cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook account required?

EarlGrey
Expert Protege
I decided to purchase a GearVR headset, I look on the box but could not find any indication that a facebook registration was required... but it was one of the first obstacles I encountered. I was almost like inevitable that I had to register for facebook to get my gear vr working.
I did google what was going on, and what was happening is that I had already disabled all of the facebook services on my phone, they were stone cold dead, because that's how I like face book, stone cold dead, I stone want to use facebook, never used them and dont want to use them.
And then I buy gear vr, from samsung and oculus, and I can't use it without having facebook installed.... they want access to my photos, phone numbers, and god knows what else.
I want a refund, please send me $110 to my paypal account, thank you, you're  breaking the EU law here, totally. Next step is going to my government complaining about this, because this is illegal, perfectly illegal, to force a membership to something that is not advertised. 
46 REPLIES 46

EarlGrey
Expert Protege
I looked on the box, I can't find anything about facebook, but I could not use the device without a facebook account.

EarlGrey
Expert Protege
I'll buy another headset tomorrow and ask for another refund. This is the stupidest refund I can think of.

AKSkinz
Explorer
I don't use a facebook account... just a gmail address

HiThere_
Superstar
The stupidest thing you can do is ask for a refund to buy the same headset again, only to obviously run into the exact same software issue again...

If you can't figure out how to use the GearVR without a Facebook account, ask in the "Support" sub-forum how to do it. And at least try spending more then "8 minutes" to decide nobody was fast enough to answer your question, and that it's time to recreate the same issue with another GearVR...

PS : You know it's the weekend, right ?

kojack
MVP
MVP
f3bogg8wxxdn.jpgHere's my phone installing GearVR. I've never had a facebook account.

The bit in the red circle is for Oculus accounts, NOT FACEBOOK. You already have an Oculus account, that's how you've been posting on here for 3 years.

EarlGrey said:

This is the stupidest refund I can think of.

🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

EarlGrey said:

I decided to purchase a GearVR headset

Umm... why? You saw the "Powered by Oculus" logo, right?

I ask because I remember one of your last posts titled, "Lost all respect for Zuckerberg and Oculus"

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/43099/lost-all-respect-for-zuckerberg-and-oculus/p1

Did you read another article about Facebook that pissed you off or something? 
 :# 

Never used facebook with my Gear VR.

I am noticing a lot more facebook stuff on this forum though, such as the error every time i log out.

z98fyg1yn5gw.jpg
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

EarlGrey said:

I decided to purchase a GearVR headset, I look on the box but could not find any indication that a facebook registration was required... but it was one of the first obstacles I encountered. I was almost like inevitable that I had to register for facebook to get my gear vr working.
I did google what was going on, and what was happening is that I had already disabled all of the facebook services on my phone, they were stone cold dead, because that's how I like face book, stone cold dead, I stone want to use facebook, never used them and dont want to use them.
And then I buy gear vr, from samsung and oculus, and I can't use it without having facebook installed.... they want access to my photos, phone numbers, and god knows what else.
I want a refund, please send me $110 to my paypal account, thank you, you're  breaking the EU law here, totally. Next step is going to my government complaining about this, because this is illegal, perfectly illegal, to force a membership to something that is not advertised. 

Dear Theresa,

Facebook is dry-humping me.  Please make them stop.

Yours,

EarlGrey

Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

elboffor
Consultant
The fail is strong in this thread 
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.