cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebooks Definition of the "Metaverse"!

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

kevinw729_0-1627985864095.png

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/29/facebook-metaverse-plans-to-make-money.html

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
6 REPLIES 6

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

In case some may ask: "what does metaverse really mean?" 

RuneSR2_0-1628002852446.png

- here's an explanation from Wikipedia so that everything is completely clear 

RuneSR2_2-1628002924338.png

"The Metaverse is a collective virtual shared space including the sum of all virtual worlds and the Internet. It may contain derivatives or copies of the real world, but it is distinct from augmented reality. The word "metaverse" is made up of the prefix "meta" (meaning beyond) and the stem "verse" (a backformation from "universe"); the term is typically used to describe the concept of a future iteration of the internet, made up of persistent, shared, 3D virtual spaces linked into a perceived virtual universe."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaverse

I do like the explanation better from CNBC:

"[...] the concept of the “metaverse,” the classic sci-fi term for a virtual world you can live, work and play inside. If you’ve seen the movie “Ready Player One,” you have a pretty good idea of what the metaverse is: Strap on a set of computerized glasses, and you’re transported into a digital universe where anything is possible.

So Metaverse is just another name for Horizon (more or less with some expansions) ? 

RuneSR2_3-1628003241631.png

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable

No interest in any metaverse on my end.

Maybe, if there're no kids in there. I do not spend my sparetime with (ill-mannered) kids and teenagers - well apart from my own, lol. 

Trying BigScreen with all those kids was a truly horrible experience, but interesting to see how things develop. 

I'd like to go shopping in a VR supermarket and have my groceries delivered 😁

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Thanks for sharing this basic definition - its needed to get more grounded in what it is rather than the anticipation of what it might do down the road. Many feel this is more a Investors Elevator pitch statement to counter coming news from other parties. 

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Nekto2
Superstar

That is not "definition". That is only how to earn money from it 🙂

We do not know yet what it will be.

So we could discuss what it will be 🙂

But for sure it will not be "one single app" 🙂

Nekto2
Superstar

So... how this news looks like after all this month? 🙂

> In case some may ask: "what does metaverse really mean?"

I think I know what is the key difference of Metaverse unlike all we have now. 🙂

A "service" will be able to make an agreement with another "service" and sign a contract without any human interaction! 🙂

And all that is done as a result of people actions in visual VR space (or not only in VR).

Let's say a person have some video stored in a cloud and wants to see it in a VR cinema. But his headset could not support video format and size. So video need to be converted (by other service) and streamed (with a third service) to his headset.

To do this first "service" will talk to other to help it with a video conversion. Then first "service" will pay other one with a money (obvious), data (allow to use that video for own purpose), other data (usage stats, etc), digital money or goods, resources (cpu, storage, data channels, electricity etc).

They will agree on parameters (format, size, speed, time slot ....) and sign a contract (one time task or subscription). That contract and history record of event time will be stored in a Metaverse blockchain (tree like, so to keep it small enough and split in parts).

Some unexpected events could be listed in contract also so it could be ended if: file is broken, wrong format or size, can't prove video/film ownership (there could be request to some 3rd "service" to check for license), video has some wrong content, force major etc.

There could be "services" to provide lists of known good "services" and their features. So a person could configure which one to use for auto find others. Those could make checks so they will now that the list is up to date and all there are ok to make contracts with.

Any interaction/contract will leave a trail. So if there are some wrong activity it could be traced based on 3rd party stored signed data.

You could take Bitcoin infrastructure as an example. A person could buy servers, install bitcoin server software and configure it. Next they will talk to other servers on their own (without his additional actions) and earn money (mining).

Same way a person will be able to buy a server, install some Metaverse "service" software, configure parameters and KPIs and then will earn with it.

There could be converters, VR world servers, auth servers, messaging servers, storage (3D objects, worlds, media, images, audio, films....), streaming servers, license tracking, ownership tracking, blockchain hosts, list keepers, physics calculation servers, multplayer game servers, rendering servers and more. All of them will be Metaverse.

You could think that companies with a lower prices will won. But that will not be the case. It is more important that a "service" has a time slot and resources to do your task in time. And distance could be a factor (so local "services" will be better for fast actions and big files processing (slow to upload to remote server)).

That could be core services net for a Metaverse. But all that will be under the hood for most people.

They will enjoy nice VR worlds and solve their real world needs in them 🙂

Let's it happen! 🙂