Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GameFace 1440p prototype

Walky
Level 3
I'm surprised no one has posted this here, so there you go:

http://www.roadtovr.com/gameface-labs-first-vr-headset-block-2k-display-mobile/

Sure, it's not low persistence (and most likely 60 hz), but tech-wise it's a step in the right direction on the road to VR (pun intended). I'm surprised at the Android focus, though, but who knows what the future will bring, and a self contained, wireless unit still has a lot of potential.
8 REPLIES 8

Calanar
Level 2
"Walky" wrote:

Sure, it's not low persistence (and most likely 60 hz), but tech-wise it's a step in the right direction on the road to VR (pun intended). I'm surprised at the Android focus, though, but who knows what the future will bring, and a self contained, wireless unit still has a lot of potential.

Also do note that they cannibalized parts from DK1's (lenses) and copied others (lens mounting) to get the prototype done. Not that there is anything wrong with that, that is how Palmer himself started this. In a way it is awesome because the closer we get to consumer VR the more all the parts seem to be shared with folks making their own kits. I love that because ultimately it will mean that you will be able to swap parts and have DIY versions.

Don't like Sony's PS5 Cyberdeck 1000 at 1200$ with dual crypto-GPU's and hate the FaceRift 9000 with Opti-lock and facial rec, Go to crazy Ed's VR emporium where we mix and match your parts. Get that high end HMD but leave off the crypto, face rec, and proprietary what-nots and get new stuff like a voice changing mic and a PGP-user scramble. Come down now to Crazy Ed's where a little DIY = $$$.
Michael Tenery, Software, RPG and Game Developer. Imagine Role Playing: http://www.role-playing.com

HAWKEYE481
Level 2
Seeing as it's mobile I don't think anyone can really complain! As it stands they're capturing another part of the huge market and separating themselves from Sony and Oculus, more the merrier I say 😄
"Some people say VR can take you anywhere in the world, I say VR can take you anywhere in your imagination" Intelligent-Visuals http://www.ivvr.uk http://www.intelligent-visuals.com https://www.facebook.com/intelligentvisuals

Ghostship
Level 3
Well that says it all to me. They are aiming towards android and are supplying select devs with their sdk.

With developing on a really high res display, and they want games basic games made for the militaions of andriod to make use of their ultra high res display lol.

Its like getting rid of the current F1 experienced and championship drivers and replacing them with monkeys lol What is the point of aiming to deliver the best ever and highest res display so you can play casual games. Something like vrACE is well suited, cheap and effective for the device and its market. So why gear it towards none-pc technology? and just android?

I am the sort of person who likes to see before i believe! I have an oculus right here, tested and available. I cant believe in words and statements which don't even make sense about something nobody has even seen and used :lol:
Developer of Ghostship and CDF Starfighter.

DeadlyJoe
Level 8
"Ghostship" wrote:
I am the sort of person who likes to see before i believe! I have an oculus right here, tested and available. I cant believe in words and statements which don't even make sense about something nobody has even seen and used :lol:

People saw and used their prototype at GDC.

I think they can solve most of the technical issues, and the latest NVidia mobile chips are actually very amazing. The biggest problem that I see with this product is the final cost. They aren't just building an HMD, they're build an all-in-one VR computer that you strap to your head. So you're not just going to be paying the $300 to $400 for the display, but you're going to end up paying another $400 to $500 for the machine inside it. I don't see how they'll price it within reach of the average consumer without taking a loss on every unit. Even though people really want wireless VR, if the units end up in the $700 to $900 range, then I think that they're going to price themselves out of the market.

davidjc
Level 2
additionally the headset will be outdated every year at the least and you will have to repurchase everything unless its upgradeable. You might argue that VR headsets will be released very quickly in the beginning as technology moves to innovate to a certain quality level...but still you gave to repurchase a lot more with this set up than if you just bought a headset by itself.

TheArcheaon
Level 2
"Walky" wrote:

First it was 2k and now its 2.5k? Ok, obviously they're trolling.
Reason I say this is because just last week on pcmag it said that it was 2k (which is 1080p for those of you that don't know what 2k is) and now a week later they're saying its 1440p? What a load.

I personally wouldn't mind having the Gameface VR headset (because its fully wireless) plus I'm a VR enthusiast ^-^
VR Pilot!

Ibrinar
Level 2
Some use 2.5k for 1440 others do call it 2k.

ThreeEyes
Level 2
"TheArcheaon" wrote:
First it was 2k and now its 2.5k? Ok, obviously they're trolling.

RoadToVR or GameFace? I don't think it's either, though. They just corrected their article to use correct terminology and noted the update. What really matters is the actual screen resolution and people can call that what they want shorthand. But there is no arguing with 2560x1440.

It actually looks pretty cool. If they designed it right, upgrading the processor/GPU should be as hard as swapping cards in a regular computer (nothing beyond the typical box electronics store tech or savvy user). Display wouldn't be too much worse except for fingerprints and dust concerns with people making those swaps at the dining room table. But make the display slide into a slot and it could be a not so tough upgrade. The bugger would be technology changes like LCD to OLED or resolution changes that simply change the numbers of edge connections. Or maybe a display and CPU/GPU swap is a paired thing already mated together and you just reuse the housing?

Who knows but it looks very interesting and much closer to what Zuckerberg might have wanted for Facebook applications. Interesting development!

It could also use the console approach where the hardware is sold near cost and the games are where the money gets made. I would bet that is fairly likely but time will tell. Games could just be SD cards or similar concept.
But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock: