cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Reverb G2 Available Pre-orders UP - November Release Date Confirmed

Shadowmask72
Level 15
Just ordered mine the price is £525 including VAT & Shipping to UK. 

https://systemactive.co.uk/online/hp-reverb-g2/

System Specs: ASUS NVIDIA RTX 3090 TUF GAMING OC 24GB , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
1,930 REPLIES 1,930

RuneSR2
Level 15

pyroth309 said:

RuneSR2 said:

pyroth309 said:

Bad news on the Revive front, just ran into a game I couldn't get playable to an acceptable degree. (Acceptable to me) I just spent the last hour trying to get Stormland playable and no matter what I couldn't eliminate the slight HMD lag when turning the head. Performance of the game is definitely much worse than with an Oculus HMD. I also had to go down to 60% SS to stay above 90 FPS with a 3090 as Motion Smoothing just made the occasional stuttering I was getting in addition to the HMD lag much worse.

I was able to get it playable on an Odyssey+ with mediumish settings to an acceptable degree but Reverb just requires too much power I think.

I think it's playable, just not good enough for me as I have Quest link option and access to a Quest 2. I'd rather just play it on that with everything on Ultra I think. First game so far that I've felt that way.

I'm going to do some more research on it and circle back to this game, maybe will try half resolution and see what happens. For now, I'm moving on to something else. If anyone has any tips or tricks to get it running better, I'd love to hear em.

The game was made for CV1, Quest 1 with TAA may be the optimal solution. No matter the res, I got blurry image quality or tons of jaggies with Index. CV1 ss 2.0 just looks amazing (devs chose colors greatly reducing CV1 SDE), but I'm depending on ASW 2.0. With Quest and 3090 you should be getting solid 72 fps will all settings maxed.

I didn't have any complaints with the Visuals. I thought they looked good to me from the area I'm in. Very little aliasing and I had it on TAA with minimal blurring. Looked better than from what I remember when experimenting with my Quest 1 with Link. Performance just sucks since can't use motion smoothing at all. Even when I went down to 40% SS and high settings, it was fully playable but I could just still feel the lag in the head turn. It was like playing on 200ms input lag or something. Camera was just behind my real movements. At 40% tho, picture quality was suffering from the resolution reduction. Lot of blur so not a good solution to me. Too spoiled by the crisp lol.

I finally tried Gloomy Eyes and yea, this game definitely shows off the black
shortcomings. While I don't see them as Gray they
aren't jet black. More of black with a gray hint. I don't think it looks bad it's just not as good as pure black OLED headsets.

Just a longshot, but using low details, I did get 90 fps with the Index using Revive 1.9.2 in Stormland (at least the location I tested, but only tested the game shortly) - you could try if another version of Revive provides better performance. 

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Nij
Level 5
So my headset just randomly turned up this Saturday morning just gone, at 9am, I was in bed ,
wasn't due till the 10th from system active, no tracking or
notifications or anything, I'd ordered around mid September, so this was a very nice surpirse

So spent Saturday night setting it up, didn't have any major
issues really, had to try a few different usb ports before it recognised
it, then setup went smoothly.  Setting your boundary is a bit of a
nightmare but got a pretty good play space, configured all my WMR and
steam vr settings and gotta say it looks absolutely awesome.  Had steam vr
resolution at 100% for alyx looks stunning on high fidelity, not bad
for my 1080ti. 

So first impressions, visual quality is awesome compared
to my rift s, comfort is great too, pushed it to my face and angled it
up a bit and fov definately seemed better too, could hardly see the edges.  Controllers and tracking aren't the best as others have said but I'll
get used to it, I guess.  Only big let down for me though even the audio is
brilliant, sounded great and felt like the sound was in the room with me, it just wasn't loud enough, felt like the volume was at half, had
all my volume settings on full.  I watched the video that @RedRizla posted about the volume equalisation and think this made it a bit louder but not a massive improvement really.  It shows on my sound output as 'speakers (Realtek USB2.0 Audio) but it is plugged into a usb 3 port and I think realtek is the built in sound on my motherboard but I actually have a sound blaster z sound card installed but not sure if that makes a difference as would of theought the sound would be handled by the headset (sorry if that sounds dumb), I have tried different usb's also

Big thing for me getting this headset was also for the audio, so I
really don't want to go back to using in earphones, don't think it's me being picky as I know some users have said the sound is too loud and they've had to turn it down, so really hope it's something I can resolve, I remember the volume on my logitech headset didn't really seem loud enough neither, awesome headset
though anyway

Headsets: DK1 Kickstarter edition, DK2, Rift CV!, Oculus Go, Rift S, HP Reverb G2 System: i7-8086K, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz, 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

dburne
Level 15

Nij said:

So my headset just randomly turned up this Saturday morning just gone, at 9am, I was in bed ,
wasn't due till the 10th from system active, no tracking or
notifications or anything, I'd ordered around mid September, so this was a very nice surpirse

So spent Saturday night setting it up, didn't have any major
issues really, had to try a few different usb ports before it recognised
it, then setup went smoothly.  Setting your boundary is a bit of a
nightmare but got a pretty good play space, configured all my WMR and
steam vr settings and gotta say it looks absolutely awesome.  Had steam vr
resolution at 100% for alyx looks stunning on high fidelity, not bad
for my 1080ti. 

So first impressions, visual quality is awesome compared
to my rift s, comfort is great too, pushed it to my face and angled it
up a bit and fov definately seemed better too, could hardly see the edges.  Controllers and tracking aren't the best as others have said but I'll
get used to it, I guess.  Only big let down for me though even the audio is
brilliant, sounded great and felt like the sound was in the room with me, it just wasn't loud enough, felt like the volume was at half, had
all my volume settings on full.  I watched the video that @RedRizla posted about the volume equalisation and think this made it a bit louder but not a massive improvement really.  It shows on my sound output as 'speakers (Realtek USB2.0 Audio) but it is plugged into a usb 3 port and I think realtek is the built in sound on my motherboard but I actually have a sound blaster z sound card installed but not sure if that makes a difference as would of theought the sound would be handled by the headset (sorry if that sounds dumb), I have tried different usb's also

really don't want to go back to using in earphones, don't think it's me being picky as I know some users have said the sound is too loud and they've had to turn it down, so really hope it's something I can resolve, I remember the volume on my logitech headset didn't really seem loud enough neither, awesome headset
though anyway

I had the exact same experience with the built in audio, just was too quiet for my tastes.
I ended up getting earbuds and plugging them in to my PC onboard Creative Sound. Problem solved.
I took the headphones off the headset and disabled the G2 audio in WMR.
Rift CV1| Rift S| Quest| Reverb G2| Index| Vive Pro 2

pyroth309
Level 14

Nij said:
though anyway

Hmm. Mine is quite loud and I'm half deaf from blasting metal into my eardrums at loud volume for 30 years lol. I run it about 80% and still have some volume in reserve and that gives me quite a loud sound.

I have a realtek chip board as well and it showing up as Realtek USB 2.0 Audio is likely correct. If you have a soundblaster add on board, that one is probably only supplying sound to 3.5mm jacks or other cables plugged into it.

Another thing you can try is make sure it's down around the ball/occiptal lobe on back of your head so the speakers are directly over your ears. Also you can pull down on the speakers and move them over your ears. I'd reinstall realtek drivers too. I'd reseat the speakers too to make sure they have a good connection with the pins.

If none of that worked, I'd submit a ticket with HP and see if there's a solution to getting more volume out of it.

Nij
Level 5
@dburne

Just spent a bit more time with it and I'm going to try and get used to it, just think I've been spoilt with being able to have it really loud but I may go down the same route as you, if I'm not happy with it

@pyroth309

I've played around moving the headphones round and the headset seems to be positioned right so think I've got it in the right place and I did take the speakers out and reconnect them to be on the safe side, i'll reinstall the drivers actually that's a good idea and maybe contact HP to see if they have any suggestions, although now might not be a good time to contact them haha

I'm seriously loving the visuals though, definately feeling a lot more immersed in what I've played so far

Cheers

Headsets: DK1 Kickstarter edition, DK2, Rift CV!, Oculus Go, Rift S, HP Reverb G2 System: i7-8086K, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz, 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

pyroth309
Level 14

Nij said:

@dburne

Just spent a bit more time with it and I'm going to try and get used to it, just think I've been spoilt with being able to have it really loud but I may go down the same route as you, if I'm not happy with it

@pyroth309

I've played around moving the headphones round and the headset seems to be positioned right so think I've got it in the right place and I did take the speakers out and reconnect them to be on the safe side, i'll reinstall the drivers actually that's a good idea and maybe contact HP to see if they have any suggestions, although now might not be a good time to contact them haha

I'm seriously loving the visuals though, definately feeling a lot more immersed in what I've played so far

Cheers

Yea I suspect it's a USB or driver issue especially since yours isn't working in half of the USB ports. Index volume varied wildly too for people and it's the same speakers. The Index I received had the same exact symptoms you and dburne have. I could not get a good volume out of them no matter what. The Reverb G2 I got,, which is on a different motherboard mind you, would be considered too loud for most people at 80%. It's a full loud sound. You might also try uninstalling realtek drivers and using windows default driver for it.

This guy has the same thoughts as me lol -

[–]VRiggity 2 points 5 days ago 

Odd
how it varies. Anything over 50% is crazy loud for me. And I was a
touring musician for 20 years in loud bands, so I’m not Mr. Sensitive
Ears.

Maybe it's not getting enough power out of the USB or something.

I just found this thread on reddit and there's a solution there but be careful if you try it. You could blow the speaker if you add too much gain.

An old Index thread that solved it by removing the nvidia pregain as well - again be careful if you try this but it will fix it.

PhoenixSpyder
Level 8
I stumbled upon this today when it popped up on facebook news for HP G2 stuff.

I checked my system just now and had 6 virtual monitors running in the background when WMR started up to run with SteamVR and the G2. I'm about to disable this myself presently

I suggest anyone using the G2 or WMR device follow the steps to get things properly running on your system or to see if you also have this issue.

Cheers!!!

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

pyroth309
Level 14
 Nice, I don't use OVR or windows in VR but I see the 40% usage when I'm in Cliff house. Fortunately for me, as soon as I launch SteamVR and go into a game it's only using 3%. I think cliffhouse just has multiple windows open due to the video player and all that. Like everything else with windows, probably a bug that's not closing it out for some people. Doesn't make any difference to me after just trying it with a 3090 but again, I don't use windows in VR.

fishhunt
Level 5
I had the reverb g2 I had to send it back I was getting headache  after 20 mins because of the face plate was pressing against my temples .visuals very good some games not as good as others for visuals i like to play onward visuals 
look about same as quest 2. other games look great in the headset  like half life alyx others not. in future they will make better games to look better in the headset, it seems. software 
developers seems to make games to work with all headsets so visuals not as good in g2

pyroth309
Level 14

RuneSR2 said:

pyroth309 said:

RuneSR2 said:

pyroth309 said:

Bad news on the Revive front, just ran into a game I couldn't get playable to an acceptable degree. (Acceptable to me) I just spent the last hour trying to get Stormland playable and no matter what I couldn't eliminate the slight HMD lag when turning the head. Performance of the game is definitely much worse than with an Oculus HMD. I also had to go down to 60% SS to stay above 90 FPS with a 3090 as Motion Smoothing just made the occasional stuttering I was getting in addition to the HMD lag much worse.

I was able to get it playable on an Odyssey+ with mediumish settings to an acceptable degree but Reverb just requires too much power I think.

I think it's playable, just not good enough for me as I have Quest link option and access to a Quest 2. I'd rather just play it on that with everything on Ultra I think. First game so far that I've felt that way.

I'm going to do some more research on it and circle back to this game, maybe will try half resolution and see what happens. For now, I'm moving on to something else. If anyone has any tips or tricks to get it running better, I'd love to hear em.

The game was made for CV1, Quest 1 with TAA may be the optimal solution. No matter the res, I got blurry image quality or tons of jaggies with Index. CV1 ss 2.0 just looks amazing (devs chose colors greatly reducing CV1 SDE), but I'm depending on ASW 2.0. With Quest and 3090 you should be getting solid 72 fps will all settings maxed.

I didn't have any complaints with the Visuals. I thought they looked good to me from the area I'm in. Very little aliasing and I had it on TAA with minimal blurring. Looked better than from what I remember when experimenting with my Quest 1 with Link. Performance just sucks since can't use motion smoothing at all. Even when I went down to 40% SS and high settings, it was fully playable but I could just still feel the lag in the head turn. It was like playing on 200ms input lag or something. Camera was just behind my real movements. At 40% tho, picture quality was suffering from the resolution reduction. Lot of blur so not a good solution to me. Too spoiled by the crisp lol.

I finally tried Gloomy Eyes and yea, this game definitely shows off the black
shortcomings. While I don't see them as Gray they
aren't jet black. More of black with a gray hint. I don't think it looks bad it's just not as good as pure black OLED headsets.

Just a longshot, but using low details, I did get 90 fps with the Index using Revive 1.9.2 in Stormland (at least the location I tested, but only tested the game shortly) - you could try if another version of Revive provides better performance. 

Meant to reply to this, Yea I tried the latest beta build, the current release build from june or july and the one before that. I just went and tried 1.9.2 and it's about the same. Maybe slightly better? It's playable on all of them on High settings with around 60% resolution with shadows and clouds off. If you turn your head slowly you can't notice the lag but it's the quick whips. I tend to turn my head over my eyes naturally so quick spins I really feel the latency. It may just be a WMR issue.
As I mentioned, it's playable like this but since I have access to a Quest 2, I will likely just play it on that with everything cranked up to 11 when I finally get around to it. Though the color tradeoff in stormland is going to hurt. Quest 2 colors are a step down.