cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got to try Oculus GO - Thoughts

kevinw729
Level 16
Was able to try out a Production Prototype of Oculus GO at one of our developers. I wanted to put down my feelings of the community here before I pen a feature:

- the display is much crisper than CV1
- the FOV seemed slightly tighter (not much)
- felt like the same performance as a GVR, just better screen
- did not try controller
- audio was underwhelming but this may be due to the demos

I was surprised that there will not be a SD card slot - and was not sure what the final production versions battery life will be. But I still think this will be a great boon to OVR.

I think this could put Daydream into a uncomfortable position - not sure if the OGO will be only able to access the Oculus Store - if that is the case, may be a bit of an issue if HTC release their standalone.

Final observation, I get the feeling that OVR will announce the launch of this a lot sooner than everyone thinks.

Just my quick observations.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
132 REPLIES 132

LZoltowski
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

don't care what the context, Spock gifs get a like

star trek spock GIF
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

ok ok I asked.

I see Spock has pretty much the same expression stroking a cat as he does when he's looking at a half naked woman and stroking his lute

2nydhoh4egcp.jpg

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v20H2 (19043.1081)

YoLolo69
Level 10
Guys, I spend my likes amount for a month there... you make me blush 😉

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

MowTin
Level 11

ok ok I asked.

I see Spock has pretty much the same expression stroking a cat as he does when he's looking at a half naked woman and stroking his lute

2nydhoh4egcp.jpg

Spock's wife disapproves

i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Telepathy and marriage never ends well

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v20H2 (19043.1081)

nosys70
Level 5

so basically if i want to use it to view the 360 pictures and videos taken in the field with my 360 camera on microSD card i have to bring a computer with me ?

nice for a mobile device...

if confirmed , another shot in the foot for oculus.

YoLolo69
Level 10
If it manage USB OTG I don't see why you will have to bring a computer to watch your 360 video...

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

USB on-the-go would be ok as an alternative to a card reader. In some cases it might be better if it does away with the possibility that the recording device doesn't use the same type card as the headset. Even though SD seems to be pretty much the standard these days. Could even be a time-saver if it can play the files directly off the camera without having to transfer them or mess about with cards at all. Well, we just have to wait & see.

Edit.... and it could have the possibility of live-viewing the camera image. Ok I'm getting ahead of myself.

MowTin
Level 11
Why would anyone buy the GO instead of Gear VR?

I think this will not sell and be a total bust. What's the killer app for the GO? A game platform is sold by games that can only be played on that platform. What Oculus GO games will motivate people to buy the platform? 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

snowdog
Level 16

MowTin said:

Why would anyone buy the GO instead of Gear VR?

I think this will not sell and be a total bust. What's the killer app for the GO? A game platform is sold by games that can only be played on that platform. What Oculus GO games will motivate people to buy the platform? 

It isn't rocket surgery mate. Anyone without a Samsung phone that wants a high quality mobile VR experience. No Oculus Go exclusive games have been announced because it doesn't need any. It's binary compatible with the GearVR. We don't know if it's going to share the same storefront but even if it doesn't and a developer wants to have their GearVR game appearing in the new Oculus Go Store all they need to do is change the splash screens and submit it to Oculus.

This is great for developers because they can have the same game appear on two different stores with literally a few minutes work.

This device is going to sell a shitload imo.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever