cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Reverb G2 Available Pre-orders UP - November Release Date Confirmed

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Just ordered mine the price is £525 including VAT & Shipping to UK. 

https://systemactive.co.uk/online/hp-reverb-g2/

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
1,930 REPLIES 1,930

maxpare79
Trustee

As a PC enthusiast myself, I just can't justify an Index (even though I can afford it) when Gen2 is so close (from whom ever). I surely can wait longer (been waiting for an eternity in technological terms), but the G2 will most likely be my next HMD until Gen2. Unfortunately, my wait may be longer due to living in Canada. I'm assuming I'll actually get the next top tier Ti before this is released in Canada or is available and not out of stock...by the sounds of it....

I am in Canada and ordered one through wantboard.ca and you can get a full refund if you cancel before it ships. It ended up costing me 1053$ all included. Not too bad, because I am pretty sure that the base price will be around 900ish plus tax with it comes through the official channels (G1 is on sale at 800$ here). The G2 is not on their website but you can contact them through messenger and they will order one for you.

And I was a bit worry about the warranty since I buy it in the US. But Voodooimax the HP rep on reddit told me it's not an issue, HP.ca will honor my warranty.

The G1 arrived in Canada 7 months later then the US
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star

maxpare79 said:

As a PC enthusiast myself, I just can't justify an Index (even though I can afford it) when Gen2 is so close (from whom ever). I surely can wait longer (been waiting for an eternity in technological terms), but the G2 will most likely be my next HMD until Gen2. Unfortunately, my wait may be longer due to living in Canada. I'm assuming I'll actually get the next top tier Ti before this is released in Canada or is available and not out of stock...by the sounds of it....

I am in Canada and ordered one through wantboard.ca and you can get a full refund if you cancel before it ships. It ended up costing me 1053$ all included. Not too bad, because I am pretty sure that the base price will be around 900ish plus tax with it comes through the official channels (G1 is on sale at 800$ here). The G2 is not on their website but you can contact them through messenger and they will order one for you.

And I was a bit worry about the warranty since I buy it in the US. But Voodooimax the HP rep on reddit told me it's not an issue, HP.ca will honor my warranty.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm having a feeling the wait is going to be long for Canada...

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

Anonymous
Not applicable

maxpare79 said:

I have decided to become an HMD smuggler. I'm going to buy cheaper HMDs in the States, stick them in condoms and swallow them. Travel to Canada and let nature take its course.

Instant profit.

???

Anonymous
Not applicable

kojack said:

OmegaM4N said:

or they just stick a camera on the controllers

Yep, Antilatency did that, they add cameras to everything to make them all inside out.
Technically, Touch and WMR controllers are outside in tracking, since they don't track themselves, they are tracked by an external sensor (the headset).
Having cameras on the controllers would mean minimal body occlusion issues.

Of course they would still need constellation tracking to occasionally sync the coordinate systems. Or have fixed references in the environment (fiducial markers, etc) that are easy and reliable to recognise.

coughcoiughthoughtyousaidthiswasnotpossiblecough

Everyone loves to say my ideas dont work until someone elses does them:P Actually, to get around most of those issue it would be better to move to electromagnetic tracking + current tracking methods. Mix of full tracking even if its not in line of sight (it wont be as accurate and as fast) but corrected for speed and performance when it is. Still perfect for small around the back or hip shooting. Future versions could also track "markers" for the rest of the body as well using a different electromagnetic strap. The only problem would be its a bit bulky and heavy for the trade off - but best of both worlds. Cameras on the controllers would be lighter and a bit more accurate with speed but would drain the batter more and would move us away from replaceable to static batteries. They also would still have some limitation in terms of they still would need "enough" sight to the room and not block by anything.

As for tracking - correct - they would pick an "object" in the room that the headset knows the place location that would help "place" the tracking data from the controllers as well. They all take point data to recreate the same room so it should be possible in software to account for the differences and still using the headset as the "base" level.

One thing I dont like about the new controllers, at least from Oculus and going to assume these as well, is they're top heavy vs bottom heavy like the CV1s. I rather it be bottom heavy than top heavy personally. CV1 controllers were perfect all the way around.

kojack
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:

kojack said:

OmegaM4N said:

Yep, Antilatency did that, they add cameras to everything to make them all inside out.
Technically, Touch and WMR controllers are outside in tracking, since they don't track themselves, they are tracked by an external sensor (the headset).

Of course they would still need constellation tracking to occasionally sync the coordinate systems. Or have fixed references in the environment (fiducial markers, etc) that are easy and reliable to recognise.

coughcoiughthoughtyousaidthiswasnotpossiblecough

When did I say that? I've been talking about Antilatency on here since 2017 and how they use tiny wireless cameras mounted on everything from headsets to hand trackers.
If it wasn't for their excessive cost for the floor markers, I would have bought their stuff to use at work for larger than room scale multi-user experiences. (They charge $250 for each 4.2m x 2.4x area of floor. I wanted to fill a loading dock with them)

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

falken76
Expert Consultant
I preordered mine too.  Internet tax really sucks, I got spoiled shopping online the last 25 years....

snowdog said:

kevinw729 said:

Splinters up the "jacksy" must be painful @Mradr 🙂

But seriously, its not really a matter of "...if Oculus is going to play the waiting game..." its a matter more of how long this will last before a definitive position. Now with Lenovo moving on to other pastures with their PC VR aspirations. The wait will be on a Half-Dome4  inspired design coming out before 2023. We have been here before with the wait for the update to the CV1 that went from 2016 to 2019 - and then be far less than was expected. Placing those that waited in a incredibly difficult position - many of which who were regular posters at this forum have moved on to support HTC or HP... or even Pimax!

Hopefully with the next Oculus headset we will see an amazing leap forward in certain features, and we all hope that the lessons learned from Rift-S and Quest, as well as whatever is felt applicable from Half-Domes' considerable development will manifest itself - but I think we know that those stating 2022 for a PC VR headset, do not have the best batting average based on past record!

Actually my batting average is better than most. I originally said that the CV2 was going to be released in 2019, then changed my mind to 2020. Now that Oculus have released the Rift S in 2019 it points to a three year lifespan for their products. So my 2022 prediction for the Rift 2 holds more water.

And those predicting that Oculus will ONLY be releasing standalone headsets from now on aren't thinking too clearly, because if they do that then it will mean either dropping the strongest brand in the business, the Rift product line or dropping what has now become a strong brand, the Quest product line.

And only producing a standalone/hybrid headset will also mean that the new Quest/Rift headset (depending on which strong brand they decide to throw in the bin) won't have the new features that they've been showcasing in every Oculus Connect for the last few years due to the need to have mobile phone hardware and the cooling associated with that hardware inside the headset. And the fact that the Half Dome prototype has ALL of the features of Abrash's ideal VR headet only reinforces my theory that Oculus will continue to release standalone and PC VR headsets.

The Quest will be the both of best worlds - a standalone headset at a cheap price that will allow owners to also play PC VR titles and the Rift 2 will be the leading PC VR headset in new technology available at (probably) a £100 more expensive price point.

Now NSS COULD mean that there'll be no need for eye tracking and foveated rendering, and mean that there'll be no need for the Half Dome prototype, but that will ALSO mean that the Rift 2 won't be able to have the varifocal feature which will greatly increase presence.

It's more likely that they will continue to release separate standalone headsets and PC VR headsets for the reasons I've given.

I'm not waiting around for them anylonger, I bought this HP headset.  That being said, I think brand loyalty is stupid, so if Oculus finally releases their Rift 2, I'll take a look and see if it's good enough to convince me to get it.  Competition forces everyone to strive to make better products.  I'm just glad this genre has competition to drive it forward now.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

vannagirl said:

Pretty hard to resist this HMD tbh, i am coming from a CV1 which i still really love, it just always works and for some reason i think i have become use to screen door i really do not notice anymore. 

I'd consider it a blessing not seeing the SDE, worked for me the first year or so after getting my CV1, lol. Now I see it very clearly. When you get a high-res lcd hmd, you may find it much harder still using the CV1 - but you may still need the CV1 because you can't necessarily Revive all your Oculus games, and some will have bad performance using Revive due to no support for ASW 2.0. I've found that it's easier to use the CV1 if I have not used the Index for some days, it takes some time to re-habituate, lol. 

For now I would not recommend completely getting rid of your CV1 if it still works flawlessly. I'm using the Index as a supplement, not a replacement for the CV1. I'd be sad not having an oled hmd available for several reasons. 

If you don't see the CV1 SDE, it might be worth waiting some more time to see what kind of surprises Oculus may unveil in a few months. 2c. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

kojack said:

OmegaM4N said:

OmegaM4N said:

or.........and hear me out here before you shut me down, some sort of external tracking device that would track the HMD and controllers within a roomscae type enviromant. 😛

I think you might be on to something there.

Damn i really need a new keyboard, so many typing errors that you don't see until you go back to see your post quoted, damn these aging hands and eyes, damn them to hell. lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
This is just great all you people coming over to the HP dark-side. Once Zenbane turns then it's game-over Oculus.

>:) 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

This is just great all you people coming over to the HP dark-side. Once Zenbane turns then it's game-over Oculus.

>:) 

You underestimate Zenbane  B) 

https://youtu.be/SeYgMYijdz4

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"