cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix for stutturing in Elite Dangerous

Falan
Honored Guest
Hi there after a few days of horrible nauseating stuttering and trying numerous fixes, I eventually got this to work:

Apologies if this is already well known

780ti 16 gig ram

Ok I set it up as extended obviously, the rift resolution though is 1920 x 1080 (native) set to 75 hz, before it was at 960 x 1080 or something.

Now I boot up Elite Dangerous and when its running ALT - Tab out to windows and go into Nvidia options (set up multiple displays) and uncheck the monitor so only the rift is left (this forces Vsync to the rift so make sure its already set to on in options). Now squinting through the rift (cant be arsed removing lens) click accept and now you should have the desktop displayed in the rift. With a combination of ALt - tabbing or blindly trying to select Elite Dangerous with the mouse in the bottom bar you can get back into the game.

Now make sure its set to 75hz in ED graphics options and turn everything to low/medium with anti-aliasing OFF and that other one below it to off.

The experience was vastly improved and while at times it will flick it is massively more enjoyable and feels much closer to that buttery smooth Tuscany demo.

When you exit the game you will have some minor assfuckery to browse to Nvidia options to re-check monitor and then set it to main display. It does involve much buggering about but if you want to enjoy ED without sickness this is fab.

Have fun 🙂

edit - oh one last thing, the next time you try and run Elite Dangerous the monitor is set to primary again (in the Elite Dangerous graphics options) so you'll need to set it to secondary to start up in the rift again.
13 REPLIES 13

Sp1rit
Honored Guest
Hm just guessing here but wouldn't it work to set the rift to primary in windows and just mirror to screens?
That would also use the refresh rate of the primary screen (so the rift) right?

Jabbah
Honored Guest
"Sp1rit" wrote:
Hm just guessing here but wouldn't it work to set the rift to primary in windows and just mirror to screens?

I tired this the other day. The problem is that the DK2 screen appears as a 1920x1080 display but the main display is 1080x1920, so when you mirror / duplicate the displays windows forces the maximum resolution to the ocerlap of the two displays - 1080x1080, I think it was 1024x960 that it offered. If Oculus changed the driver so the screen appeared as a true 1080p panel then you could do this easily.

ETA: It didn't make any difference having the Rift monitor rotated 90deg either for some reason. The duplicate option must be working at a lower level.

Satire
Honored Guest
I don't know about this method but I've got 780ti and 16gb ram as well but last night there was no jittering at max settings while there clearly was jittering at max settings during the late afternoon. maybe there's a secret patch added 😐

Nsoldal
Honored Guest
didn't they update to 1.02 yesterday? could be the fix?

Sp1rit
Honored Guest
No the current updates of elite don't address the rift at all.

blanes
Rising Star
Falan Wrote ..."When you exit the game you will have some minor assfuckery" 😮

Really ? Assfuckery ? I have never heard of it and if I were you I would check my chair or buy more comfortable underwear / trousers ... either that or you have connected the DK2 to the wrong input !!!! :oops:

rowanunderwood
Honored Guest
"Sp1rit" wrote:

This doesn't work because of the rift being detected as a portrait mode monitor. When you mirror screens, the correct resolutions are not available :evil:

Anonymous
Not applicable
I found that playing at lowest detail settings (mostly) eliminates the horizontal stuttering. V-sync does not seem to affect the horizontal stutter, although the added input lag really made me queasy after a few minutes. Having v-sync off does cause an occasional instantaneous stutter which is different than the constant horizontal stutter. I presume the cause of the constant horizontal stutter is simply having a frame rate below 75 fps.

I did not have to use any tricks regarding monitor setup, just set the rift to extended mode, set it to portrait mode in nvidia control panel, and selected it as the secondary display at 1920x1080 in ED. The ED settings menu does seem a bit finicky, sometimes not allowing me to pick the right resolution or refresh rate. When this happens I either restart ED or reboot my computer and that seems to fix it.

My system is a core i7 3770k with SLI GTX 680's, although I am only using one 680 currently. I tried using SLI in ED however this forces v-sync on and based on the card temperatures it appeared that the game was only utilizing one card anyway.

Salbrox
Explorer
Is Elite dangerous very CPU intensive?