cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Is Building a 'Next-Gen' VR Headset with Valve and Microsoft

wanoennogs
Heroic Explorer
Seeing as Oculus doesn't appear to be working on a next-gen PC headset I think this is great news.

17 REPLIES 17

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
This is cool, since currently nobody has made a true next gen VR Headset. I do agree with the statement in that article that the Reverb currently holds the standard when it comes to assessing the HMD in isolation. The Reverb is quickly become the widely accepted "best VR HMD."

That being said, I do believe that the overall gold standard for a VR KIT, and overall VR Experience, belongs to any HMD that provides:
  • Tetherless Roomscale
  • Controller-less Hand-Tracking
Currently, Oculus is the only Vendor offering this. Albeit experimental with the Controller-less Hand-Tracking in its current state.

So... I hope that this new HMD being worked on by the group builds upon the features found in Quest and Rift-S.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
5clq72dwbf1i.png

The HP Reverb has become the de facto replacement to the CV1 in many Enterprise developers and researchers minds. The surprise suspension of the CV1 in favor of the Rift-S came to many institutions without warning, and to be frank the design features of the Reverb have been more acceptable than the Lenovo platform, (no matter the reasoning behind the comprises made). 

Many of us were surprised how much the Reverb represented what we would have envisaged a Rift 1.2 would have looked and operated like, if the original management had survived, (their similarity reflected in the image above) Though the limitations of the tracking and the controllers to live up to the high benchmarks of the CV1 have been the only main issues to dampen the response to the HP platform. 

That the tracking, controllers and software portal issues are now to be addressed with the Reverb G2, places this system on a high interest rate for many in our sector, especially considering the level of support that HP has given B2B compared to others. Also with the "issues" surrounding what HTC's actual plans with the Cosmos Elite - the Reverb G2 offers a strong fall back against the high price and limited supply of the Valve Index (and now includes Valve support).

It feels as if the news of the Reverb G2 could be the only chance the PCVR scene may see for a real CV2 solution any time soon?
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

"That the tracking, controllers and software portal issues are now to be addressed with the Reverb G2,"

That remains to be seen.  From the short video i saw it looked like there were 2 cameras on the front which isn't ideal.  Do we have any more information on tracking?
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

pyroth309
Visionary
Yea if this has better tracking than 2 camera WMR I'm excited. I'd love to see Microsoft advance their WMR tech to be closer to or better than Insight which has been much better. I know Microsoft isn't making any money with their VR headsets though and it's probably why we haven't seen a follow up yet.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

pyroth309 said:

Yea if this has better tracking than 2 camera WMR I'm excited. I'd love to see Microsoft advance their WMR tech to be closer to or better than Insight which has been much better. I know Microsoft isn't making any money with their VR headsets though and it's probably why we haven't seen a follow up yet.

While MS may not have seen major success, the platform had some winners - along with HP, Samsung saw a good take up for their Odyssey and Odyssey+ headsets, the majority of sales on those platforms (with Acer and Lenovo following behind). The thing to remember about the WMR platform was it was a development environment, as MS hoped to establish a architecture - for them it was a long game play. That future headsets from HP, HTC and Lenovo still incorporate elements of WMR is a win in their minds against the cul-de-sac that the CV1 found itself in. 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable
I will take the Oculus cul-de-sac any day over WMR and Steam VR. So many issues I see reported across various forums with the latter.

pyroth309
Visionary
Never had any problems with SteamVR personally (With Non-Oculus HMD's anyway, or at least nothing more than I've had with Home) and it has some nice features that I like that Home doesn't. Both work great for me and I'm open to headsets on either. I'm already using a WMR headset and SteamVR with the Odyssey so yea.

If Oculus puts out a true CV2 I'll be hard pressed not to buy it. I think more likely we'll get a Quest 2 though. That may not be a bad thing if they improve the link functionality.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

pyroth309 said:

I think it was also mentioned that the HP Reverb G2, might also use Valves Base stations. Not sure if I'm right about that but I thought I read it somewhere. So using inside out tracking or having an option to use Valves base stations would be a dream come true. I'm already loving my HP Reverb, so this is great news. 

Oculus need to announce something soon to keep me interested.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

dburne said:

I will take the Oculus cul-de-sac any day over WMR and Steam VR. So many issues I see reported across various forums with the latter.

Problem is Oculus haven't announced anything new in the making yet, so you will be stuck with what you've got for how long?