cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feeling a Little Sketched Out by Oculus Home

Anonymous
Not applicable
The more I think about it, Oculus Home launching on time while they gave us all the impression that everything was on schedule was a pretty sketchy move.

I had a March shipping estimate. I got an email before launch day saying my rift would ship in 1-3 weeks. The propriety, hardware-locked store launched right on time. I ordered software to be ready for my imminently arriving rift. Now the date's moved back another month and I find myself sitting on a library full of software that I can't use and am not able to get a refund for. Yeah. No refunds. After the pre-order-day "surprise" of a price that turned out to be nearly double what they strongly implied that it would be, I'm really not getting good vibes from this place. Feels awfully bait-and-switch. Again. Either this company is extremely customer-unfriendly or seriously mismanaged... and I don't know which is worse. The third option - that they are a good company stuck with a bad situation - is being undermined by their attitude towards their customers.
5 REPLIES 5

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee
Allow me to summarize...
Omg I don't trust Oculus because they've only shipped a few Rifts.

Omg I don't trust Oculus because they delivered oculus home on time so the people that did get Rifts can use them.

Anonymous
Not applicable

TwoHedWlf said:

Allow me to summarize...

Omg I don't trust Oculus because they've only shipped a few Rifts.

Omg I don't trust Oculus because they delivered oculus home on time so the people that did get Rifts can use them.

No... Launching for the people who did get rifts obviously makes sense, but telling the customers who are MONTHS away from getting one that they'll have one any day and then driving them to buy expensive, hardware-locked software is not ethical.

VRRabbit
Protege
Unfortunately, since Oculus hasn't actually sold you a Rift, the preorders are just a promise that you will be getting a rift at some point in the future. There really is nothing you can do about it. If Oculus had billed you for the Oculus and promised a delivery date which they could not adhere to then you might have an argument. Any software you purchased from the store is still available to you to use, whether you have the hardware or not is on you, kind of like if you buy a car stereo but don't own a car. It's not really grounds to sue the company that sold you the radio.

Anonymous
Not applicable

VRRabbit said:

Unfortunately, since Oculus hasn't actually sold you a Rift, the preorders are just a promise that you will be getting a rift at some point in the future. There really is nothing you can do about it. If Oculus had billed you for the Oculus and promised a delivery date which they could not adhere to then you might have an argument. Any software you purchased from the store is still available to you to use, whether you have the hardware or not is on you, kind of like if you buy a car stereo but don't own a car. It's not really grounds to sue the company that sold you the radio.

No. They did promise dates. Not specific ones, but windows. I had a March pre-order and was followed up with a 1-3 week email before launch. Not "maybe 1-3 weeks." They didn't have to send that. They chose to do so. It's like they sold me that car and then called my house just before they estimated it would arrive to say it was coming soon and sold me a stereo over the phone. Then they bumped it back another two months, so I'm holding this stereo and have no car. Also, none of the software will even launch without a rift.

Edit: It's also not true that there's nothing to be done. I submitted a support request to see how they intend to handle it. I haven't decided if I'm jumping ship or not yet, but I want to know my options. If they will not offer me the option of a refund, then I'll file a charge dispute with my credit card company for the software orders and cancel my rift order.

luqman
Explorer
Lmfao, takin the PI$$, order has now been pushed back to late June, only
way I will stay with Oculus is if they give touch controller with rift
for FREE.