cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Reverb G2 Available Pre-orders UP - November Release Date Confirmed

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Just ordered mine the price is £525 including VAT & Shipping to UK. 

https://systemactive.co.uk/online/hp-reverb-g2/

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
1,930 REPLIES 1,930

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

TomCgcmfc said:

Mam, I hate to tell you guys how good Alyx looks and plays with my oled Vive Pro (w/Etsy Gear VR lens mod) and new Index controllers, lol!

Personally, I've never found SteamVR motion smoothing to work as well as Oculus ASW 2.0.  Both seemed to work a little better with my Quest 2 (now returned for refund) and I think this was maybe due to its faster lcd's.  Maybe the same with G2's lcd's?

Try Paper Beast just for reference - using Index I'd swear motion smoothing is at least as perfect as ASW 2.0. But I'm using native Valve drivers for the Index, but Vive Pro is much the same? 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Nij
Heroic Explorer

pyroth309 said:

Yea I'm steady at 100% minimum in my G2 and it's been phenominal. Easily the 2nd best overall VR experiences I've ever had and easily the best Visual. Only being surpassed by the original CV1 from 2016-2018 imo which is obsolete nowadays. I don't get immersed in anything like i did in the early days, even on a CV1. But with G2, I feel immersion again close to that and more than any other headset at this point.

I don't have as many hours as you yet but I'm at least 50 by now. Mostly in Rift games funny enough lol. Stormland is the only game so far I've had to drop it below 100. I'm about to go visit Liv in the next week or 2 though in Lone Echo and likely going to complete that game again if I don't run into any issues. Will be interesting to see if I can hold 100% in there.

I've had mine just under a week now and have only had a few hours a night on it but have spent most nights messing around with steam VR/WMR settings and trying to increae my audio levels (which is definately better now i'm using equaliser APO)

Totally agree, the visuals  are just stunning and I haven't felt immersion like this for a while as what I have played has been awesome, most things I've tried I've been able to leave it at 100%
even on my 1080ti but think using the per application setting for each game is going to be the way forward

installed revive last night aswell, played affected first and the sound and visuals were so much more immersive, most of the game is dark but whilst the blacks weren't perfect and wasn't as good as OLED was certainly better blacks then the rift s, fired up robo recall aswell and this just looked soo good

Also had a quick look at a certain VR paradise game on steam, just for research purposes of course and this looked soo good, for a minute I thought I was getting a real dance

Quick question on motion smoothing, I know this helps smooth out refresh rates but by enabling it what are the downsides, does it decrease resolution

Headsets: DK1 Kickstarter edition, DK2, Rift CV!, Oculus Go, Rift S, HP Reverb G2 System: i7-8086K, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz, 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

pyroth309
Visionary

To answer your question about motion smoothing, basically it's guessing where you're going to be and generating a frame based on estimates. It requires less power to do. You don't lose any resolution but it has other downsides. It can feel jerky when it switches on and off as well as cause artifacting. Oculus had a good video when they showed off 2.0 that shows some artifacting that can occur.

In addition to that, hand movement usually looks a bit jerky and not smooth. The degree of the downsides that you actually notice varies game to game though. Some games it's hard to tell you're in reprojection. Others it's hard to ignore lol.

On another note, I jumped into Star Wars Squadrons for the first time this
morning and i was quite impressed. It was eve valkyrie all over again
(first cockpit game I ever played and it floored me). When I got put
inside of the tie fighter I was like whoaaaaa I'm actually in this damn
thing. Then again when I got into the X-wing I had another with the increased visibility. The environments are
really sick looking in the G2 and everything is so sharp and clear all the way out into the distance. I
did spend a lot of time modifying my config file though to get
everything playable. The damn game kept enabling HDR when VR headsets
don't support HDR. It was making the colors dark and awful. Had to turn
it off in the file.

Nij
Heroic Explorer
Yeah was reading up on it on the steam vr page too but it didn't really mention the downsides, guess it's just trying different settings on every game as some seem to be fine on 100% and others need 50%, feel like i'm in a testing phase at the minute rather than enjoying my games lol

I picked up star wars in the black friday sale but haven't installed it yet, waiting to get a hotas before I play it, absolutely loved eve valkyrie and can't wait to play star wars, thanks for the HDR heads up, I'll remember that when I fire it up

I'm gonna set up my racing chair and wheel at weekend and try a bit of dirt rally 2, immersion on that should be pretty awesome.  So much to look forward too, still need to finish alyx which I saved for the g2, got star wars to play, gonna pick up medal of honour and of course ms flight sim with vr, going to have plenty to play over the holidays, happy days :):smile:
Headsets: DK1 Kickstarter edition, DK2, Rift CV!, Oculus Go, Rift S, HP Reverb G2 System: i7-8086K, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz, 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nij said:

Yeah was reading up on it on the steam vr page too but it didn't really mention the downsides, guess it's just trying different settings on every game as some seem to be fine on 100% and others need 50%, feel like i'm in a testing phase at the minute rather than enjoying my games lol

I picked up star wars in the black friday sale but haven't installed it yet, waiting to get a hotas before I play it, absolutely loved eve valkyrie and can't wait to play star wars, thanks for the HDR heads up, I'll remember that when I fire it up

I'm gonna set up my racing chair and wheel at weekend and try a bit of dirt rally 2, immersion on that should be pretty awesome.  So much to look forward too, still need to finish alyx which I saved for the g2, got star wars to play, gonna pick up medal of honour and of course ms flight sim with vr, going to have plenty to play over the holidays, happy days :):smile:

Yep I am with you there. Been thoroughly enjoying Star Wars Squadrons, which is gorgeous in the G2.
Just finished another play through with Alex in the G2, it was great as well.
Looking forward to Medal of Honor.

pyroth309
Visionary
Yea, I changed a bunch of settings but I'm still tweaking. If you want to try it out, a guy posted these that he uses with his Index at 150% resolution. Mine are a bit different but I'm still getting hitching and frame dips so I'm still tweaking. I may post mine when I'm done for my 3090 if anyone wants it. Make sure HdrEnable is 0. I personally disabled Vsync to zero and set dynamic resolution to zero to disable that. Keeps the game looking crisp. Also not sure why he set full screen refresh rate to 50. I set mine to 90 but the game is running in windowed so I don't know if it really does anything or not.

The file is in Documents\STAR WARS Squadrons\settings\ProfileOptions_profile

GstRender.AmbientOcclusion 0
GstRender.AmbientOcclusion_VR 4
GstRender.AnisotropicFilter 3
GstRender.AnisotropicFilter_VR 4
GstRender.AntiAliasingPost 0
GstRender.AntiAliasingPost_VR 1
GstRender.Brightness 0.500000
GstRender.DisplayMappingHdr10PeakLuma 0.500000
GstRender.EffectsQuality 0
GstRender.EffectsQuality_VR 2
GstRender.EnableDx12 0
GstRender.EnableDynamicResolution 0
GstRender.FieldOfView 1.000000
GstRender.FilmGrainEnable 0
GstRender.FullscreenEnabled 0
GstRender.FullscreenMode 2
GstRender.FullscreenRefreshRate 50.000000
GstRender.FullscreenScreen 0
GstRender.HdrEnable 0
GstRender.HudScaling 100.000000
GstRender.LensDistortionAllowed 0
GstRender.LightingQuality 0
GstRender.LightingQuality_VR 2
GstRender.MeshQuality 0
GstRender.MeshQuality_VR 2
GstRender.MotionBlur 0.000000
GstRender.MotionBlurEnabled 0
GstRender.MotionBlurEnabled_VR 0
GstRender.OverallGraphicsQuality 1
GstRender.OverallGraphicsQuality_VR 5
GstRender.PostProcessQuality 0
GstRender.PostProcessQuality_VR 2
GstRender.ResolutionHeight 1080
GstRender.ResolutionScale 1.000000
GstRender.ResolutionScaleVR 1.000000
GstRender.ResolutionWidth 1920
GstRender.ScreenSpaceShadows 1
GstRender.ScreenSpaceShadows_VR 2
GstRender.ShadowQuality 0
GstRender.ShadowQuality_VR 1
GstRender.SkyCelestialQuality 0
GstRender.SkyCelestialQuality_VR 0
GstRender.TemporalAASharpening 0.400000
GstRender.TextureFiltering 0
GstRender.TextureFiltering_VR 2
GstRender.VSyncEnabled 1
GstRender.VolumetricQuality 0
GstRender.VolumetricQuality_VR 0
GstRender.WindowBordersEnable 1
GstRender.uiUpscaling 0

kojack
MVP
MVP

@kojack 

Been a while since we heard from you Kojack how are you getting on now with the G2? Did you send it back?

I haven't been on here too much, my vision is a bit screwed up at the moment (diabetes medication change) so for a few weeks its been hard to read monitors, got to sit way back. Plus generally worn out from work and its summer here in Aus so VR isn't as fun.

I've barely been in VR, so the G2 hasn't gotten much use. I didn't send it back, the tracking problems match what others have said (like that video about 6 pages back). The only other thing is the mura bands, but its pretty faint and barely visible in games if I'm not looking at it. Not annoying enough to bother with the hassle of HP support and maybe not getting a replacement for quite a while.

I still haven't tried Elite Dangerous with it. My controls got wiped again (damn you Elite) and now half my throttle won't even be detected due to driver changes (Virpil dropped support for splitting throttles into 3 virtual devices and Elite can't handle more than 32 buttons per device). So I'm too pissed off to play it. I've mainly been playing Stalker Anomaly and X4 Foundation, both monitor games. 🙂

My college goes on break after next week, so I'll have more time. Especially for something I mentioned earlier in the thread, which I've got some good clues on how to do... 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Luciferous
Consultant
Sorry to hear about your vision Kojack, hope it improves soon for you.

kojack
MVP
MVP

Sorry to hear about your vision Kojack, hope it improves soon for you.

Don't worry, it comes and goes. If I haven't been acting healthy enough, my eyes alternate between near and far sighted, and not in sync with each other, for a few weeks at a time. Should be better soon.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

pyroth309
Visionary
Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR Beta has been updated to build 1.2.485. This build contains the following changes:
  • Added support for submitting frames rendered against alternate poses.

In
addition to the changes above, this build also improves or adds default
input bindings for the HP Motion Controller for the following titles:
  • Accounting+
  • ALICE VR
  • Animal Planet: Amazon Odyssey
  • A-Tech Cybernetic VR
  • Boneworks
  • Borderlands 2 VR
  • Dead Effect 2 VR
  • End Space
  • Fallout 4 VR
  • I Expect You To Die
  • Killing Floor: Incursion
  • Mortal Blitz
  • Nature Treks VR
  • Paranormal Activity: The Lost Soul
  • POPULATION: ONE
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR

Good that they're fixing the default bindings.

In case anyone is wondering wtf submitting frames rendered against alternate poses does... here you go.

[–]TymAtMSFT MSFT - SteamVR[S] 44 points 12 hours ago 

Basically
what happens is every frame the system tells the running title where
the HMD is (a pose) with the expectation that the game will render using
that pose. In some scenarios, the title can't do this for some reason. A
good example is the GTA V R.E.A.L. mod, where it only renders a single
eye per frame and tries to re-use the prior frame's pose for the other
eye. If we were to take those frames as-is, it wouldn't match what was
expected by the system and you'd likely end up feeling cross-eyed or
that the world was swimmy.

Before now, our SteamVR integration didn't support this, and so
applications that tried to do this caused errors. Now we've completed
the work to make sure we can take those additional poses and transform
the image slightly to more closely match the pose we were expecting, so
things should generally work fine now.

It's worth noting that very few titles actually do this, but now we offer the option for titles that have no choice.