cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Rift for DK1 purchasers....

Vuce
Level 2
So I heard today from a friend, those who purchased a DK1 kit will get a free retail Rift. Is this true?

I purchased a DK1 kit from the official Oculus Rift website in the hope to support the company as I've always loved the thought of a decent VR experience and saw it as an investment. I still have my DK1 kit and use it for deving and playing games on.

Could someone please give me some insight into whether this is just bull or they are actually giving out free rifts to those who purchased the DK1 kit early?

Thanks.
106 REPLIES 106

Vuce
Level 2
"kelphead" wrote:
I think it sucks too, my main problem being that most of the new games do not support the dk1. But whatever, I'll wait another year or so before I consider purchasing it, or may go with the HTC Vibe.

Am considering the same thing myself right now. Vive seems to have higher resolutions even at a dev kit stage. Plus I'm guessing those who sold their kickstarter kits will probably be selling their free retail rifts off within the year for cheap anyway.

Twitchmonkey
Level 3
"Vuce" wrote:

Am considering the same thing myself right now. Vive seems to have higher resolutions even at a dev kit stage. Plus I'm guessing those who sold their kickstarter kits will probably be selling their free retail rifts off within the year for cheap anyway.

Less than 8000 people donated to the kickstarter at a high enough level to be eligible for the free Rift, of those people, at least a quarter will probably not get one due to not living in the right country or because they lost interest and won't end up hearing about this offer (I imagine it's something you'll have to opt into). That leaves 6000 total that are going to make it to consumers. Lets be generous with our estimate and say a third of those get auctioned off, that's 2000 total, and they're going to likely be branded in some way that will make them more desirable than the normal version.

In short, you aren't likely to find a Kickstarter CV1 for sale, and if you do, it's not going to be cheaper than just buying it at a store.

RorschachPhoeni
Level 10
"kelphead" wrote:
I think it sucks too, my main problem being that most of the new games do not support the dk1. But whatever, I'll wait another year or so before I consider purchasing it, or may go with the HTC Vibe.

The kickstarter campaign and the DK1 was for DEVELOPERS! The DK2 was also for DEVELOPERS!
Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. 😛

Wireline
Level 3
Whatever happens, hope you KS dudes enjoy your CV1 😛

Bit jelly but hey ho! I can put my DK2 on to hide my envy-green eyes :geek:

Merry VR-mas!

Nedo
Level 3
"Vuce" wrote:
you did nothing to contribute to this project and everything you've done was not needed according to Nedo.

You are completely out of context, i was speaking about the money was enough to start building Dk1,
more money was not needed. And you talk everything what was done beyond that.
I'm out of this BS here, sorry but in RL you would already have a bloody nose :lol:
Order DK1 Mar 30, 2013 / Order DK2: Mar 19, 2014 / Order CV1: Jan 6, 2016 / Order HTC Vive Feb 29, 2016

Vuce
Level 2
"Twitchmonkey" wrote:
"Vuce" wrote:

Less than 8000 people donated to the kickstarter at a high enough level to be eligible for the free Rift, of those people, at least a quarter will probably not get one due to not living in the right country or because they lost interest and won't end up hearing about this offer (I imagine it's something you'll have to opt into). That leaves 6000 total that are going to make it to consumers. Lets be generous with our estimate and say a third of those get auctioned off, that's 2000 total, and they're going to likely be branded in some way that will make them more desirable than the normal version.

In short, you aren't likely to find a Kickstarter CV1 for sale, and if you do, it's not going to be cheaper than just buying it at a store.

You're kidding right? With the amount of competition out there right now for VR these things will be peanuts in a years time. People will be selling their CV1s to get the next best thing. Same thing happens to consoles, graphics cards, smartphones. They depreciate very fast due to competition coming out with better tech.

Also anyone who pledged on the kickstarter will be getting an email to inform them so it'll be hard to skip, plus anyone that has the insight to pledge $300 is unlikely to just forget about it. In regards to regional problems, they've already stated that they are working on it, just like they did with the DK1, everyone got their kits eventually.

There will be plenty of CV1s in the bargain bin next year don't you worry.

matskatsaba
Level 5
"Vuce" wrote:

If you don't understand the concept as to why it sucks then you're clearly missing the point. Other people who bought the DK1 are getting a free retail one as recognition for supporting Lucky on his early test product, I bought a DK1 a few months after kickstart ends and I don't. For me that sucks. Understand?

You have been hesitating too much to join the kickstarter campaign. Yeah, that sucks.

Vuce
Level 2
"nedo" wrote:
"Vuce" wrote:
you did nothing to contribute to this project and everything you've done was not needed according to Nedo.

You are completely out of context, i was speaking about the money was enough to start building Dk1,
more money was not needed. And you talk everything what was done beyond that.
I'm out of this BS here, sorry but in RL you would already have a bloody nose :lol:

Yeah you was speaking about the contribution via money, which you claim is the most important aspect of the dev kits, which I disagreed with stating people contributed in other way but also including money. Also if you're going to give me a bloody nose over such a debate then you need to get some anger management, please don't be a keyboard warrior, assume in " Real Life " you can take out anyone. I think you've been spending a little too much time in the VR world as your grip on the real world seems to be slipping.

Vuce
Level 2
"matskatsaba" wrote:
"Vuce" wrote:

If you don't understand the concept as to why it sucks then you're clearly missing the point. Other people who bought the DK1 are getting a free retail one as recognition for supporting Lucky on his early test product, I bought a DK1 a few months after kickstart ends and I don't. For me that sucks. Understand?

You have been hesitating too much to join the kickstarter campaign. Yeah, that sucks.

I didn't hesitate, I simply couldn't afford to pledge at the time unfortunately. Which sucks because it would of been nice to have gotten a free CV1, a nice little Discount would be nice though. oooo I said the D word again.

BBBrox
Level 2
I have a non-KS DK1, and I love it, and always have - and now, it becomes a part of video game/tech history. Why anybody would have sold theirs, is simply beyond me.

Congrats to all those initial backers who get a bonus reward from Oculus! How so many people in this forum can take a 'nice' thing for them to do to thank their INITIAL backers, and turn it into something negative is quite amazing.

As a 'just after' KS owner, do I feel slighted? No, I'm happy for the KSers who get their gift and think that Oculus is an even better company than I original thought (even after the FB deal.... which, I'm pretty darn sure free CV1 for KSers wouldn't have happened without).

Sure, I'd be happy to get an email that lets me get my pre-order in 24 hours before the general public... but maybe that's a checkbox on the pre-order form (fingers are still crossed :-). Either way.... I'm just looking forward to the new and exciting world of VR. Wow, it's finally here!

Well done Lucky / Oculus, and my THANKS to the Kick Starters who saw the dream before I did and getting us to this point!