cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got to try Oculus GO - Thoughts

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Was able to try out a Production Prototype of Oculus GO at one of our developers. I wanted to put down my feelings of the community here before I pen a feature:

- the display is much crisper than CV1
- the FOV seemed slightly tighter (not much)
- felt like the same performance as a GVR, just better screen
- did not try controller
- audio was underwhelming but this may be due to the demos

I was surprised that there will not be a SD card slot - and was not sure what the final production versions battery life will be. But I still think this will be a great boon to OVR.

I think this could put Daydream into a uncomfortable position - not sure if the OGO will be only able to access the Oculus Store - if that is the case, may be a bit of an issue if HTC release their standalone.

Final observation, I get the feeling that OVR will announce the launch of this a lot sooner than everyone thinks.

Just my quick observations.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
132 REPLIES 132

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

Oculus havent released sales figures for software sales so you don't know if Oculus have gained ground on Steam.

According to Steam, Oculus has gained ground on the Steam. You should check Steams numbers.

Oculus Sales figures have nothing to do with Steam either, Apples n' Oranges.

And thats a big tell - still gaining ground after 2 years while GabeN
laughs as Rifters buy Steam games while Oculus Home blocks Vive and WMR.

That rhetoric works both ways: While the world laughs at HTC as they sold parts of their company to Google after suffering 27 straight months of financial loss.

And to correct the falsehoods of your statements: Oculus Home supports Vive through Revive, and not even Steam supported WMR at release.

Atmos73 said:

You repeat over and over about Oculus Powering the GearVR but if Samsung stop producing GearVR Oculus wont be powering anything.

That's not a real argument at all. And even the fiction in that argument is wrong for multiple reasons:
1) If Valve didn't share their VR HMD patents, then HTC wouldn't have a VR product at all.
2) Samsung has not stopped producing the Gear VR.
3) Oculus will be powering 2 other VR HMD's this year, GO and Santa Cruz.

Also, the only reason I repeat over and over about Oculus powering the Gear VR is because you repeat over and over that Oculus is not in the Mobile VR market.

Atmos73 said:

GO hasn't sold one unit yet so Oculus could be at ground zero if people switch to Daydream.

Apple doesn't even have a VR product on the market but you keep typing about how they are somehow going to harm Facebook-Oculus in the VR industry. So... extreme contradiction here.

Plus, the biggest problem that Daydream poses is the fact that it is made by Google, who is also HTC's new Daddy... and HTC is trying to enter the Mobile VR Market with Vive Focus. Daydream's name is highly appropriate because any notion that it will ever become a real contender really is a dream.

Samsung and Sony sold around 152 million phones between them in one
quarter compared to GearVRs 4 million in 2 years? Most of them given
away.

Samsung and Sony give away phones as well. Lots of them. More than whatever you only "think" was given away with Gear VR.

Samsung havent shown their hand yet. Sony havent shown their hand yet
and Apple haven't shown their hand yet. Oculus are sat around a poker
table counting chips while the other players are stood at the bar
setting the buy in. 

False. Facebook and Oculus have multi-year projects going on with both hardware and software. That is the literal opposite of "sitting around the poker table counting chips." As I said, the rhetoric in your posts denies actual present-day facts.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:
Its the same people who buy mobiles who will be buying VR headsets theres no getting around it. There isn't some mystical uncharted market place specifically for VR people. Who's going to be so untech savvy not to own a mobile suddenly say hey VR is for me?

Once again you ignore facts. GO is ideal for people who do in fact own a mobile phone, like an iPhone, that does not power the Gear VR.

You have been told this many, many times since GO was announced. But you keep pretending that GO is for people who dont have phones. You seem to think that Gear VR can be powered by any and every phone. That is the only way that your arguments make sense. But Gear VR can't be powered by any phone, only specific phones. None of which are the "billions" of iPhones that is currently in consumer hands worldwide.

But you will continue to ignore this even now, because to acknowledge the truth about Gear VR's phone limitations will hurt your argument and overall intent.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:
Oculus's biggest challenge was never going to be HTC it was allways going to be Samsung, Sony, and Apple.

And wow... this is NOT what you were saying ad naseum in 2016 and at least half of 2017. You changed your tune about HTC after, and only after, they nearly went bankrupt and sold to Google.

That is some very serious moving of the Goal Post lol

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

You are not telling me anything, you are sharing your opinion. You don't have sales data from Oculus on Rift sales, you don't have sales figures on Oculus software sales. So you can tell me your opinion over and over and over but theres no facts there I need to agree with.

It's a fact that people own iPhones.

It's a fact that iPhones do not currently power the Gear VR.

It is a fact that you spent 2016 and parts of 2017 predicting Oculus would lose ground to HTC.

It is a fact that you are now, in 2018, changing your tune to say that it wasn't HTC that was going to challenge Oculus, but Samsung, Sony, and Apple.

Yet is a fact that Samsung maintains an ongoing relationship with Facebook-Oculus.

It is a fact that Apple does not yet have a VR Hardware product on the market.

It is a fact that you publicly state very strong anti-Oculus predictions based on ideas that completely ignore facts.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:
No because OpenVR was always about multiple HMD manufactueres while Oculus was always about the closed ECO system. After 2 years nothing has changed. HTC is a HMD manufcturer on the SteamVR platform as is Rift and now all those WMR headsets. GabeN moves the goalposts every time a new HMD manufacturer joins in like Pimax in 2018. Choice is the goalpost and the GabeN goal is getting wider and wider while the Oculus goal is still waiting for Samsung to throw the ball before it walks off the pitch.

This in no way addresses the fact that you spent 1.5 years saying that HTC would challenge Oculus in a way that leads to Oculus' demise, and now you are retracting that statement entirely.

That is how you moved the Goal Post. Whatever you just typed was completely out of left field (and full of errors that I won't bother correcting).

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
( look around )
Nope didnt miss anything same old same old.
WAAAGH!

firagabird
Adventurer

jayhawk said:

I still think Google is nuts for sticking with phone based VR.

They're not; they've got a whole line of Daydream Standalone headsets coming out, starting with the ~$400 Lenovo Mirage Solo with 6dof headset (but same 3dof controller).
S7 Exynos Nougat. 2017 Gear VR. Public test channel.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Morgrum said:

( look around )
Nope didnt miss anything same old same old.

Yeah! Shame really.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mradr said:

32GB of storage is actually quite a bit really for mobile games.

A number of the better games on the platform come in at between 500MB and 1GB in size.  A few of them are even pushing 1.5GB.  But games aren't the issue.  Both the Gear VR and Go are about more than just games. 

Let's say that you want to download some of the better quality immersive media content, such as that produced by Felix & Paul Studios.  Some of their stuff clocks in at several Gigabytes (Miyubi for example is 6GB).  You can easily hit 20GB or so with this sort of thing alone. 

Or let's say you want to download all the Metaverse content in the ORBX Media Player.  It's some of the most visually impressive content available on any VR platform and it's great to keep it instantly available.  That's another 6-8GB or so. 

There are plenty of video content distribution platforms as well, where the best experience is achieved by downloading instead of streaming.  Add more Gigabytes. 

And I'm just getting started.  I don't even want to tell you how much space I am using for VR content on my S8.  And I'm not an app/content hoarder.  Far from it.  I just want to have all the best content there, ready to go.  That's all.  It's trivially easy to blow out beyond 32GB if that's your goal. 

All this is to say that if I want to properly enjoy the Go the 32GB version is totally out of the question.  Even the 64GB version will force me into different content storage/acquisition habits that I'd rather not be forced into.  But it will be a whole lot more manageable.

Those are not games. They are experiences and unfortunately means they won't be kept over a given time. Experiences have a really high turnover rate once they are played a few times and or shown to a few buddies. With a download world we live in - it's not that really hard to redownload those apps again as well if you want to show off those experiences in the future as well. Otherwise, they just sit there taking up space for no reason. If you are showing it off that many times - then might want to think about getting maybe more OGO anyways to split up the experiences for more people to view at once anyways.

Really - that's all I have to say - unless there is a reason you can't redownload the content (a good reason) then this point is really not a full on problem other than people just downloading things and keeping them over a given amount of time. It's no different than people filling up a 1TB drive with games on the PC. They don't play them all - but they do keep them for unknown reasons when they can just clear that space and redownload from Stream again later.

Granted - that is you and you are a customer that has a need for more storage - but at the same time - is mobile really the better options in this case for your use case? Wouldn't going Oculus VR and having full access to a larger amount of storage be better? Even the SC would be a better option depending on what they are going to add to it. Mobile already has problems with storage as it is. This isn't because storage cost a lot - but because - you need to increase the amount of RAM that is usable per amount of storage to help keep that from hitting the disk as much. So in this use case - the more that the dev adds to the experience the more they actually need from the hardware it self in general. If you look at it like this - then you can understand that 32, 64, and 128 are pretty much the sizes that 4GB of ram will be able to really deal with without running into other problems such as CPU/GPU usage for things datasets that require larger amount of resources in the first place to process.

Not digging on any one here that wants more storage - but more storage comes at a price of real hardware limits that need to be accounted for as well. Otherwise - it's better to clean the room and move things inside that room as needed when you need it than it is to fill it up and complain that the room is too small. Instead, buy a bigger house and have more rooms to fill more things and do other functions with. Aka, you wouldn't make your one room the bathroom, living room, your bedroom, and kitchen would you? No (well I hope no...) you buy a bigger house that has multi rooms for those functions.

So no, I think your use case is just in the wrong spot here. I think if you are downloading that many things then you need to look at a different options just in general. For the person that wants to stream a movie, play a few games, and not have to go out and buy a large phone/big bill - OGO is a great option even with it's short falls for now.

No because OpenVR was always about multiple HMD manufactueres while Oculus was always about the closed ECO system. After 2 years nothing has changed. HTC is a HMD manufcturer on the SteamVR platform as is Rift and now all those WMR headsets. GabeN moves the goalposts every time a new HMD manufacturer joins in like Pimax in 2018. Choice is the goalpost and the GabeN goal is getting wider and wider while the Oculus goal is still waiting for Samsung to throw the ball before it walks off the pitch. 

No offence - but you are pushing the goal line here... this is the first I have ever seen you say any of this. I mean it's true fact, but not something that was a real problem until here more recent. You are saying it like you been saying it for a while. Right now, WMR still has a ton of problems. It's not like it came out swinging and better and across multi platforms yet. GabeN doesn't move the goal line though - it was clear at the start - soo many of us said - Steam is just a storefront. Their goal is to sell software. Really this is just a pointless comparing if you ask me.

If you really want to compare though, we need to look at what Oculus does have for the store front and one thing they do have is CROSS PLATFORM. With the release of GR and OGO - they now have enter in a place that Steam has no control over and is a totally new front tire that allows Oculus multi source income. Even if you compare that to WMR storefront access- that is a whole market that those devices can't access. If you look at it like that - then you see they are actually a head of both Steam and WMR. Taking this one set more - you will notice that the hardware they are selling or going sell matches and offers a option for anyone that wants a choice of the hardware they will want to access VR on. That is already far head of WMR and Vive is offering as well. Meaning if you want to play on the PC and have some cash to burn or want the best eye candy you can get? go CV1/2 - want to play on the go though? Pick up a OGO or SC device. - Don't have a lot of money, but still want to play in VR or use VR? Pick up a OGO and start watching movies in VR or play some basic games while you wait for the wife to get ready today!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:

Colonel_Izzi said:
A number of the better games on the platform come in at between 500MB and 1GB in size.  A few of them are even pushing 1.5GB.

Those are not games. They are experiences and unfortunately means they won't be kept over a given time.

Izzi is right when he talks about the file size of many Games (not Experiences). Here are some that I pulled from my own library as examples:

1. Please Don't Touch Anything: 388MB
  2. Attack of the Bugs: 400MB
  3. Blaze Rush: 500MB
  4. Witchblood: 730MB
  5. Darknet: 870MB
  6. Into the Dead: 930MB

1. Eve Gunjack: 1GB
  2. Defense Grid 2: 1.25GB
  3. Neverout: 1.25GB
  4. Dead Secret: 1.5GB

And these are files for the Rift. The file sizes made for GearVR titles are smaller. Oculus GO will have plenty with either 32GB or 64GB for the type of consumer that would want a self-contained mobile VR headset to begin with. At $200 it is hard to beat. And if someone decides they want more... they can spend an extra $150 to get a Rift.