cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Game/experiences for Seniors - What do you use to clean your lens?

VolunteerTerrac
Honored Guest
Hello Occulous Universe,
We are a small nonprofit with Senior's Programs and we recently introduced a new program called, "Virtually Anything Can Happen", it's an intergenerational project with our seniors and our youth volunteers. 
We have had some challenges (not with the teenagers of course) finding an experience that works well for a person who is 80+, something that doesn't require wandering around or trying to navigate using the toggles (etc), we know our youth can use them but for most (not all) of our seniors it's a bit of a challenge. Many of our seniors have lived a very isolated life (we are located in northwestern British Columbia) and have really never experienced anything other than their "circle", we would like to change that, even if it is "just" through VR. The idea is that the senior and the youth have the same experience and then share their joint experiences - what was the same, what was different, really just engaging each other in conversations that many of our seniors never have. Many of our youth do not have grandparents either alive or living nearby so this really does help them to engage at that level as well.
What do you recommend as a great shared, game or experience?
Our second request is, what do you use to clean the lens and headgear of the equipment? We don't want to scratch the lens but we also know that with multiple users it's important that we adhere to a vigorous cleaning schedule/regime.

Thanks for your help everyone, as a side note, I am really struggling to navigate some of the experiences. I am also new to VR (we have 2 Rift) so the easier it is to navigate the better 🙂

Thanks - Tracey - Volunteer Terrace
10 REPLIES 10

RattyUK
Trustee
I use a barely damp microfibre cloth to clean lenses (more dry than wet...) and the external surfaces of the Rift (S) - the faceplate/headstraps could be cleaned in the same way but perhaps with a gentle antibacterial spray lightly applied to the cloth.  Maybe someone else has a better solution to cleaning the headgear and will drop by.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi Tracey!

Welcome to the VR community! Your program sounds like it's a great use of VR.

Regarding cleaning your Rift, for the lenses, you should be using a dry optical lens micro-fiber cloth to clean them. Don't use any kind of liquid or chemical cleansers. For the outside of the headset, you should be using a dry cloth. You can use non-abrasive anti-bacterial wipes to clean the straps and the facial interface foam. Don't use any alcohol or an abrasive cleaning solution. More info on cleaning the Rift is available here.

Thanks!
-Rick
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Best Seniors app has got to be a Google Earth VR.  Best of all it’s free!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

Hello Occulous Universe,
We are a small nonprofit with Senior's Programs and we recently introduced a new program called, "Virtually Anything Can Happen", it's an intergenerational project with our seniors and our youth volunteers. 
We have had some challenges (not with the teenagers of course) finding an experience that works well for a person who is 80+, something that doesn't require wandering around or trying to navigate using the toggles (etc), we know our youth can use them but for most (not all) of our seniors it's a bit of a challenge. Many of our seniors have lived a very isolated life (we are located in northwestern British Columbia) and have really never experienced anything other than their "circle", we would like to change that, even if it is "just" through VR. The idea is that the senior and the youth have the same experience and then share their joint experiences - what was the same, what was different, really just engaging each other in conversations that many of our seniors never have. Many of our youth do not have grandparents either alive or living nearby so this really does help them to engage at that level as well.
What do you recommend as a great shared, game or experience?
Our second request is, what do you use to clean the lens and headgear of the equipment? We don't want to scratch the lens but we also know that with multiple users it's important that we adhere to a vigorous cleaning schedule/regime.

Thanks for your help everyone, as a side note, I am really struggling to navigate some of the experiences. I am also new to VR (we have 2 Rift) so the easier it is to navigate the better 🙂

Thanks - Tracey - Volunteer Terrace

On the point of keeping the lenses clean, head over to amazon and grab a pack of Healsheild watch face protector gurards, i use the 43mm ones on my CV1 and Oculus GO, and they are great, once on you will not have to worry about scratching your lenses from cleaning or from wearing glasses.........a must have. 😉
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
i use a air dust cleaner i squeeze mainly, like this one but mines black and and red, from china;

if theres a smudge i use the cloth and if its bad i squeeze on some glass cleaner liquid from the eye doctor.

edit this is the one i use;

I use a lens brush for dust and occasionally a clean microfibre cloth if there's any sign of grease. Never used cleaning liquid of any sort.

Technology4Seni
Honored Guest
Hello Tracey, I'm really interested in your project and would like to understand how you plan to configure these devices so that they are ready to play when the senior puts them on their head. Most of the videos I have seen rely on a professional support company to come into a facility to do this for EACH session. I have yet to find any VR headset that can run in a "Kiosk Mode" similar to what could be used in a museum tour or training session... unless it uses facility-owned video content. Frank

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Tracey,
I've just created a new free app available on Oculus Go, it's called "Le voyageur virtuel". I think that seniors would appreciate this kind of app that offer to travel around the best touristic place on the planet. If you have chance to try it with senior people I would be very interrested to know what are their comments and reaction.
Wish you the best.

Michel Bordeleau

Anonymous
Not applicable
My Mom is 86 and She loved the National Geographic Antarctica game. At least up to the point where you had to start climbing mountains lol. But just being able to glide the kayak through still waters and look at the scenery and being able to direct the course rather than just watching a 360 video. She loved it. It is also reasonably easy exercise, and nothing is coming at you or trying to kill you. All in all just a nice relaxing experience. There does need to be some way to display what's happening. Chromecast to a TV, just so you can guide them through the basic menus and grab the controllers  if necessary to get them where they can take over - ps I work at a Seniors home btw My Mom is now playing Beat Saber, although not very well, but she doesn't care 🙂