cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Look at the Rift, Shipping Q1 2016

Gypsy816
Expert Protege
Since the earliest days of the Oculus Kickstarter, the Rift has been shaped by gamers, backers, developers, and enthusiasts around the world. Today, we’re incredibly excited to announce that the Oculus Rift will be shipping to consumers in Q1 2016, with pre-orders later this year.

The Rift delivers on the dream of consumer VR with compelling content, a full ecosystem, and a fully-integrated hardware/software tech stack designed specifically for virtual reality. It’s a system designed by a team of extremely passionate gamers, developers, and engineers to reimagine what gaming can be.

A first look at what the world can expect in Q1 2016

The Oculus Rift builds on the presence, immersion, and comfort of the Crescent Bay prototype with an improved tracking system that supports both seated and standing experiences, as well as a highly refined industrial design, and updated ergonomics for a more natural fit.

A peek inside the Oculus Rift

In the weeks ahead, we’ll be revealing the details around hardware, software, input, and many of our unannounced made-for-VR games and experiences coming to the Rift. Next week, we’ll share more of the technical specifications here on the Oculus blog.

Virtual reality is going to transform gaming, film, entertainment, communication, and much more. If you’re interested in building a next-generation VR game or application, everything you need to start developing for the Rift is available at the Oculus Developer Center.

E3 is just around the corner — this is only the beginning.

– The Oculus Team
Oculus Community Manager - kweh!
507 REPLIES 507

MasterElwood
Protege
"darkstar826" wrote:
It's awesome the consumer version is coming out soon, but can you guys make a core version! You know... Without the free games and the Xbox One controller? This could make me and the others buy the system quick. It will be cheaper for us to buy it. Anyone one agree with me?

NO! Core version at the beginning is a bad idea.

Apolonius
Honored Guest
I don't know if this was answered, sorry if was but, i want to know if the xbox controller includes the wireless receiver.

Regards.

Bleppe
Adventurer
"Apolonius" wrote:
I don't know if this was answered, sorry if was but, i want to know if the xbox controller includes the wireless receiver.

Regards.

Yes it's the wireless controller.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Shame its not the elite pad..... Imo the best pad on the market
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

edulinares
Honored Guest
I think you guys are overestimating the cost of the Xbox controller inclusion. This is a partnership with Microsoft, my guess is the controllers are coming for free. If not, for a really symbolic price (to Oculus).

edulinares
Honored Guest
Also, I wouldn't hold my breath for the Rift becoming cheaper anytime soon. I believe CV1 is being somewhat subsidized. That's alwalys been said and just because the price came higher than expected, that doesn't mean the plan has changed. Also the quality and specs are improved from the previous goals.

The competitors will likely be more expensive, with the possible exception of Sony, but they seem to be in no hurry to actually release Playstation VR. Sony is sinking and can't afford to sell hardware without profits anymore. So the price of the headset should be close....the real difference being the PS4 itself being much cheaper than a high-end Oculus-ready PC.

Truth is the DK1 and DK2 price was revolutionary and set a somewhat unrealistic expectation for the price of the consumer version. If they weer to stick to that price range, they would have to trade off on the quality aspect, basically turning DK2 into CV. Instead they went for a leap of quality.

That also sorta gates out many of the "curious crowd" who might be tempted to buy just to see what the fuss is about, potentially oversizing initial sales and generating bad word of mouth out of misknowledge about what Oculus Rift actualy is supposed to be.

Amazingly, there is still way to much misinformation out there and it is convenient, in a way, to raise the entry barrier to the Rift just a little bit above this big messy space. This will ensure the first wave of consumers is comprised of real enthusiats who are willing to do the investment, and who can provide some valuable feedback. In turn, by raising the quality of the product, Oculus have a higher chance of meeting their expectations.

That "curious crowd" will be up for grabs by Sony, which is gonna be a double-edged knife: it is a big market, but also a dumb one filled with ignorance, skepticism and unreal expectations. Sony sucked hard at demonstrating PS VR at PSX last December, they need better demos if they want to be taken seriously at VR.

Spoj
Honored Guest
I can't belive it... $600- and ships in June.

I had $350 squirreled away for the rift like an idiot. I assumed the VIVE would be in the $600+ price range, which is why I kept rooting for the Oculus.. because it would be more affordable option for someone like me.

I guess I'll have to keep watching other people enjoy them on the internet until 2017 when something more affordable comes around. Talk about deflated expectations

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Spoj" wrote:
squirreled away

I love this term... I'm going to adopt it 🙂

Thank you 😄

EliteSPA
Superstar
I think we all need to calm and wait for 28 March, we need real reviews from consumers using the rift at home, and see if the minimum specs are right! Someone give me a cryogenic capsule and wake me up 28th March :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Cheers!

Edit: 28 March is the day of my Bday, I was surprised when I saw it! Is a sign! :mrgreen:
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz

Spoj
Honored Guest
"Tim74UK" wrote:
"Spoj" wrote:
squirreled away

I love this term... I'm going to adopt it 🙂

Thank you 😄

$600 and its all yours!