cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First day impressions

EsEs
Honored Guest
Got my rift yesterday and here's a quick review of my first day

I am not a developer, so this will be more a consumer review, also note I never experienced a DK1 before.

I am going to start with problems.
- I just went for it and installed the SDK and runtime, and got it working

- the calibration, I had no idea how to do this right, I kept getting a 75mm + result( but I know my IPD is 71mm, and just set it to that) if someone can explain this to me please.

- at first everything was very blurry for me, but got it better after adjusting a bit (ended up using the B Cups)

- and last big problem for me is the 1080p screen, I wouldn't call it a SDE but you can see black lines clearly like this ' ' ' ' ' ' but in /\ shape if that make sense.

Apps/Games I tried:

Desk Demo Scene:
very nice worked really well everything feel on scale, It impressed my family and friends as well to whom I showed it.

Tuscany Demo:
same as above, but the low res is a big problem you cant see very far.

Riftmax Theatre:
Like the multiplayer idea but it feel like watching movies with a bunch of children running around in a cinema, also if you sit at the back of the cinema you lose more detail on screen because of the 1080p. (the app is very nice if you don't mind people)

Cineveo:
Now this was an awesome experience, I watched gravity in 3D with this, the space station theme is well fitted for this movie, but I think if you really want to watch a movie from start to finish it would have to be in the Void, that's just a black area with a curved screen, feel really immersive.

Elite Dangerous:
this was the best experience for me and this is the game I am going to spend the most of my time after trying more demos. If you put your joystick at the exact same spot as the in game one it feel like your body, Its also nice to look down and see your own body but a less fat one. Problems I am having is mostly the 1080p again, the panel on your right I can read clearly but the one on the left I cant read at all without leaning in. (Is this normal?)

War Thunder:
this was nothing like above, the menu feel like you are using a computer screen the size of an IMAX from 1m away (Is there a way to move it back a bit?) after finding my mouse pointer I started a game, the cockpit look really cool, but then I looked forward and got instantly nauseous, I thought I will man it out and do a few barrel rolls, my whole face felt like it was pulling G`s. So I don't know if this was the rift or will the same happen If I flew a WW2 plane. (never done that before IRL)

Downloading a bunch of demos today to try tonight, Including Technolust.

In conclusion:
Very happy with my rift, according to me if they bring out the DK2 with a better screen it will be perfect.

PS: English is not my first language.
Order ID: EK-6100XXX Date: Mar 22, 2014 10:40 PM PDT Status: Received!!! South Africa, JHB
2 REPLIES 2

Phoenix90
Explorer
What you experience as SDE not being squared is caused by the screen being a pentile display, the pixels aren't square. The room between pixels isn't very noticable, not nearly as much as the chromatic aberration or the low resolution or the focus issues when you move your eyeballs

Gypsy816
Expert Protege
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. 🙂
Oculus Community Manager - kweh!