cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Need RIFT essentials!

kennethffx2
Honored Guest
So, as fate would have it, my Oculus Rift will arrive Thursday October 10th 2013.
Problem: My internet is being cut off the day before, Wednesday October 9th 2013.

I'm moving to a new house and I won't have internet for 15 days after the 10th. So, not until October 25th.

So I was wondering if anyone here would help me.
What I need to know is what should I download to get me going offline?
I am very tech savvy, so just naming or linking to what I need is enough.

And other than the needed things, what are the must have things to try on the rift?

Any help is truly appreciated.
15 REPLIES 15

zombiexm
Honored Guest
"drash" wrote:
"zombiexm" wrote:
I still cant figure out how to get games to appear on the rift and not my main monitor other two disabled.

If you're running with your desktop extended onto your Rift, games made with Unity will by default show up on whichever one you've chosen as the primary display. I believe you can override this by creating a shortcut to the game in question and tacking on an "-adapter N" to the command line, where N is the # of the display that corresponds to your Rift (I think 0 is primary, 1 is next display, and so on). I wonder if there is unnecessary latency when running the Rift on a non-primary display, though?

It's probably easier/better to just duplicate/clone your desktop to your Rift and not have to worry about command lines. If you're getting tearing in the Rift even with vsync on, you'll need to fiddle to get the Rift to be the "primary" / "preferred" / "clone source".

Thank you.

Do you know which one puts the tearing onto the desktop not the rift?

Clone Prime To 1 or 1 to prime?
Oh is it possible to have a higher resoultion on my monitor and keep the lower on the rift?
Kinda a drag being on a low res on both.

Can anyone link to a few good demos? Im having trouble finding good good ones :[

drash
Heroic Explorer
"zombiexm" wrote:
Do you know which one puts the tearing onto the desktop not the rift?

Clone Prime To 1 or 1 to prime?
Oh is it possible to have a higher resoultion on my monitor and keep the lower on the rift?
Kinda a drag being on a low res on both.

When I mirror/duplicate/clone my display, and my Rift is set as primary/clone source etc, then my desktop monitor will get tearing. I'm OK with this as I do all my gaming in the Rift now anyway. 🙂 But yes, that's a good way to know if you've successfully switched the primary display to the Rift in this scenario.

And yes you should be able to keep your primary display at 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 and the Rift will accept this as input. In fact, because of this, you are getting a huge boost to visual quality in the Rift if you run all your stuff at higher resolution and let the Rift automatically downscale it. I only know of one Unity demo (please correct me if I'm wrong) that has successfully made the image look good at 1280x800 (and in fact, 1920x1080 simply slows it down), and that is hypercube[vr].
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

hkoskinen
Honored Guest
"drash" wrote:
When I mirror/duplicate/clone my display, and my Rift is set as primary/clone source etc, then my desktop monitor will get tearing. I'm OK with this as I do all my gaming in the Rift now anyway. 🙂 But yes, that's a good way to know if you've successfully switched the primary display to the Rift in this scenario.

Maybe this is a silly question, but could you give some tips how to set the Rift as the primary display when the "duplicate screens" mode is on in Windows? I only seem to be able to set primary/secondary screens when using the Rift in extended mode. 🙂

tazer5150
Honored Guest
would a MSI AMD Radeon HD 7750 2GB GDDR3 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card R7750-PMD2GD3 be a good gpu to
use with the rift I have a 6670 right now

Frito
Explorer
"tazer5150" wrote:
would a MSI AMD Radeon HD 7750 2GB GDDR3 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card R7750-PMD2GD3 be a good gpu to
use with the rift I have a 6670 right now

6670 would work OK too
Backer "Have faith." -Palmer Luckey

drash
Heroic Explorer
"hkoskinen" wrote:
"drash" wrote:

Maybe this is a silly question, but could you give some tips how to set the Rift as the primary display when the "duplicate screens" mode is on in Windows? I only seem to be able to set primary/secondary screens when using the Rift in extended mode. 🙂

Not a silly question at all! I described this in more detail in another post here.
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com