cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook account required for new Oculus hmd users Oct 2020 - existing users can wait to Jan 2023

RuneSR2
Level 15
More here:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/a-single-way-to-log-into-oculus-and-unlock-social-features/

Today, we’re announcing some important updates to how people log into Oculus devices, while still keeping their VR profile. Starting in October 2020:

• Everyone using an Oculus device for the first time will need to log in with a Facebook account.

• If you’re an existing user and already have an Oculus account, you’ll have the option to log in with Facebook and merge your Oculus and Facebook accounts.

• If you’re an existing user and choose not to merge your accounts, you can continue using your Oculus account for two years.

After January 1, 2023, we will end support for Oculus accounts. If you choose not to merge your accounts at that time, you can continue using your device, but full functionality will require a Facebook account. We will take steps to allow you to keep using content you have purchased, though we expect some games and apps may no longer work. This could be because they include features that require a Facebook account or because a developer has chosen to no longer support the app or game you purchased. All future unreleased Oculus devices will require a Facebook account, even if you already have an Oculus account.

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

1,250 REPLIES 1,250

dburne
Level 15
LOL I smell a lawsuit a comin.
Rift CV1| Rift S| Quest| Reverb G2| Index| Vive Pro 2

Zenbane
Level 15
nah, he took the reddit sympathy route for a reason. If he believed he was truly a victim, then he would have provided the original content that caused the ban. If he tries to go for a lawsuit, then he would have to show it. Or at least... Facebook would show it for him. Then everyone would see what he really said. I doubt he wants that.

Zenbane
Level 15
A few things I noticed after speed-reading that entire reddit thread (fml),

• He posted images of messages he got from Facebook.
  • He posted images of medical info provided by his doctor.
  • He never shows what he actually said.
  • He specifically stated that he doesn't want to sue Facebook.
  • redditors could find no record of this supposed Oculus VR post he claims to have made.

Now, after reading everything, I will concede that his VR post (assuming he actually made one) about hurting his neck was likely quite innocent. However, it seems that this was not the reason for his ban. The reddit thread, and some Twitter posts, make reference to the fact that this person was involved with speaking about guns and hate groups on Facebook. And he was recently associated with a Facebook Page that has been deleted, which was associated with a hate group.

https://twitter.com/Cirieno_/status/1340224253984169985

I think it's safe to say that the VR post likely had nothing to do with his banning.

I knew there was more to the story lol

kevinw729
Level 15
From the reaction on Reddit and other forums to this post - seems the attacks on the poster were unwarrented.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

OmegaM4N
Level 11

kevinw729 said:

From the reaction on Reddit and other forums to this post - seems the attacks on the poster were unwarrented.

Nothing new there, remember the elite strap issues and the consumers who dared complain their expensive elite strap had broken with normal use, who were then immediately piled on and blamed for breaking it, so nothing changes....of course the crazy thing about that kind of stance from the white knights of FB is that if it were not for consumers being vocal we would all right now be sitting with our Quest 1/2 locked to the FB quest store only with no PC link option and everyone sitting with broken £50 head straps while all the Q2 launch buyers sit and watch every new Q2 owner enjoy a free copy of Asgards wrath, so the white knights should take heed at just how much more consumer freindly their FB VR experience is today because of those consumers. 😉

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

kevinw729
Level 15

OmegaM4N said:

kevinw729 said:

Nothing new there, remember the elite strap issues and the consumers who dared complain their expensive elite strap had broken with normal use, who were then immediately piled on and blamed for breaking it, so nothing changes....of course the crazy thing about that kind of stance from the white knights of FB is that if it were not for consumers being vocal we would all right now be sitting with our Quest 1/2 locked to the FB quest store only with no PC link option and everyone sitting with broken £50 head straps while all the Q2 launch buyers sit and watch every new Q2 owner enjoy a free copy of Asgards wrath, so the white knights should take heed at just how much more consumer freindly their FB VR experience is today because of those consumers. 😉

Have to say I am not very sanguine about the personal
attacks made. Claims from numerous sources that the individual was
"playing the victim" seem to point to a modus operandi on the forums
of attacking anyone that does not bang the drum in support or draws light to not so
perfect conditions. Seeing posters attempt to claim the individual did things he
did not, smacks of personal attack and bullying.

I will leave that there - as I think its best we draw a line under that kind of
behaviour, as the moderators will surely agree with me on.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
Level 15

kevinw729 said:
Have to say I am not very sanguine about the personal
attacks made. Claims from numerous sources that the individual was
"playing the victim" seem to point to a modus operandi on the forums
of attacking anyone that does not bang the drum in support or draws light to not so
perfect conditions. Seeing posters attempt to claim the individual did things he
did not, smacks of personal attack and bullying. 

I will leave that there - as I think its best we draw a line under that kind of
behaviour, as the moderators will surely agree with me on.

I'm not attacking anyone on this forum, I'm only talking about the redditor. Whereas you seem to be clearly attacking members of this forum. Since you brought up the Mods, we can get them involved to help remedy the situation asap.

Zenbane
Level 15

OmegaM4N said:
Nothing new there, remember the elite strap issues and the consumers who dared complain their expensive elite strap had broken with normal use, who were then immediately piled on and blamed for breaking it, so nothing changes....of course the crazy thing about that kind of stance from the white knights of FB is that if it were not for consumers being vocal we would all right now be sitting with our Quest 1/2 locked to the FB quest store only with no PC link option and everyone sitting with broken £50 head straps while all the Q2 launch buyers sit and watch every new Q2 owner enjoy a free copy of Asgards wrath, so the white knights should take heed at just how much more consumer freindly their FB VR experience is today because of those consumers.

This assumes that Facebook and Oculus are making decisions based on what is said on this forum. However, the fact is that Facebook and Oculus tend to get their feedback from reddit and customer support tickets. The complaints on this forum really only impact each other, hence all the baiting.

I don't think that there are any White Knights on this forum; it just may appear that way because there are those who choose to reply some of the anti-Oculus and anti-Facebook baiting that takes place so often. A White Knight is someone who believes that their product of choice can "do no wrong," and nobody has ever taken that position from what I have seen. Defending against negative bait and rhetoric doesn't constitute the "White Knight" label.

Techy111
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Warning to all. Keeps all replies polite and to the point, no if, buts or maybe's.

Thanks
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

snowdog
Level 15

Zenbane said:

While I did say that this individual is playing the victim, I did not claim that his accusation is false.

I simply would like to see the original post, to see exactly what this person said that caused Facebook to respond.

This person is making it seem like all they did was post something like,

"I broke my neck using the Oculus Rift. Be careful using VR. Peace and love to all."

And then Facebook was like, "OMFG-DELETE-BAN-SILENCE!"

When his original post could have been something like,

"Thanks to Facebook's negligence and Zuckerberg's worship of Lord Satan, I have broken my neck using their products, which was entirely their fault, and Zuckerberg's mother is a lizard queen who eats children. I hope Facebook ____ their ____ all over their ___ and Mark end ups ____ on a ____ with a ____ up his _____. DIE DIE DIE"

I would just like to take this opportunity to point out if his original post resembled that last option he wouldn't have got banned because ALMOST everything in that post would have been true. The Zuckerberg family do NOT worship Satan. Everyone knows they worship Mammon instead. True story. B)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammon

😄 😄 😄
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever