cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got to try Oculus GO - Thoughts

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Was able to try out a Production Prototype of Oculus GO at one of our developers. I wanted to put down my feelings of the community here before I pen a feature:

- the display is much crisper than CV1
- the FOV seemed slightly tighter (not much)
- felt like the same performance as a GVR, just better screen
- did not try controller
- audio was underwhelming but this may be due to the demos

I was surprised that there will not be a SD card slot - and was not sure what the final production versions battery life will be. But I still think this will be a great boon to OVR.

I think this could put Daydream into a uncomfortable position - not sure if the OGO will be only able to access the Oculus Store - if that is the case, may be a bit of an issue if HTC release their standalone.

Final observation, I get the feeling that OVR will announce the launch of this a lot sooner than everyone thinks.

Just my quick observations.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
132 REPLIES 132

TigerPeteVR
Explorer
The site does mention 'integrated spacial audio'.  I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing some of the www.melodyvr.com content on the Go.  It's supposed to be awesome with the UK Head of Marketing for Sony Music tweeting 'I've just seen the future of music' after seeing it last week.

Reverend_Brown
Protege

Mradr said:

32GB of storage is actually quite a bit really for mobile games.

A number of the better games on the platform come in at between 500MB and 1GB in size.  A few of them are even pushing 1.5GB.  But games aren't the issue.  Both the Gear VR and Go are about more than just games. 

Let's say that you want to download some of the better quality immersive media content, such as that produced by Felix & Paul Studios.  Some of their stuff clocks in at several Gigabytes (Miyubi for example is 6GB).  You can easily hit 20GB or so with this sort of thing alone. 

Or let's say you want to download all the Metaverse content in the ORBX Media Player.  It's some of the most visually impressive content available on any VR platform and it's great to keep it instantly available.  That's another 6-8GB or so. 

There are plenty of video content distribution platforms as well, where the best experience is achieved by downloading instead of streaming.  Add more Gigabytes. 

And I'm just getting started.  I don't even want to tell you how much space I am using for VR content on my S8.  And I'm not an app/content hoarder.  Far from it.  I just want to have all the best content there, ready to go.  That's all.  It's trivially easy to blow out beyond 32GB if that's your goal. 

All this is to say that if I want to properly enjoy the Go the 32GB version is totally out of the question.  Even the 64GB version will force me into different content storage/acquisition habits that I'd rather not be forced into.  But it will be a whole lot more manageable.

If you go back to before CV1 came out and looked at the Gear VR section, one of the huge issues was storage - i had the 32GB S6 and was constantly having to make more space - 3d films, games and 360 photos.  

This is meant to be a mobile platform that you can take away with you - 32GB is far too small.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
The storage issue, and the lack of a SD card slot are the elephants in the room, and we will have to wait for the OVR statement on the reasoning. Those in the know claim this is part of a grand strategy towards a dedicated supported "VR ecosystem" building off of what was achieved with GVR - a "gateway VR platform" as it were. After reading the PCGamer interview I just posted here I can see what they are hoping to achieve, just not the way they are "encouraging" us to embrace their flavor of VR.

I expect OGO to sell well initially - what happens when buys find they are restricted in options regarding content... then we will see.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

LZoltowski
Champion

kevinw729 said:

The storage issue, and the lack of a SD card slot are the elephants in the room, and we will have to wait for the OVR statement on the reasoning. Those in the know claim this is part of a grand strategy towards a dedicated supported "VR ecosystem" building off of what was achieved with GVR - a "gateway VR platform" as it were. After reading the PCGamer interview I just posted here I can see what they are hoping to achieve, just not the way they are "encouraging" us to embrace their flavor of VR.

I expect OGO to sell well initially - what happens when buys find they are restricted in options regarding content... then we will see.

How were the optics like? Still smudgy god rays? Or a lot cleaner?
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

LZoltowski said:

I have been evaluating the Samsung Odyssey for a project so have been spoilt of late. The OGO optics were blurry round the far edge (did not impact on immersion), but the pixels and colors were sharp. I could see that the GR's had not been eliminated but had been reduced. I also felt that the SD had also been reduced. I think the use of the new lens in support of the crisper display all work well.

gk08a7k00hsv.png

One nice element about the OGO is the lack of light-leak, and the whole poorly fitting/connected mobile phone issues, (as well as the issue less spoken about of GVR phone overheating and failure). As said before, this will be the "Gateway" VR system of choice for me when demonstrating, unless the restrictions on available storage and connect-ability/ecosystem means I have to support HTC's Vision.

LZoltowski
Champion

kevinw729 said:

LZoltowski said:

I have been evaluating the Samsung Odyssey for a project so have been spoilt of late. The OGO optics were blurry round the far edge (did not impact on immersion), but the pixels and colors were sharp. I could see that the GR's had not been eliminated but had been reduced. I also felt that the SD had also been reduced. I think the use of the new lens in support of the crisper display all work well.

One nice element about the OGO is the lack of light-leak, and the whole poorly fitting/connected mobile phone issues, (as well as the issue less spoken about of GVR phone overheating and failure). As said before, this will be the "Gateway" VR system of choice for me when demonstrating, unless the restrictions on available storage and connect-ability/ecosystem means I have to support HTC's Vision.

Ah that's great .. 
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Digikid1
Consultant
sry but even 64GB is IMHO way to small.  We need 128 MINIMUM.  The lack of a dedicated earphone jack and storage expansion is also a huge boon.

Was seriously considering this.....but now will give it a firm pass.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Digikid1 said:

sry but even 64GB is IMHO way to small.  We need 128 MINIMUM.  The lack of a dedicated earphone jack and storage expansion is also a huge boon.

Was seriously considering this.....but now will give it a firm pass.

I believe GO does have a headphone jack if you don’t want to use the built-in speakers. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

kevinw729
Honored Visionary