cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got to try Oculus GO - Thoughts

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Was able to try out a Production Prototype of Oculus GO at one of our developers. I wanted to put down my feelings of the community here before I pen a feature:

- the display is much crisper than CV1
- the FOV seemed slightly tighter (not much)
- felt like the same performance as a GVR, just better screen
- did not try controller
- audio was underwhelming but this may be due to the demos

I was surprised that there will not be a SD card slot - and was not sure what the final production versions battery life will be. But I still think this will be a great boon to OVR.

I think this could put Daydream into a uncomfortable position - not sure if the OGO will be only able to access the Oculus Store - if that is the case, may be a bit of an issue if HTC release their standalone.

Final observation, I get the feeling that OVR will announce the launch of this a lot sooner than everyone thinks.

Just my quick observations.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
132 REPLIES 132

frostyminty
Honored Guest
As long as I can have the same or better quality and experience with 360 pics and movies and theater experience as the rift I'm buying the go. I returned my rift because no games could hold my interest. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

MowTin said:

Why would anyone buy the GO instead of Gear VR?

How many times is this question going to get asked despite the very logical and valid answer being so blatantly apparent?

Gear VR required a specific type of phone. Not everyone owns that type of phone. In fact, millions of people own an entirely different type of phone, one that is incredibly successful but not at all compatible with the Gear VR. Those consumers will be able to get a Mobile VR headset for a great price without changing out their phones.

I'll let you figure out exactly which phones are involved.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Zenbane said:

MowTin said:

Why would anyone buy the GO instead of Gear VR?

How many times is this question going to get asked despite the very logical and valid answer being so blatantly apparent?

Gear VR required a specific type of phone. Not everyone owns that type of phone. In fact, millions of people own an entirely different type of phone, one that is incredibly successful but not at all compatible with the Gear VR. Those consumers will be able to get a Mobile VR headset for a great price without changing out their phones.

I'll let you figure out exactly which phones are involved.

But I thought we were told to wait for Apple to become a big VR player in five years rather than buy GO this year. So confused!   😞

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

nalex66 said:
But I thought we were told to wait for Apple to become a big VR player in five years rather than buy GO this year. So confused!   😞

I always assumed that the Apple prediction about them becoming a "big VR Player" was just about the company gaining too much weight, metaphorically speaking.

The all-in-one nature of Stand Alone VR headsets, like the Santa Cruz, are very much in line with Steve Jobs' vision of the future. But he aint around anymore, and Apple hasn't been the same since. By the time Apple becomes a Big VR Player, the current Big Players will be Colossal.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
I am interested in the comments "...why buy a OGO when there is GVR..." but you have to remember the old GVR is now outdated (new Samsung smartphone is out) - and even though we were shown a GVR2 that supports the new handset, no one has seen it since! So the OGO fills an important gap.

I think we may be due a big Samsung positioning announcement  - a possible linked to XBoneX involvement with WinMR**, then we can expect things to get really interesting.

** = just some ideal supposition, not confirmed by official sources.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

jayhawk
Superstar
I wouldn't use GVR even if I had a phone that worked (now I do). The heat will just kill the $800 phone early anyway. In other words I'd take Go over GVR any day, and leave the phone pocketed. I still think Google is nuts for sticking with phone based VR. I suspect phone based VR will become a thing of the recent past.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

So far Oculus with its billion dollar backer Facebook have yet to take control of the PCVR market. Without Facebooks money the whole stack of cards collapses.

OMG dude - 2016 arguments again?!

Okay let's revisit the wrongfulness of your statements:
  1. You bought an HTC Vive yet without the Valve VR patents HTC would not have a Vive to make.
  2. Without Steam, the Vive would have no proper Storefront.
  3. Without the HTC Venture Capital Alliance trying to match Facebook's billions, HTC would have nothing to compete with.
  4. Without the money Google gave HTC, there would be no more Vive.

Also, Facebook's goal should never be to "take control of the PCVR market," as that would make them a Monopoly and monopolies are illegal. Facebook and Oculus are Leaders in the VR industry, and that is good enough. The products you choose and advocate for (Google DayDream, HTC Vive, and Pimax) fall in to the categories of "barely making it" and "a complete non-factor."

Oculuses market share is about to take a nose dive
It is spelled Oculus' not Oculuses lol

However, the only thing that has taken a nose dive is your chosen HMD manufacturer, HTC. Oculus continues to gain ground globally and on Steam. Present day facts are completely absent from the rhetoric in your entire post.

Samsung and Apple command over 40% of the Mobile market between them while Oculus sits at zero.

False. Oculus powers the Gear VR which is the leading VR HMD (for years), and that is part of the mobile market. Apple mobile users have no ability to power a VR HMD, and Oculus GO will give them that power. Those who have spent the last 2 years hoping for Faceboook-Oculus to fail are in for a huge surprise with the release of GO and Santa Cruz. Get that wishful thinking bucket shined and ready! It's gonna get a lot of use in 2018 lol

Anonymous
Not applicable
Everything that @Zenbane said 😄

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

jayhawk said:

I wouldn't use GVR even if I had a phone that worked (now I do). The heat will just kill the phone early anyway. In other words I'd take Go over GVR any day, and leave the phone pocketed. I still think Google is nuts for sticking with phone based VR. I suspect phone based VR will become a thing of the recent past.

Exactly. Not only does GO appeal to the non-Android owners, but it will also appeal to a subset of Android owners who do not wish to drain their batteries with a VR HMD. People are already draining the hell out of their batteries with all of the mobile apps available on the market (Mobile Apps are a multi-billion dollar industry for a reason).

As for Google, I love their Search Engine but they really do suck at just about everything else. I was a fan of their non-Search Engine efforts early on, but they just seemed to fail repeatedly. Google Glasses have become a joke, but aside from that...
  • Google tried to compete with Facebook directly by launching Google+, and that was a flop.
  • Google tried to compete with Microsoft's Office suite by launching Google Docs, and that was a flop despite Google Docs being free!

There are many more examples, but the point is obvious. Google needs to stick with their Search Engine. The closest they have come to being a real contender outside of the Search Engine industry is with Google Home; but Alexa is still whooping its arse.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

Samsung and Apple command over 40% of the Mobile market between them while Oculus sits at zero. That’s a huge difference is terms of technological and marketing transitions, something I don’t see Oculus overcoming no matter what headset they put out. Nobody is going to ditch iTunes for the Oculus store and nobody will ditch their mobile for GO.

Um, Samsung and Apple control the mobile phone market. Oculus aren’t challenging that—you do realize GO isn’t a phone, right? They aren’t expecting anyone to ditch their phone to use mobile VR, they’re simply providing a mobile VR option that doesn’t depend on stuffing your phone into a headset. Sounds good to me. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo