cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX 1070, Best Bang for the Buck?

aztecsurf
Explorer
The NDA lifted today and the reviews are in! It looks like the 1070 may be the perfect VR GPU based on benchmarks and price!

I already have a GTX 970 but the 1070 cleans house with it. The GTX 1080 is of course much faster but I dont think it's the ideal card right now for how much it is and what's needed to run the new headsets optimally.

That said I know nVidia is working on all of this new (VR) technology going into the new lineup. My question would be how does it provide a benefit right now for current Rift owners and the games available? Or is this something we will need to wait a bit for proper integration into the SDK / Drivers?
6 REPLIES 6

Ricktor_Black
Adventurer
I imagine the 1070 and 1080's will get better with VR as the driver's mature and developers get used to taking advantage of the new tech.  I'm kind of torn... I just built a PC this year with a 970 (partially because of VR) it's going to be tough to spend another several hundred dollars for a new card.  But on the other hand... the reason I didn't get a 980ti is because I couldn't see myself spending that much money on a pretty old card (knowing new ones were around the corner).

edmg
Trustee
Is the 1070 really that much faster? The few benchmarks I've seen seemed to show it around 50% faster than the 970, while the 1080 was twice as fast. I usually don't upgrade until the new GPU is twice as fast as whatever I currently have.

Zandil
Rising Star

edmg said:

Is the 1070 really that much faster? The few benchmarks I've seen seemed to show it around 50% faster than the 970, while the 1080 was twice as fast. I usually don't upgrade until the new GPU is twice as fast as whatever I currently have.

In terms of Flat games it's a nice upgrade but not huge, talking VR and the new single pass feature etc it is potentially a huge upgrade once VR games take advantage of the new features integrated into the 10 series cards.

tommet
Expert Protege
The x70s are pretty much the "most bang for your buck" cards.  I'll be adding one - but probably not till x-mas.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Zandil said:

edmg said:

In terms of Flat games it's a nice upgrade but not huge, talking VR and the new single pass feature etc it is potentially a huge upgrade once VR games take advantage of the new features integrated into the 10 series cards.

Maybe it's not needed for 1080 monitor, unless it has a good refresh rate. But for 1440 monitors and 4k it's a very good upgrade.

heinlein
Honored Guest
I definitely want to see comparisons of the 1070 and Polaris 10 before I make up my mind.
Nanoxia DS 3, Asus Z170 deluxe, i5 6600K, OCZ Agility 3 120 GB, Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, and Seasonic G 550 watt PS. No discrete graphics card until I get the chance to compare AMD's and Nvidia's FinFet offerings.