cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google could be working on VR headset to rival Oculus Rift

ennogs
Expert Protege
Several high-profile recruitments -- including Jason Toff of Vine/Twitter -- and a series of recent job ads for engineers and managers specialized in Virtual Reality (VR), suggest that search engine giant Google is working on a new VR project. This could take the form of a much more advanced handset than the firm's current Cardboard VR viewer.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/google-c ... -1.2750817
6 REPLIES 6

Bloodlet
Rising Star
I recently read a similar article on apple too.

Looks like there's a few companies getting the wake up call that VR is actually happening.

This is all good news for VR 😛

Peejle
Explorer
That makes 4 of the tech 'Frightful Five' with some hardware stake in VR. Wouldn't be surprised to see Amazon jump in too. Have been very impressed with the leaps and bounds they're making with Echo.

Peejle

cdmoore74
Protege
I could see Google jumping in and being real good if it was on the same level as Oculus Rift (not mobile). The players could be very different come March 2017. I even see Samsung jumping into the PC VR world that would basically use a 4K phone as a display with a headset that attaches to the computer (for PC gaming) or function like a Gear VR (for mobile). That might be the only reason why I would switch back to Samsung.

onefang
Explorer
"ennogs" wrote:
This could take the form of a much more advanced handset than the firm's current Cardboard VR viewer

Considering that Google Cardboard is just a glorified pizza box, it's not hard to be much more advanced. lol

Bel-garath
Expert Protege
We've heard this about Apple and many more. When they have something we can see that's when it will actually be interesting.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"keithianw" wrote:
We've heard this about Apple and many more. When they have something we can see that's when it will actually be interesting.

Agreed, right now it'll take them a few years to get something even a beta out at this time. Google does have cardboard, but it was just a way to get people into thinking about VR. As for real VR projects ~ I haven't really seen anything from Google. On the other hand, they do have some tech already that could be use in VR such as optical tracking and a few others. More or less I see google more into VR and AR projects than actually making a customer headset at the end of the day.

Apple I know for sure wants it to work, but I don't know how I feel about them. They really want it more for the AR than VR I would think, but maybe they do wanna bring VR for their customers because they could just send the data to a VR headset instead of a monitor. This has advantages and disadvantages, but over all really good for art and work designs if everything pans out. It could also bring them a new way of computing as well in terms of shipping computers and all in one solutions for different devices and networking of said devices and data.