cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gameface at 1440p

mrdigi
Honored Guest
New article over at roadtovr about the new Gameface prototype. Sounds like 1440p is where the fun really starts. 🙂

http://www.roadtovr.com/e3-2014-gameface-labs-mark-5-prototype/
9 REPLIES 9

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
just tried it at E3 - very good system - interesting launch plans for their DK. This could be another prominent entry into the market.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

willste
Explorer
A monkey could figure out that adding a higher resolution display to a DK1 type HMD will increase the visual fidelity... everyone will be doing that.

I wish new VR companies would stop trying to be in a specs arms race with a development kit. Its just kind of sad. It would be more interesting to hear about how they are dealing with latency, wireless and batteries. There is certainly a race to get that right.

But maybe that is more the medias fault than GameFace.

On another note is Oculus going to go around later down the road and sue the crap out of every 2 bit vendor that has knocked off its design? I know Palmer is all for more people getting into to VR and doesn't want to be anti competitive but these clones are getting kind of ridiculous.

KydDynoMyte
Honored Guest
Would be nice to know the FOV.

mrdigi
Honored Guest
"willste" wrote:
A monkey could figure out that adding a higher resolution display to a DK1 type HMD will increase the visual fidelity... everyone will be doing that.

I wish new VR companies would stop trying to be in a specs arms race with a development kit. Its just kind of sad. It would be more interesting to hear about how they are dealing with latency, wireless and batteries. There is certainly a race to get that right.

But maybe that is more the medias fault than GameFace.

On another note is Oculus going to go around later down the road and sue the crap out of every 2 bit vendor that has knocked off its design? I know Palmer is all for more people getting into to VR and doesn't want to be anti competitive but these clones are getting kind of ridiculous.

I agree with everything you said and I have little interest in this device, but it's nice seeing reviews on headsets with higher resolution and FOV than the Oculus just to get a feel of what the future holds in store for us. So the arms race is kind of nice even if it means very little in the long run. It's also nice to see that 1440p screens are out in the wild.

willste
Explorer
Yeah I suppose it is our first chance to see how 1440p looks in this kind of setup. So then I have to ask, is this enough resolution to completely hide the screen door effect even if you are looking for it?

Speculation on other topics suggested it may still be noticeable though greatly reduced even at this resolution.

mrdigi
Honored Guest
"willste" wrote:
Yeah I suppose it is our first chance to see how 1440p looks in this kind of setup. So then I have to ask, is this enough resolution to completely hide the screen door effect even if you are looking for it?

Speculation on other topics suggested it may still be noticeable though greatly reduced even at this resolution.

The article said this, "the screen door effect seemed largely eliminated". I'd reason that means it's there if you look for it, but can mostly be ignored now as an issue.

obzen
Expert Protege
I'm more interested in how well 1440p copes with long draw distances, like you'd experienced in sims.
DK1 FREAK...

zztopless
Honored Guest
"obzen" wrote:
I'm more interested in how well 1440p copes with long draw distances, like you'd experienced in sims.

Yeah I too am interested in what people's reactions are to a 1440p headset, also would like to know if this screen is OLED or LCD and if the former, whether it's using an RGB sub-pixel layout or a pentile one.

I'm a bit surprised Gameface don't have HDMI and or display port inputs to give people with decent PCs the option to use them, giving customers the same PC based gaming options of Oculus PLUS mobility. I can't imagine it would cost much to add a port or two that, then when in use, bypasses the onboard processing/operating system.

Gizmotweak
Explorer
looks nice!

More legit competition is always good and will push everyone to be better.

btw,

Did True Player Gear show up with their 9 years in super secret development 5 guy team better than oculus rift actually working prototype at E3 like they promised?

havent heard a squack about them since they spent 250 bucks to 3d print that shell...
This space available for advertising.