cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Few questions about OR

Lleajy
Honored Guest
I've been following the OR from afar, and now that the price starts to hit in the range that interests me, I'll ask few questions before investing :

Do we have news about the development of the next version ? Do we have a date / estimation ? I'm a SC backer too, I don't want to buy a version to have an other one popping 1 or 2 years after that could provide a way better experience...

I have a gtx 780 (non ti), the hardware evaluation program says my gpu is not up to the challenge. Is it really impossible to run the OR with it Or there's a range of game that I will run without problem ? if It's impossible to run games what about simple PC utilisation / video ? This is part of my hesitation, I will change the GPU a bit before SC's release...

7 REPLIES 7

edmg
Trustee
There's no Rift-killer on the horizon. Last I remember Oculus saying was no new headset before the end of 2018. There's at least one new SteamVR headset coming, but the specs I've seen don't look significantly better than RIft or Vive. Also a few Microsoft headsets, but who knows when Steam will support them.

CrashFu
Consultant
Oculus has no currently announced plans to release a "Generation 2 Rift", however they ARE planning to launch a stand-alone VR device  (that requires no computer or phone to operate) for somewhere around $200 sometime next year. I haven't heard if any concrete hardware specs have been announced for that yet, but I'm assuming it will be comparable to the currently-available Samsung Gear VR  (just without having to buy a $500 phone).   IE, it won't be quite as amazing an experience as the PC Rift, but it will likely be a fun (and extremely portable) entertainment device in its own right.

As for your current hardware and the minimum spec for using the Rift.. it looks like the minimum required hardware is a GTX 960 or AMD R9 290.  With anything less than that, it's hard to say what kind of apps you could run if any.

So my suggestion is either to upgrade your PC, preferably to the Recommended Spec  (or just buy a certified Oculus-Ready PC altogether) if you can afford it...  otherwise, maybe look into those budget stand-alone devices when they come out next year?
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Lleajy
Honored Guest
Well my PC is quite good, just the gpu that is ok, but starts to be a bit old for the fancy tech coming out, like VR.

My problem being the 1080 price. with the cost of the OR, that's 2/3 of a good PC price.

200$ means it's either garbage gadget or it requires something else. BTW my goal is to run it for PC content, a standalone isn't what I'm looking for.

falken76
Expert Consultant
You need to upgrade your video card and that doesn't mean you need to upgrade to the best one.  A 1060 will cost you $200 to $250, a 1080 will cost you anywhere between $500 and $1,000.  Is a 1080 really your only option for video upgrade?  If so and cost is an issue, forget about VR completely and come back when you feel more realistic about what you need to upgrade to and how much you'll spend to do so.l  A 1080 card is not a requirement for VR.  If that's the card you are interested in because you absolutely must have 4k gaming, you will most likely be disappointed in the resolution limitations on the rift.

mrhomely
Protege
My 1070 had been absolutely flawless. So if you don't feel like spending the 1080 prices or want to go a little cheaper I bet the 1060 would work for pretty much anything. 

Syrellaris
Rising Star

falken76 said:

You need to upgrade your video card and that doesn't mean you need to upgrade to the best one.  A 1060 will cost you $200 to $250, a 1080 will cost you anywhere between $500 and $1,000.  Is a 1080 really your only option for video upgrade?  If so and cost is an issue, forget about VR completely and come back when you feel more realistic about what you need to upgrade to and how much you'll spend to do so.l  A 1080 card is not a requirement for VR.  If that's the card you are interested in because you absolutely must have 4k gaming, you will most likely be disappointed in the resolution limitations on the rift.

The Radeon RX Vega 56 and 64 are coming out in about 14-15 days, they have respectfully price ranges of 399, 499 and 599 usd / Eur depending on which version you pick up. the 499 one is air cooled and competes with the 1080 (not the 1080 ti). Might be a worthwhile upgrade depending on benchmarks, tech reviews etc.

If it is 4k gaming you want and have the monitors to support it, your probably going to be better of picking up a radeon RX vega anyway over a GTX 1070 - 1080 (ti). The only real downside is that they are more power hungry then the GTX cards.

cleanupdisc
Adventurer
First guy ive ever seen call the Oculus Rift , OR. Its just infuriating me for some reason. Maybe its because he used it in the title. Just call it the Rift. OR makes it seem like you mean oregon, or who knows. #ImTriggered