cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

God Rays fixed?

cabal2000
Explorer
Sorry guys, been away from my Rift for a long time and haven't been doing any reading up on an of the forums because I was not happy with the CV1 and the God Ray effect when playing games and worst again, when watching movies. Is there a fix out now?
Thanks in advance.
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
No.
However for me at least, I hardly even notice them.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
God rays is a physical thing.
 It can´t be fixed with software. New displays and new optics is the only way to make the god ray effect less obvious.
 Unless you have a broken unit, you will rarely notice it once gotten used to "them".
Be good, die great !

falken76
Expert Consultant
God Rays are caused by the physical Lenses used in the HMD, they're not going away.  That being said, I only noticed them in the beginning when devs were still learning not to put heavy contrasts together.   After playing games for a short period of time I don't even see them, just like I don't see the SDE unless I'm really looking for it, and if that's what I'm doing, I'm not even paying attention to the game I'm playing, I'm looking intently for flaws.  That's just not how I enjoy games, if that's what you're doing, you'll never be satisfied.

YoLolo69
Trustee
God rays are fixed by them-self if you use the Rift, so will not notice them anymore after a while. This "fix" don't work if you go away once again during a certain time (and you are missing so many amazing stuffs out there) 😉

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

Anonymous
Not applicable
don't really notice them anymore, and when I do it's mostly at the game loading screen where it's brighter than usual.

jaybegood67
Explorer
There is a fix actually....stop calling them 'god' and just call them 'light rays'....seems less dramatic and hey presto....no more need to blame the almighty for this first world problem! 

Anonymous
Not applicable
In Elite:Dangerous  try using Medium Bloom and reduce the Brightness. Other games I never notice any.

kojack
MVP
MVP

There is a fix actually....stop calling them 'god' and just call them 'light rays'....seems less dramatic and hey presto....no more need to blame the almighty for this first world problem! 

Or the technical term for god rays: crepuscular rays.

(Well, to be accurate the VR thing we see isn't god rays. One is a lens artifact, the other is an atmospheric effect. But they can look similar)

They are also known as "Ropes of Maui", which sounds cooler. 🙂
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

HiThere_
Superstar
There's a big fat hole around your nose in the CV1, and the fix for that nose hole is the same fix for the light rays : Light up the black background of the CV1 screens with colors, and you can't see them anymore.

As for the reason why Oculus VR uses a white shape on a black background for it's logo : No idea, maybe they love light rays.