cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX 980M a game changer for truly portable riftin'

TheAsimovInitia
Honored Guest
Hi!

Anyone into graphic cards and mobile gaming can not have missed the new wonderful Nvidia GTX980M.

Bringing specs up to desktop level on laptops.

Now I can not be the only one that want to se a fully portable solution. Being completly wireless connection or simply carrying the computer on a backback (if a soldier can carry extra 20-30kg you can carry 3! 😉 ).

There is some interesting laptops coming out, people I have spoken to can assure me that there will be quite small laptops available by end of october that utilizes the 980M, currently it mostly heavy 17".

Any thoughts on this? Currently the occulus needs a regular AC power connection. But why is this really? Can it be easily emulated with usb?

This brings me to another idea. What about a custom portable computer driven by batteries muchas a gaming laptop, but would be screenless and without keyboard or any other input. It could also carry exxtra batteries for longer game times and be built to be carried on the back and be able to tacke a few hits.

Maybe a new kickstarter?

Think of a gaming hall such as indoor paintball. Only nothing is there only you and other gamers. Proximity detection installed on the rift when get close to real edge. But actually running around must be really immersive, more than omni and other similiar technologies.

Thoughts?

I know the current setup does not allow this as "Oculus rift is a seated experience" and the way it tracks the head wont be possible at such distances. But there is other technologies for that.
8 REPLIES 8

bilago
Honored Guest
"TheAsimovInitiative" wrote:

Any thoughts on this? Currently the occulus needs a regular AC power connection. But why is this really? Can it be easily emulated with usb?.

It... already is powered by USB...? Power adapter is 100% optional.
[Obsolete] Oculus Service Manager - https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=11395 [Unofficial] VR Game Manager - viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12754

jo282
Honored Guest
anyway I have a gaming laptop (780m), and I can tell you you're not rifting without an AC connection. On a gaming laptop, gpu and cpu are throttled on battery and framerates gets really bad.
Ordered : August 31st Status: Processing Location: QC,Canada

TheAsimovInitia
Honored Guest
"bilago" wrote:

Any thoughts on this? Currently the occulus needs a regular AC power connection. But why is this really? Can it be easily emulated with usb?.

It... already is powered by USB...? Power adapter is 100% optional.

Go figure. Thought it was required in DK1. Never tried without. I just figured it was for extra powering prior to optimizing things. Then that is not a problem (nor should it have, just my assumptions).

Guessing it is for trying units with low power output on the usb?

bilago
Honored Guest
"jo282" wrote:
anyway I have a gaming laptop (780m), and I can tell you you're not rifting without an AC connection. On a gaming laptop, gpu and cpu are throttled on battery and framerates gets really bad.

If you change your performance profile to High Performance, you will not be gpu or CPU throttled without the ac connection. You'll probably get 2 or so hours of gaming before it's dead.
[Obsolete] Oculus Service Manager - https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=11395 [Unofficial] VR Game Manager - viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12754

jo282
Honored Guest
"bilago" wrote:
"jo282" wrote:

If you change your performance profile to High Performance, you will not be gpu or CPU throttled without the ac connection. You'll probably get 2 or so hours of gaming before it's dead.

My asus laptop is always GPU throttled on battery, CPU is alright after tweaking perf settings like you said but even with an SVET bios my 780m is lagging 😞 EDIT: And asus even recommend TWO AC ADAPTER with an Y splitter from them for gaming
Ordered : August 31st Status: Processing Location: QC,Canada

TheAsimovInitia
Honored Guest
"jo282" wrote:

Yeah you can avoid that in settings. My idea is for this is to get a early protable experience. Batteries can always be added. I mean look at those batteries for 1kw motors for electric bikes.

bilago
Honored Guest
"jo282" wrote:

Yeah you can avoid that in settings. My idea is for this is to get a early protable experience. Batteries can always be added. I mean look at those batteries for 1kw motors for electric bikes.

He could avoid that, unless the issue is that his battery doesn't output enough juice to power his 780m. Strap a gasoline generator to your back? 😛

TheAsimovInitia
Honored Guest
"bilago" wrote:
"jo282" wrote:

He could avoid that, unless the issue is that his battery doesn't output enough juice to power his 780m. Strap a gasoline generator to your back? 😛

Well that is a problem I always thought it was a charge saving issue only.