Nedo
Level 3
Hello Rifters!
So i spend the last evening with the Rift for the first time,
and what can i say, don't know where to start, this thing is really
a game changer!
For me was the scale and the 3D (especially very close things) the
most impressive, it is F***** GREAT! I have all kind of 3D devices at home,
TV, Camera and so on, but this 3D is so close to the reality, you WANT to touch it, unbelievable!
I tested around 15 Demos, ive seen so many crazy reactions at the Rollercoaster demo on
youtube, but for me this demo was just ok, nothing more, no vertigo or so, maybe its
because i'm a real paraglider and know how it feels high up ๐Ÿ˜‰
All the cockpit games where you fly around a planet are so beautiful, flying in formation
with another plane/ship is so intense and at the same time it felt so naturally. For me
there is no more flying in front of a 2D Monitor with trackIR, it makes absolutely no sense anymore.
I'm sure the same will happen with racing games too, i cant wait to test pCars with the Rift!!!
Then there was this diving demo, sharks around you, i knew what can happen because i saw it
on a youtube video, i was really scared, looking around like crazy then this huge whale came and
i mean HUGE! watching him past me by slowlyโ€ฆ after that i had to put the Rift off, the fear of the
sharks won! LOL this would never happen in front of a standard Monitor.

I just wish the Resolution would be higher, right now its ok for testing things out with the Rift,
but the consumer version definitely needs a higher Resolution. And positional tracking is really
needed, i was flying this Heli-Sim Demo and i missed the opportunity to lean outside the cockpit,
a half meter to each side would be for most of the cockpit games enough. This Heli-Sim also gave me
a short kind of motion sickness feeling, but only when i started flying crazy with high G-Turns,
so i slowed the pace and it was again ok. While playing FPS i was mostly standing in RL, it
feels just right, but using the joystick to turn around gives a feeling towards motions sickness,
i used it but carefully and it was again ok.

At 2:30am i went to bed finally LOL
I enjoyed the Rift very much, i also had a few glasses of red wine (its ok i'm 44), it was a nice evening!

I wanna thank Palmer & the Oculus Team for such an incredible peace of Hardware,
i waited sooo long but it is ALL that worth!

Thank you!

Best regards
Nedo
Order DK1 Mar 30, 2013 / Order DK2: Mar 19, 2014 / Order CV1: Jan 6, 2016 / Order HTC Vive Feb 29, 2016
12 REPLIES 12

Vriend
Level 2
Nice review man ๐Ÿ™‚

hope you can enjoy it for a long time, mine is arriving next week and also very exited here to start testing it

Happy rifting! :mrgreen:

outlander
Level 2
Red wine eh - must have been the Tuscany demo ๐Ÿ˜›
Glad you are enjoying it! It's great to finally see such a rush of people getting their units (it seems like almost everyone!).
Christmas in July!

mra
Level 3
Thx for the nice review.
Same for me, got my rift yesterday and went to bed at 2:30 am ๐Ÿ˜‰

1. It is really immersive experience, head tracking is perfect. Thank you oculus!
2. Resolution is poor (ok dev kit, but ...), will comment later on that issue.
3. Tuscany Demo made me sick. Standing up helps a lot in some demos, but controlling game/content via Gamepad/mouse does not feel naturally and you definitely feel that something is wrong.

Fired up nearly all demos in my collection (~20).

RiftCoaster - ok, but not so great overall
BouncerVR - Great, near to perfect!!!
Delta Draconis - Great, changed the controls to fit my preferences and enjoyed flying by other ships and watching them from all perspectives

Many other demos, like all the Space Demos are nice too.

Later I watched some youtube videos of rift gameplays. What worked best by mirroring the display and watching videos in fullscreen that had already applied the barrel distortion.

Thinking about the poor resolution and the screen door effect, I do not think that a better resolution, like 1080p, will help that much. Cranking up the resolution like 4k will help to resolve that issue, but will bring up others like graphic performance, latency, ...

Maybe we need to thing about some optical solution that will bring the outer pixels to the center of the screen to have a higher pixel density on the sweet spot, where the focus of the rift lenses is.

Overall it was a great experience. Thank you oculus for a great product!

Ganjaroach
Level 3
Just got my rift like 5 hours ago, I'm very impressed and have had no sickness just when I take off the rift my eyes feel like they aren't focusing correctly. My gf was unable to play any fps demos she got really sick moving around and had to lay down playing the Tuscany Demo and she wouldn't try the coaster. :lol: She tried the proton pulse demo and had no sickness or anything from it and was able to play for a good 10 mins. The 3d effect is nice but I noticed if I don't have it in the "sweet spot" its a bit blurry. The pixels aren't that big and I got use to it pretty fast. I used the config utility but its only working on the Tuscany demo how do I get it to work on the other unity demos? Setting up dual monitor is a pain making the rift primary so I'm using clone and that adds a bit of lag I tried doing the -adapter 1 but It did nothing..

I downloaded the torrent of the demos and been trying them slowly does anyone have any recommendations for what I should be trying first? I have tried bluemarble, jumpstarvr, MotM, Tuscany ,Proton pluse, skyrifters, spacewalk, titansOfspace, and Yunalus(Lol at this demo).

All in all I am impressed but I think a lot of the "reaction" videos are fake or just over reacting. The roller coaster demo was really cool but did not make me freak out or anything like I have seen in so many videos and I hate roller coasters in real life. I have say it was well worth the wait and can't wait to see this technology in a few years! ๐Ÿ˜„

NATED066
Level 3
Best game on the rift so far (for me) has been the Half Life 2 series. ๐Ÿ˜„

I really want to get something along the lines of a sharpshooter though, cause using a controller can be a bit disorienting.

I'm thinking of picking up the Mag II gun for now. I know it's not great but I'm thinking for the immersion it will be so much better than a controller...

The 3d effect is nice but I noticed if I don't have it in the "sweet spot" its a bit blurry.

Ganja, have you tried the different lenses, and adjusted the distance dial? I've cycled through them all and (for me) by far the B cups are the best. Also, I don't know if you've downloaded the latest SDK but it has a config tool which may help.

As far as the 3D effect... I wouldn't even call it that. For me it's nothing like the corny effects you see at 3D movies, for me it's kinda just like real life, only more pixelated.

It's amazing and I will be a day one purchaser of the consumer version. Hopefully us early adopters get the chance to buy early!!

๐Ÿ˜‰

Ganjaroach
Level 3

Ganja, have you tried the different lenses, and adjusted the distance dial? I've cycled through them all and (for me) by far the B cups are the best. Also, I don't know if you've downloaded the latest SDK but it has a config tool which may help.

As far as the 3D effect... I wouldn't even call it that. For me it's nothing like the corny effects you see at 3D movies, for me it's kinda just like real life, only more pixelated.

It's amazing and I will be a day one purchaser of the consumer version. Hopefully us early adopters get the chance to buy early!!

๐Ÿ˜‰

No I havn't tried anything but A I will try out the b cups I thought A was for 20/20 vision tho? I'm wearing contacts they seem to dry out more then normal also. Guess I gotta remember to blink lol Thanks for the info

quick edit here Just tested the B cups they work so much better bigger pixels but 3d is much better, I was under the impression that A Cup was for 20/20 why are the b cups working better?

SMOK3Y
Level 2
"ganjaroach" wrote:
All in all I am impressed but I think a lot of the "reaction" videos are fake or just over reacting. The roller coaster demo was really cool but did not make me freak out or anything like I have seen in so many videos and I hate roller coasters in real life. I have say it was well worth the wait and can't wait to see this technology in a few years! ๐Ÿ˜„

i gotta be honest i had to close my eyes in the rollercoaster demo, as in "real life" i dont like em either its the only demo/game that made me feel any 'sickness' at all

Ganjaroach
Level 3
Maybe I'm just not as sensitive but man I really hate roller coasters I never ride any rides at the fair, besides maybe the gravatron I think it was called. lol

golem09
Level 2
I don't have mine yet, but I already know what my first two demos will be:
1. Tuscany
2. Titans of Space

Very psyched for both of those.