cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Need RIFT essentials!

kennethffx2
Honored Guest
So, as fate would have it, my Oculus Rift will arrive Thursday October 10th 2013.
Problem: My internet is being cut off the day before, Wednesday October 9th 2013.

I'm moving to a new house and I won't have internet for 15 days after the 10th. So, not until October 25th.

So I was wondering if anyone here would help me.
What I need to know is what should I download to get me going offline?
I am very tech savvy, so just naming or linking to what I need is enough.

And other than the needed things, what are the must have things to try on the rift?

Any help is truly appreciated.
15 REPLIES 15

Frito
Explorer
why dont you download everything? thats pretty much what everyone does

riftenabled is a good place to search if you want more specific demos, but all of them have their pros and cons.
Backer "Have faith." -Palmer Luckey

Jrockin
Honored Guest
"Frito" wrote:
why dont you download everything? thats pretty much what everyone does

riftenabled is a good place to search if you want more specific demos, but all of them have their pros and cons.

Yeah, downloading everything is pretty much the best that you can do. I downloaded over 8gigs of demos in preparation for my rift, why would you want to limit yourself to any less?

As far as things that you will need, you can find the downloads in the developer center downloads tab

israfel
Honored Guest
I thought I remember hearing about a torrent with all of the currently available OR demos on it. That was a few weeks ago so it's probably not up to date now but it would easily give you 15 days worth. Also, Minecrift would be a good option. I've heard that it's easy to play for long periods of time so it would certainly be worth it if you're interested in Minecraft.

drash
Heroic Explorer
I would also grab the Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable (32-bit) and install that ahead of time, just in case you end up with some black screens like some people do. I have no idea if this is even still a requirement for newer demos.

You should also be sure to grab some downloads from the developer center, so that you have Tuscany (the Unity version with all the extra bells and whistles), and the OculusConfigUtil which you'll use to set up your IPD (once) and calibrate your magnetometer (once) ahead of time. (Not all demos use these yet, though)

And brush up on what you can do with monitor management. Rift as primary display, duplicated works best.

Beyond that, yep, get to downloading some content! 🙂
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

13thFloor
Honored Guest
Off top of my head.

Latest DirectX
Visual C++

Demos:
Tuscany
RiftCoaster
Geebles
Eden
VR Cinema
Rift Max (didnt work for me)
Hydra Scans / Human Scans (mlscans?)

Games:
Half Life 2
War Thunder
hawken
Intel i920@4ghz, 12gb ram, Windows 7 Nvidia GTX 970 4gb, 120gb SSD, OR Dev Kit 1&2

kennethffx2
Honored Guest
Thank you so much:
Frito
Jrockin
israfel
drash
13thFloor

Things like the C++ redistributable is good to know. Incase I run into any snags. Also the config utility for the IPD setup.
Minecraft sounds like a plan for after I try all the other cool things.

Not going to lie, I half expected to get told, "Look it up yourself." or something like that.
So thanks again for being an awesome community. 😄

Kumiko
Honored Guest
my rift hasn't arrived yet but i have downloaded quite abit of stuff ready for it, this thread was helpful, also i suggest looking at the VR jam forum and downloading stuff from there as well 🙂
Ordered Sep 25, 2013 . 080xxx - Arrived!

zombiexm
Honored Guest
I still cant figure out how to get games to appear on the rift and not my main monitor other two disabled.

drash
Heroic Explorer
"zombiexm" wrote:
I still cant figure out how to get games to appear on the rift and not my main monitor other two disabled.

If you're running with your desktop extended onto your Rift, games made with Unity will by default show up on whichever one you've chosen as the primary display. I believe you can override this by creating a shortcut to the game in question and tacking on an "-adapter N" to the command line, where N is the # of the display that corresponds to your Rift (I think 0 is primary, 1 is next display, and so on). I wonder if there is unnecessary latency when running the Rift on a non-primary display, though?

It's probably easier/better to just duplicate/clone your desktop to your Rift and not have to worry about command lines. If you're getting tearing in the Rift even with vsync on, you'll need to fiddle to get the Rift to be the "primary" / "preferred" / "clone source".
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com