cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got to try Oculus GO - Thoughts

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Was able to try out a Production Prototype of Oculus GO at one of our developers. I wanted to put down my feelings of the community here before I pen a feature:

- the display is much crisper than CV1
- the FOV seemed slightly tighter (not much)
- felt like the same performance as a GVR, just better screen
- did not try controller
- audio was underwhelming but this may be due to the demos

I was surprised that there will not be a SD card slot - and was not sure what the final production versions battery life will be. But I still think this will be a great boon to OVR.

I think this could put Daydream into a uncomfortable position - not sure if the OGO will be only able to access the Oculus Store - if that is the case, may be a bit of an issue if HTC release their standalone.

Final observation, I get the feeling that OVR will announce the launch of this a lot sooner than everyone thinks.

Just my quick observations.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
132 REPLIES 132

pyroth309
Visionary
Really - that's all I have to say - unless there is a reason you can't redownload the content (a good reason) then this point is really not a full on problem other than people just downloading things and keeping them over a given amount of time. It's no different than people filling up a 1TB drive with games on the PC. They don't play them all - but they do keep them for unknown reasons when they can just clear that space and redownload from Stream again later.

I have a good reason! I live 0.25 miles away from having good internet. Instead of 225 megabit like some of my family has down the street...I'm restricted to 12 megabit in 2018 still because I live under a quarter mile from the "Good" cable monopoly and have to settle for this crap. Could be worse though, at least my connection is stable for gaming. That said, I fall into that category where I have enormous amounts of games downloaded at any given time. When the time comes that I want to play one, I only have to move it back to my SSD (It's 1tb and i have issues keeping enough freespace on it) instead of having to download it again for 12 hours. So for people like me, I hope there's a good portable storage solution with it. It's named the "GO" after all. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:
And these are files for the Rift. The file sizes made for GearVR titles are smaller. Oculus GO will have plenty with either 32GB or 64GB for the type of consumer that would want a self-contained mobile VR headset to begin with. At $200 it is hard to beat. And if someone decides they want more... they can spend an extra $150 to get a Rift.

Even still that is 32GB x 1024 = 32768 / 750 (more than 500MB but less than the full 1GB) = 40 games
32GB x 1024 = 32768 / 1024 = 30 games
32GB x 1024 = 32768 / 1536 = 20 games
32GB x 1024 = 32768 / 2048 = 15 games
32GB x 1024 = 32768 / 2560 = 10 games
After that - I never seen a mobile game really be over 2GB of storage. I mean they are out there don't get me wrong, but most mobile apps fall short of 2GB. Even then - most people play between 2-3 different games at any one time because they are design to keep you playing for more benefits with in that software. Unless you are switching between a lot of different things - I really don't see many people needing more than the 64GB device for something that is ONLY going to be limited to games and experiences. Not saying he is wrong - but I believe you are better off switching to a different platforum really if that is not going to be enough storage for a given amount of hardware that is going to run that app. Mobile apps are design with not that much going on. Meaning you can really save up on the space as you won't be able to load that many assets onto the screen in the first place. Textures don't really need to be high quality either as again - it won't support past a given pixel count either way. Aka, having a 4k texture would be simply silly with in a OGO while a 4k texture would be perfectly fine in CV1 platforum as it can be scale up or down on more powerful hardware.

pyroth309 said:

Really - that's all I have to say - unless there is a reason you can't redownload the content (a good reason) then this point is really not a full on problem other than people just downloading things and keeping them over a given amount of time. It's no different than people filling up a 1TB drive with games on the PC. They don't play them all - but they do keep them for unknown reasons when they can just clear that space and redownload from Stream again later.

I have a good reason! I live 0.25 miles away from having good internet. Instead of 225 megabit like some of my family has down the street...I'm restricted to 12 megabit in 2018 still because I live under a quarter mile from the "Good" cable monopoly and have to settle for this crap. Could be worse though, at least my connection is stable for gaming. That said, I fall into that category where I have enormous amounts of games downloaded at any given time. When the time comes that I want to play one, I only have to move it back to my SSD (It's 1tb and i have issues keeping enough freespace on it) instead of having to download it again for 12 hours. So for people like me, I hope there's a good portable storage solution with it. It's named the "GO" after all. 

What games are redownloading/playing with in that library? I see a lot of people make that comment - then you look at the steam store play count and it is less than top 10 games (they have 100) - the rest never see the light of day again. Also take in the account that a mobile APP is going to be smaller in general than a PC game. Most PC games are 50 to 100 times larger than what a mobile app will have.

I will say people with connection problems/limits might not like it - but at the same time - You are running into other problems really than a storage problem. 1MB will take a while to download that many games/software and by the time you play them to complete - you will just keep them in your drive and never play them again? What is the point. Clear that crap off and download something else anyways.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:

Zenbane said:
And these are files for the Rift. The file sizes made for GearVR titles are smaller. Oculus GO will have plenty with either 32GB or 64GB for the type of consumer that would want a self-contained mobile VR headset to begin with. At $200 it is hard to beat. And if someone decides they want more... they can spend an extra $150 to get a Rift.

Even still that is 32GB x 1024 = 32768 / 750 (more than 500MB but less than the full 1GB) = 40 games
After that - I never seen a mobile game really be over 2GB of storage.

You are not really describing a problem at all. We can use one of your previous arguments to emphasize the point, "they won't be kept over a given time."

People can and will  uninstall games once they have been played out. This makes room for more games. I already uninstall games for my Rift that have run their course, and I do it just for general cleanup.

The fact is that you denied games are under 1 or 2GB, and that was proven wrong. Now you're trying to switch the argument to something about quantity at any given time, which isn't a real problem by your own admission.

pyroth309
Visionary
Yea, I'm pretty sure the 64 gig option will be sufficient for what I want to do with the Go. As long as i can get files on it over my wifi or through a PC/USB, i'll be content.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Mradr said:

Zenbane said:

After that - I never seen a mobile game really be over 2GB of storage.

You are not really describing a problem at all. We can use one of your previous arguments to emphasize the point, "they won't be kept over a given time."

People can and will  uninstall games once they have been played out. This makes room for more games. I already uninstall games for my Rift that have run their course, and I do it just for general cleanup.

The fact is that you denied games are under 1 or 2GB, and that was proven wrong. Now you're trying to switch the argument to something about quantity at any given time, which isn't a real problem by your own admission.

What do you mean? The post I quote first said that wouldn't allow more than a few games. I just show numbers of the following base off the fact that of size and turnover rates over a given amount of games a user might play at once. That of witch you have quotes is not a problem but a fact that it should give plenty of space in the first place. "Izzi is right when he talks about the file size of many Games (not Experiences)". I think it's right. On average a games isn't bigger than 2GBs on a mobile platform. You gave numbers base off CV1/PC titles that are going to be larger than what an app would have in size because they would have more resources to use. So I am bit confused on what you mean I denied that games are under 1 or 2GB? The numbers goes up to 2.5GB for a game - witch is pretty large and still gives you access to about 10 games that you can play on just a 32GB mobile. That is awesome and again I think is plenty of space for most people. Some of the things Izzi was saying sounded/were Experiences meaning they have higher-than-normal turnover rates for most of the normal users that will be using OGO. I also pointed out that it might be better to switch platforms to like CV1 if that is what you want to do anyways as it would allow access to more storage and more resources in the first place. Is that wrong?

Izzi said: All this is to say that if I want to properly enjoy the Go the 32GB version is totally out of the question.  Even the 64GB version will force me into different content storage/acquisition habits that I'd rather not be forced into.  But it will be a whole lot more manageable.

Aka:
1) 32GB is plenty of space for the average vr user for games/experience/apps.
2) Apps are smaller in size, and most apps will keep in smaller sizes because of limits of what the hardware can handle making it kind of future proof over a few year life span.
3) Devs that try and push past those storage limits will run into other problems such as CPU/GPU/RAM limits anyways if they try to put more in than needed for what the hardware can support.
4) If you are looking for more storage there is the 64GB version, but even if that isn't enough - then you might look at another platform like SC or CV instead as there is more storage and or more resources to use.
5) Apps will keep low in numbers because of turn over rates anyways as people try out experiences or find games they just don't like or play anymore.
6) The scare of running out of space is silly because you can always redownload apps as needed while removing things you can live without for a few mins/don't use anymore either way. File sizes keeps the download short as a plus.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:
Aka:
1) 32GB is plenty of space for the average vr user for games/experience/apps.
2) Apps are smaller in size, and most apps will keep in smaller sizes because of limits of what the hardware can handle making it kind of future proof over a few year life span.
3) Devs that try and push past those storage limits will run into other problems such as CPU/GPU/RAM limits anyways if they try to put more in than needed.
4) If you are looking for more storage there is the 64GB version, but even if that isn't enough - then you might look at another platform like SC or CV instead as there is more storage and or more resources to use.
5) Apps will keep low in numbers because of turn over rates anyways as people try out experiences or find games they just don't like or play anymore.
6) The scare of running out of space is silly because you can always redownload apps as needed while removing things you can live without for a few mins/don't use anymore either way. File sizes keeps the download short as a plus.

I agree with all of that!

Reverend_Brown
Protege

Mradr said:

So no, I think your use case is just in the wrong spot here. !

I stand by everything I said.  As such my original post will suffice as the bulk of my response here.

The only thing I'd like to add is that I've been watching the Gear VR community for about 3 years.  I saw the shitstorm of complaints that rolled in about the 32GB version of the S6, and the 32GB version of the S7 before it was possible to move Oculus apps to the SD card (the 32GB version of the S7 was the only variant available in many parts of the world too so it's not as if people could choose to pay more for additional internal storage).  Sure, there's more storage-occupying bloat on a phone than there will be on the Go, but I believe I can nonetheless say with a good degree of certainty, based on my own experience and that of many others, that a lot of people who end up choosing the 32GB version of the Go are going to regret it.  Not because they wont be able to manage with that amount of storage.  They will.  People learn to function within the limitations they are faced with.  It's because it's simply nice to have more room to breath.  We are engaged in recreational activities here where the name of the game is maximizing enjoyment.  And I believe I am doing potential buyers a service by prompting them to consider all the common use cases that do in fact chew up storage space at an alarming rate.

Oh god no - 32GB is not enough.  Be prepared to do a lot of juggling.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

MowTin
Expert Trustee
When you're in $200 land, you're in console territory. The GO is like a new console without a must have game. I predict it will totally flop like the Atari Jaguar. I don't think there is much of a casual VR market. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Anonymous
Not applicable

MowTin said:

When you're in $200 land, you're in console territory. The GO is like a new console without a must have game. I predict it will totally flop like the Atari Jaguar. I don't think there is much of a casual VR market. 

I strongly suspect that Ocuus will launch with bundled games exclusive to the Oculus Go Store.