cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a taste of VR?

us11csalyer
Protege
Whats a cheap way to test out vr? I been thinking about the cheap vr viewer that uses my iphone 5s, but is there a cheaper way? I don't want to order an OR and then not like it.
5 REPLIES 5

sc4r
Honored Guest
I have tried holding up two lenses from binoculars up to a tablet playing a youtube video of recorded in rift footage. And that has nothing to do with vr because it's only a high field of view 3d video. Head tracking is very important for vr. Being able to look around in a virtual world is what gives you the sensation of presence.
Them cheap phone holders (apart from GearVR) have laggy head tracking and displays not optimised for vr. And they don't have epic experiences like the games that are out for the rift.
So you really need to try a rift to know what it is. I suggest you just buy the consumer version when it comes out I'm sure you'll like it.

Wireline
Explorer
I think trying out A.N.Other VR headset will not inform you at all about what its like with the Rift. Something like Google Cardboard will not be comparable at all for a number of reasons, including latency, no positional headtracking, refresh rate related issues (persistence), field of view, and not to mention the limited experiences available for it.

GearVR may be a better bet, maybe wait until its in the shops and then go and try one, if a shop will let you. I can see retailers getting precious about hygeine and not letting folks try them in the shops....

us11csalyer
Protege
I'm still feeling a little 'burned' from the Nvidia 3D and ASUS's 27" 3d monitor. Was not impressed.

ThreeEyes
Explorer
If you are talking about the My3D, that is so far from a real VR experience it's like night and day. About all you can say for it is you can see what they show you in 3D and it has some tracking from the phone sensors.

The Rift is nothing like My3D.

But if you are trying to decide if you should buy a DK2, think very hard. It is not the consumer version, the resolution is much better than DK1 but apparently nothing like the consumer version will probably be, the drivers are not fully implemented and have at least some bugs, there aren't a lot of true apps yet that support it though the list is expanding, and each app can run one in about four ways on the Rift - meaning you will have to tinker with things.

But if you really don't know and are just thinking about it, and especially if you want to do it on the cheap, save your money for CV1 and the computer hardware you will need to run it effectively.
But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock:

us11csalyer
Protege
"ThreeEyes" wrote:
If you are talking about the My3D, that is so far from a real VR experience it's like night and day. About all you can say for it is you can see what they show you in 3D and it has some tracking from the phone sensors.

The Rift is nothing like My3D.

But if you are trying to decide if you should buy a DK2, think very hard. It is not the consumer version, the resolution is much better than DK1 but apparently nothing like the consumer version will probably be, the drivers are not fully implemented and have at least some bugs, there aren't a lot of true apps yet that support it though the list is expanding, and each app can run one in about four ways on the Rift - meaning you will have to tinker with things.

But if you really don't know and are just thinking about it, and especially if you want to do it on the cheap, save your money for CV1 and the computer hardware you will need to run it effectively.

My computer is up for the task. I think having to wait 6+ weeks after ordering is killing me.