cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Reverb First Impressions Thread (Gen 1)

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Some very quick first impressions and that's without experimenting with Super-sampling.

Ok, well I have that horrible vertical line in my headset which hopefully I'll get fixed or replaced but despite that. Wow, just wow. One word..."clarity".

More words.

Very nice headset all-round. Reasonably comfy but that cable is awful. I mean really bad and terribly distracting. Needs to be fixed to something to not become a hindrance. Headphones feel cheap  and the red smear is not very good when you abnormally move your head from side to side all fast like. In normal situations you won't notice it so much. SDE is so minimal it's the finest mesh like silk. Mura is there for sure such as looking at the sky you will notice it quite a bit.

Fallout 4 VR - Holy crap. Now this is how it's meant to be seen. Mindblowing, and I rarely use such hyperbolic phrases. Up close detail you'll see the textures as you would playing on a monitor. Distance details are just perfect now. NO MORE BLUR you can easily define medium range and long range objects which gives the game a complete overhaul on the visuals. Wonderful and if you're a FO4VR fan then nothing beats this crisp display.  Period. 

PCARS 2 - Ok I struggled a little to find the right sweetspot and keep it there. But once there this is it guys. The game just looks like it's meant to be on this headset. Nice details on the track and close up cars. Distant cars also look much better, they still can get fuzzy but none of that blur you might be used to. This is pretty awesome now and just looks great.

SLR APP/Movie viewing - Nice sharp visuals but you are restricted to the quality of the source material. The SLR thumbnails look fantastically crisp and the videos great. I ran a 4K gameplay video from one of my recordings and it looks really nice, so much clearer than any other VR headset. So if you have 4K movies then they are going to shine on this headset. I tried some older 1080p 3D movies but they didn't look much different to other headsets.

Desktop - wow now this is really nice. You can actually work with this now. Comfortably. See all the text and no shimmer or SDE to mess up your view. Really workable as an alternative to a monitor now. Nice vibrant colours and good contrast. I do notice what seems to be a fixed foveted rendering technique though where the center focus is incredibly sharp and when you move your eyes and head to another part of the screen it seems to catch up and then focus really sharp.I think HP talked about this with the way the screens are calibrated. 

Elite Dangerous: OK you're still getting these LCD blacks but the text readability is fantastic now without a shadow of a doubt. No distorted letters even in the info pane which has the smallest text it's easy to read, no leaning in. I just docked with one of the space stations and whilst there is still some shimmer on some finer lines/edges (there's a technical name for that which escapes me) it's nice a crisp and looks like a space station rather than a blurry mess of lights and protracting parts. Really clean. Upon entering the opening into the docking area...mind-blown! I really loved the extended FOV of the Pimax 8K in Elite D, made it feel more real, but I think I would sacrifice that for this wonderful clarity. I'll say it again if Pimax 8K X delivers the FOV and the same clarity then wowsers. I'm not holding my breath though, focusing on the here and now.

Even with the negatives, I can see this being a really great headset for the VR connoisseur. I am wondering how close the Pimax 8KX can match this as its increased FOV will stretch the pixel density. Either way, £600 well spent thus far and I will no doubt get lots of use from this headset and sadly the Pimax 8K will get boxed. Quest/Reverb combo for the win here for anyone serious about VR.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
376 REPLIES 376

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Probably will order one next week if they remain in stock.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Do you get a 2 year warranty on this headset? I thought you did, but I read somewhere it's a 1 year warranty? Or is it only 1 year outside of Europe and 2 years in Europe?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I have a really important thing you need to do otherwise the colors
on your HP Reverb will look washed out and too white. I noticed my cockpit
in the A10C looked really washed out and I couldn't really see the
gauges properly, but this also happens in other games. Follow this guide to disable fast windows
start and it fixes the colour in the HP Reverb and makes it look like it should. Especially make sure to
follow section 6 and click on the "change settings that are unavailable".
Then you will be able to untick what you need to untick in the link I've provided. I can believe
this fixes the washed out look in the cockpits and other washed out
whites in games. You would think HP would tell you to do this, but we
have to find these things out ourselves. 🙂

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

kojack
MVP
MVP
That's pretty bizarre. Why would a faster boot affect colours?

Disabling fast start is a good thing for other reasons though. If you dual boot, every time you swap operating systems there's a chance of fast boot corrupting your drives. You'll possibly lose any recently changed files. I've had this happen multiple times, until I found out that fast start is a well known culprit.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Ya, I disabled fast start and hibernation a long time ago.  This has improved the stability of everthing, esp. Oculus VR.  Not sure why it would effect colours.  Maybe a full shutdown improves the windows colour calibration?

I see that the Reverb is now available to purchase from the HP store in Australia.  Costs aud$999 and 15 business days shipping (direct from factory).  I might give this some more consideration but just the thought of going back to Windows Mixed Reality makes me cringe, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

kojack said:

That's pretty bizarre. Why would a faster boot affect colours?

Disabling fast start is a good thing for other reasons though. If you dual boot, every time you swap operating systems there's a chance of fast boot corrupting your drives. You'll possibly lose any recently changed files. I've had this happen multiple times, until I found out that fast start is a well known culprit.

Not really sure why it worked, I saw it on a Reddit post. All I know is that my A10C cockpit in DCS looked to light to read the gauges properly, but after doing this the cockpit looked fine.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

THANKS FOR CHOOSING HP

Order number - SCEO16######
Order date13/09/2019
Estimated Delivery Date17/09/2019

Here we go again. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the Index. I'll finally be able to do a proper side by side comparison.

B) 

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I had a good solid 4 hours in it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. DCS Is a joy and downloaded Fallout 4 VR to try tonight. Looking forward to your 2nd review mate 🙂
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Techy111 said:

I had a good solid 4 hours in it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. DCS Is a joy and downloaded Fallout 4 VR to try tonight. Looking forward to your 2nd review mate 🙂

How was performance in DCS and what kind of graphics settings did you run?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Like the cosmos thread why do we need 2x Reverb threads?
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers