cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Godrays dependant on eye health/vision (confirmed at least for me!)

Blyss4226
Rising Star
So I've had this theory for a while that the severity of the CV1 godrays might be related to people's individual eye health and eye sight. That's one of only two ways I know that explains the widely varying reports of how bad they are. The other would be a variation in the headsets themselves. I don't have multiple Rifts to try, but I do have my own eyes which are very bad. I see 20/60 in my left eye and 20/140 in my right i.e. I see 1/3 as good as a normal person in my left eye and 1/7th as good in my right.

As I stated in a thread I made a good while back I find the CV1 godrays to be incredibly bad - like spotlights emitting from every object in the scene bad. I did get used to them with time where they didn't bother me, but they were definitely horrible. Far worse than either of my friends with Rift experience them.

Today I got my contacts. And I just finished trying out the Rift with them. In addition to everything being clearer overall and finding the sweet spot being MUCH easier, the godrays are all but gone. Seriously. Correcting my vision took them from horrible and everywhere on everything to barely even able to be seen when looking for them.

So it's as I suspected - at least to some degree your vision affects how badly you perceive the godrays. My theory is that having bad vision sort of blurs out the godrays and makes them much much more noticeable by spreading them over a larger area. That's just a theory though.

Either way so my suggestion to those of you who experienced the godrays super badly like me would be to either A)Have your eyes checked if you never have or B)Wear your corrective lenses in the Rift. It's quite possible that it would clear it up for you like it did for me!

Also if anyone can relate a similar(or dissimilar) experience then please do!
Gaming: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz | R9 290 | 16GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 1 TB HDD Server: AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4Ghz | GT 610 | 8GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 320GB HDD
15 REPLIES 15

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I have read about this somewhere else and I posted about it no long ago. 

Rayvolution
Heroic Explorer

I think eyesight is the reason for many posts regarding IQ.

EDIT: i.e. Image Quality.

Actually to be honest, on this note I have suspected some near sighted people who need glasses in daily life but don't need them to use their computer monitors or read a book are taking off or not using their glasses to use their Rifts thinking "The screens right in your face! I don't need my glasses!", then getting a blurry image because the screen is actually optically 5(?) feet away. So it's still usable, but appears somewhat blurry and they don't put 2 and 2 together.

Me on the other hand, I'm blind as a bat. I tried the Rift without my contacts in just for giggles, knowing it wouldn't work well, and couldn't even read the Oculus Home page or identify most of the banner icons. 😛

EDIT: Failed at English a bit.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I need glasses to read and look at my computer screen. I don't use them in DK2 though and I can see everything very clearly. There's a choice of lenses though in DK2, so that might change when I get CV1.

Zandil
Rising Star
I have reading glasses and use them for a normal monitor, used them in the DK2 (unable to read any text in DK2 without them)

CV1 I don't wear them,  they don't fit in the rift ( will be getting a set from lens VR lab when available )

But I can read text in the CV1 without them which was impossible in Dk2 or a normal monitor for me.

God rays I hardy notice and find them very minor to me. 

stubboyo
Explorer
This has not been the case for me.  I had PRK done 6 years ago after having terrible myopia and now have excellent uncorrected vision (though I am beginning to get the tiniest bit far sighted - presbyopic - in my older age).  I find the god-rays / smearing quite noticeable, though they are improved if I have the Rift correctly positioned.

tommet
Expert Protege
I'm 20/13 in one eye and 20/15 in the other.   God rays are there.

tommet
Expert Protege
It's a side effect of the lens system.  Good vision and correct positioning should minimize them, but I don't think you are going to eliminate them with this setup.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Zandil said:

I have reading glasses and use them for a normal monitor, used them in the DK2 (unable to read any text in DK2 without them)

CV1 I don't wear them,  they don't fit in the rift ( will be getting a set from lens VR lab when available )

But I can read text in the CV1 without them which was impossible in Dk2 or a normal monitor for me.

I don't think you're able to change the lenses in CV1 are you?

Zandil
Rising Star

lovethis said:

Zandil said:

I don't think you're able to change the lenses in CV1 are you?

VR lens lab will be making prescription clip in glasses that clip into the Rift and Vive, they sit just in front of the normal lens so you don't have to crowbar your own glasses into the Rift.

https://vr-lens-lab.com/