Nedo
Level 3
Hello Rifters!
So i spend the last evening with the Rift for the first time,
and what can i say, don't know where to start, this thing is really
a game changer!
For me was the scale and the 3D (especially very close things) the
most impressive, it is F***** GREAT! I have all kind of 3D devices at home,
TV, Camera and so on, but this 3D is so close to the reality, you WANT to touch it, unbelievable!
I tested around 15 Demos, ive seen so many crazy reactions at the Rollercoaster demo on
youtube, but for me this demo was just ok, nothing more, no vertigo or so, maybe its
because i'm a real paraglider and know how it feels high up ๐Ÿ˜‰
All the cockpit games where you fly around a planet are so beautiful, flying in formation
with another plane/ship is so intense and at the same time it felt so naturally. For me
there is no more flying in front of a 2D Monitor with trackIR, it makes absolutely no sense anymore.
I'm sure the same will happen with racing games too, i cant wait to test pCars with the Rift!!!
Then there was this diving demo, sharks around you, i knew what can happen because i saw it
on a youtube video, i was really scared, looking around like crazy then this huge whale came and
i mean HUGE! watching him past me by slowlyโ€ฆ after that i had to put the Rift off, the fear of the
sharks won! LOL this would never happen in front of a standard Monitor.

I just wish the Resolution would be higher, right now its ok for testing things out with the Rift,
but the consumer version definitely needs a higher Resolution. And positional tracking is really
needed, i was flying this Heli-Sim Demo and i missed the opportunity to lean outside the cockpit,
a half meter to each side would be for most of the cockpit games enough. This Heli-Sim also gave me
a short kind of motion sickness feeling, but only when i started flying crazy with high G-Turns,
so i slowed the pace and it was again ok. While playing FPS i was mostly standing in RL, it
feels just right, but using the joystick to turn around gives a feeling towards motions sickness,
i used it but carefully and it was again ok.

At 2:30am i went to bed finally LOL
I enjoyed the Rift very much, i also had a few glasses of red wine (its ok i'm 44), it was a nice evening!

I wanna thank Palmer & the Oculus Team for such an incredible peace of Hardware,
i waited sooo long but it is ALL that worth!

Thank you!

Best regards
Nedo
Order DK1 Mar 30, 2013 / Order DK2: Mar 19, 2014 / Order CV1: Jan 6, 2016 / Order HTC Vive Feb 29, 2016
12 REPLIES 12

Ganjaroach
Level 3
"golem09" wrote:
I don't have mine yet, but I already know what my first two demos will be:
1. Tuscany
2. Titans of Space

Very psyched for both of those.

I haven't tried a lot of demos yet but Proton pulse and Qbeh are really fun games to play in the rift. Also minecraft is very cool to see stuff to full scale.

NATED066
Level 3
"ganjaroach" wrote:
"golem09" wrote:
I don't have mine yet, but I already know what my first two demos will be:
1. Tuscany
2. Titans of Space

Very psyched for both of those.

I haven't tried a lot of demos yet but Proton pulse and Qbeh are really fun games to play in the rift. Also minecraft is very cool to see stuff to full scale.

If you haven't tried Titans of Space yet, do it now! It's amazing and for some reason you barely notice the screen door effect at all.

Additionally, you get no nausea from Titans so it's a great demo to show friends and family.

๐Ÿ™‚

mstdesigns
Level 2
Received my devkit today! Ok, I was blown away :shock:

I first tried it with my contacts on, but even when I removed them and tried it with my glasses it was still the same experience, it's not really difficult if you tweak it a bit.

1) The resolution is better than expected, still needs improvement though. However, I would be happy with an HD rift and more than happy with a 1600p one.
2) I was concerned about the FOV especially when we saw the Infiniteye has a 210 degree FOV. People describing the rift as looking through goggles are using the wrong word or doing something wrong. The rift was covering 100% of my front FOV with A cups (even when wearing my glasses) and only when looking at the sides I could see black edges. The top down FOV is perfect and really small improvements are needed. The FOV is much much greater than I expected. A 120 degree FOV would be great for the next 5-10 years.
3) Nausea. Ok this was much much worse than I expected. The weird thing is that the most relaxing experience for me was rift coaster. In Half life 2 I became dizzy within the first 3 minutes of the game.

Minecrift was the best demo I tried. Especially when I stood up, it felt like being in the minecraft world. I literally lost contact with the physical world! ๐Ÿ˜„