing), or because I share it with other family members. It takes a few short seconds. Literally less than 20 seconds.

I have not pre-ordered a Quest 2 yet. I'm waiting to hear more reviews from multiple sources. I have no doubt that Quest 2 will have its shortcomings and trade-offs. But that review was written by someone whos only mission was to find flaws. It was a bit cringe to read lol

Worse, you must adjust this strap's fit every single time you put it on or take it off, since it works like a strap on a backpack or messenger bag: you must pull the strap through a pair of double-looped buckles. Quest 2 asks users to pull to the left to tighten, to the right to loosen. (Ever heard the phrase "righty-tighty, lefty-loosie," Facebook?) It feels clumsy and obnoxious every single time,

Antonyvw
Level 4

Zenbane said:

Facebook may have some issues in the news, but who cares? Their success is undeniable. One simple example is their Stock price. They are currently trading, consistently, at over $250 per share. It's getting closer to $270 as a new baseline. This is great for people like me who came in back when the stock was under $190!

I guess Im going to be a ranter now. Sorry.
Im guessing your shares in facebook give you that positive slant. Fair enough every one to his own likes, you make your choice, I will make mine. Those of us who see potentially good games on mobile which are totally ruined by the "must stop every few minutes" to watch at least 1 30 second add which you cant bypass, its another story. I for one do not want to be told in the middle of game action - "hang on for 30 seconds - here is an add for you". No sir. If I buy a game I want to play the game not watch ads. And as with everything else to do with facebook, that will happen. I dont want my VR so I can participate in social things - I have a great family for that, what I want is to just be able to play my game. I even stopped playing some of my favourite games (like sudoku) recently because all of a sudden its filled with "must agree to this that or the other "necessary" intrusion, on my privacy. Games - no correct that apps are not games, they are ads with a little bit of game thrown in. I do not want that for my VR experience. Facebook gathers far to much personal info. But them I blame the users for putting that info out there. Its just not for me.
Is VR development being driven by the game world or the business world? Im not going to get into that debate as I dont know the answer but I will add a comparison. PC advances were very much driven by the game industry. Before the advent of consols, it was game development on the PC that drove the likes of Intel and AMD to push the barriers. Much of the technology we now have now is as a result of PC games. Im not saying that is true of the VR situation, but if VR is to really take off then they need to convince the game players its worth the investment.

PattyGar1965
Level 3
I never used my account so I deleted it in 2016, now I can't make an account. A review was denied.  No way to talk to Facebook and find out why

Zenbane
Level 16

Antonyvw said:
 I for one do not want to be told in the middle of game action - "hang on for 30 seconds - here is an add for you". No sir.

I agree that this would be bad. But so far, this is not happening inside any VR games. Of all the free VR Games given to us by Facebook and Oculus, 0% of them have blasted add's in our face inside VR. Hopefully this trend continues!
 🙂 

dburne
Level 16

Antonyvw said:

Zenbane said:

Facebook may have some issues in the news, but who cares? Their success is undeniable. One simple example is their Stock price. They are currently trading, consistently, at over $250 per share. It's getting closer to $270 as a new baseline. This is great for people like me who came in back when the stock was under $190!

I guess Im going to be a ranter now. Sorry.
Im guessing your shares in facebook give you that positive slant. Fair enough every one to his own likes, you make your choice, I will make mine. Those of us who see potentially good games on mobile which are totally ruined by the "must stop every few minutes" to watch at least 1 30 second add which you cant bypass, its another story. I for one do not want to be told in the middle of game action - "hang on for 30 seconds - here is an add for you". No sir. If I buy a game I want to play the game not watch ads. And as with everything else to do with facebook, that will happen. I dont want my VR so I can participate in social things - I have a great family for that, what I want is to just be able to play my game. I even stopped playing some of my favourite games (like sudoku) recently because all of a sudden its filled with "must agree to this that or the other "necessary" intrusion, on my privacy. Games - no correct that apps are not games, they are ads with a little bit of game thrown in. I do not want that for my VR experience. Facebook gathers far to much personal info. But them I blame the users for putting that info out there. Its just not for me.
Is VR development being driven by the game world or the business world? Im not going to get into that debate as I dont know the answer but I will add a comparison. PC advances were very much driven by the game industry. Before the advent of consols, it was game development on the PC that drove the likes of Intel and AMD to push the barriers. Much of the technology we now have now is as a result of PC games. Im not saying that is true of the VR situation, but if VR is to really take off then they need to convince the game players its worth the investment.

Yes and the PC enthusiast market is still very much driven by gaming.
Heck look at how the launch goes for new Nvidia cards alone. Can't hardly get one the demand is so high.

For this reason I believe the PC-VR enthusiast market will still thrive for the companies that partake in it.
Certainly Quest with Link to some extent, but Oculus really will need to work on making it much easier for folks as right now there are still many that struggle getting it to work properly. 

Valve best I can tell still struggles to meet the demand on Index headsets. HP seems to be happy with the success of the Reverb with the G2 coming out here very soon, I know the first Reverb has been extremely popular with flight and racing sim enthusiast.  Even Pimax seems to be getting enough to keep their development going. And of course some others also.

I think it is in a good place, let Facebook go after growing the social aspect, and the others pick up the ball in the enthusiast PC-VR gamer market.
Rift CV1| Rift S| Quest| Reverb G2| Index

Zenbane
Level 16
The Nvidia cards have a high demand due to the Crypto-currency market:
https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/30/16949550/bitcoin-graphics-cards-pc-prices-surge

The few PC Gaming enthusiasts who remain end up getting the short end of the stick when trying to get their hands on a reasonably priced high-end GPU due to all the cryptominers buying in bulk.

So while PC Gaming is great, unfortunately it still pales in comparison to Mobile Gaming. For the last few years, Mobile gaming has outsold both PC Gaming and Console Gaming combined:
https://www.digitalinformationworld.com/2020/03/mobile-gaming-stands-above-console-and-pc-gaming-as-...

For those who want to yield the best ROI possible for VR Hardware and Software, then catering to the Mobile market, and the non-gaming market, will yield the best returns; at least for now.

Facebook's shift to Quest and Mobile VR can be seen as a decision to stop taking huge losses with Rift+PCVR, and finally start working towards a self-sustaining ecosystem that has a true ROI.

RuneSR2
Level 16
Just saw this:

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/75189/if-you-get-banned-from-facebook-could-oculus-too/index.html

If you log in using your Facebook account or merge your Oculus and Facebook accounts and violate the Facebook Community Standards, Conduct in VR Policy or other terms and policies on any of our platforms your access to or use of Oculus products may be impacted. If your account is fully disabled as a result of this violation, you may also lose access to your [games and content]. We are committed to keeping all of our platforms safer," a spokesperson told RoadToVR.

Ever since game platforms have had user accounts, the possibility of getting yourself banned and cut off from your content has always been there. However, the actions that could get you banned have always been directly tied to the game account itself. With this new change, if you get banned from Facebook for something that doesn't involve Oculus, you could also lose access to your Oculus content.

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"