Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware v32 Examination Reveals Hints of Quest Pro with Face/Eye Tracking

kojack
MVP
MVP

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-quest-pro-eye-face-tracking/

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/pmxx7z/v32_firmware_dive_oculus_quest_pro_references/

An examination of the latest Quest firmware showed a number of strings related to a Quest Pro model. Here's some of the strings:

• SMILE NATURALLY UNTIL THE CALIBRATION IS COMPLETE. YOU MAY NEED TO HOLD THIS POSE FOR A FEW SECONDS.
  • SHOW AN ANGRY EXPRESSION UNTIL THE CALIBRATION IS COMPLETE. YOU MAY NEED TO HOLD THIS POSE FOR A FEW SECONDS.
  • FACE MOVEMENT ESTIMATION COMPLETE
  • FOLLOW THE TARGET WITH YOUR GAZE
  • EYE MOVEMENT ESTIMATION COMPLETE
  • PRESS AND HOLD THE DEPTH BUTTON AND MOVE THE HEADSET CLOSER OR FURTHER AWAY FROM YOUR FACE. THE LENSES SHOULD BE CLOSE TO YOUR EYES, BUT NOT CAUSE DISCOMFORT.

Expression estimation and eye movement estimation. I wonder how they are doing this? EEG headsets like the Emotiv Epoc can do things like this by sensing electrical signals to muscles in your face. I'm guessing Oculus would go with camera based methods though.

The last one there is interesting. The Rift-S has a depth adjustment, but this is the Quest firmware. Either some strings got left in there by accident when porting some stuff over, or the Quest Pro has an extra adjustment. If the whole headset moves as suggested above, then it must be using some kind of halo headband.

Of course nothing is guaranteed, but sounds interesting!

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
8 REPLIES 8

Every time I think it's a good idea to replace my Quest 1 with a Quest 2... rumours emerge of something else on the horizon although I'm guessing the horizon is middle of next year in this case.

Yeah the eye relief thing stuck out a bit. Probably that adjustment is a requirement to getting good tracking results. I'll start practicing my natural smile/angry expressions now. 😊😠

kojack
MVP
MVP

Yeah, it might still be a while before it comes out. It's also possible that they make it an enterprise only headset.

Either way, Facebook isn't going to admit anything, they kept their lips sealed when the Quest 2 photos and box leaked.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

I have a feeling they think expressions are an important part of the Workrooms and Horizon interactions. I'm betting on commercial implementation but whether it's a pro headset feature or not is another matter.

It would be interesting to have a situation where only the top-tier headset users can show their feelings!

kojack
MVP
MVP

The really important question... did they quickly strip these strings out of v33 that just released? 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Gosh, I think it was back in 2016? or 2017? When I first posted this image as one of my "big wishes" for VR and eye-tracking support:

Zenbane_1-1631630044632.png

While I tend to focus more on the non-gaming aspect of VR these days... I must admit that when eye-tracking is finally a defacto standard (similar to hand-controllers), I will most certainly be checking quite regularly to see when we get the first Superman game that has full featured Eye Lasers via VR eye-tracking!

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if this comes with the next Quest since Zuckerberg talks about facial feature recognition quite often when discussing the VR Avatars.

@kojack wrote:

The really important question... did they quickly strip these strings out of v33 that just released?

shhhhh_keep_it_down_walking_dead.gif

You could declare any of your current expression as "smile" during calibration. No need to practice 😄

Nekto2
Superstar

Great news! 🙂

Now you could make an "immersive News screen"! Best thing in VR is visual screen with FOV enough to put lot's of data sources at once.

You could put small icons of every data source you need (world news, business news, you family news, sports, weather and even your smart house data). Color will give you info on how important and "active/breaking" that news is. And eye tracking will help you to zoom in that news instantly! 🙂

So you could see with a single gaze how green/red is whole world, earth glob, your family, your business (on same enormous screen) and then focus on what is more important for you now.

(or black/white, or use any colors you choose)

That means "data providers APIs" will become new services you could integrate instantly in with your "metaverse" News screen.

And with face expression you could "Like" or "Dislike" that news instantly :))