Did you mean: 

HP Reverb G2 - collaboration between HP, Valve and Microsoft

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
https://youtu.be/cz9wHbOOjpw

More here - sounds big with HP working together with Valve and Microsoft:

https://uploadvr.com/hp-reverb-g2-teased/

1coeczfe0b7v.png

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

240 REPLIES 240

FieldOfVision
Heroic Explorer
For sure this one looks like a good upgrade from the last. But still... I feel there's so much hype as usual!

Latest VR game: Crazy Kung Fu
Other games: www.FieldOf.Vision

inovator
Consultant

For sure this one looks like a good upgrade from the last. But still... I feel there's so much hype as usual!

Yup that's what happened to the cosmos.i warned members to wait for cosmo reviews and dont preorder and now 8 months later some members are still waiting for cosmos to be fixed. Wait for reviews folks. Wait for it to be out for at least a month or 2. Don't pre order from them after all the burnt fingers they left in the ashes.  

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Can't tell you how many times I've said in these forums that Oculus should have produced a higher resolution VR headset. All they needed to do was add higher resolution screens to the Rift S and they could have catered for the lower end market as well as for those people who were wanting a bit more. Looks like a missed opportunity for Oculus because I can see the HP G2 selling really well.

Anyways, it's a day one purchase for me the G2 VR headset and if I don't like it I'll just return it. Having owned the HP Reverb I can safely say I won't be disappointed in  the visuals though. I'm still loving my HP Reverb and I trust the tracking will be fine. The HP Reverb does a good enough job with just two camera's, so four camera's isn't going to suddenly make it bad 😄

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

McNutts said:

RuneSR2 said:

I agree that 3080 Ti will be a great choice for G2. But 3080 Ti is probably great too for Index, if you want 120 or 144 Hz and don't want to use res close to 100% in demanding games... Stormland using Index probably needs 3080 Ti just for 90 fps, lol.

A 2080 can run Boneworks at 144Hz on an Index so yea a 3080ti will be nice for it too. My point was that the resolution of the new HP headset is very high and will require a 3080ti if you want to get the maximum frame rate that the new HP headset can deliver.

Some 2080 Benchmarks on the Index: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/valve-index-vr-headset-controllers,6205-2.html

In one frame for both eyes with the new HP headset there are 9,331,200 pixels. In one frame of a 4K image there are 8,294,400‬ pixels. That's 12.5% more pixels than a 4K image. 2080 ti's get around 60FPS in current gen games with flat gaming. This tells me that a 2080 ti will not allow you to run the new HP headset at it's highest refresh rate without turning down a lot of the graphical settings. That's why I said you will need a 3080 ti to run this thing well. If I buy a headset I want to be able to turn all of the sliders up to 11 and max out the refresh rate of the headset. 

My 2080 Super is enough to do that now with a Index in almost all of the games I will play on it. My 2080 Super, nor a 2080 ti, would be able to do that on this new HP headset.

But you do not want 144 Hz/fps res 100% in Boneworks. To get the most awesome Index image quality you will want 144 Hz/fps in res 200% with 2xMSAA or 4xMSAA, but 2xMSAA is fine enough. Res 200% is 17 mill pixels per image. 

Boneworks is not a demanding game at all - I get (close to) solid 90 fps using Index res 200% and 2xMSAA with my humble GTX 1080. But you'll probably need a 2080 Ti or possibly 3080 (Ti) for 144 Hz/fps using res 200% and some MSAA on top of that. 

Index shines using res 200% (150 % is ok too), but I do not like res 100%. 

I'm probably pushing my Index way beyond Reverb G2 res 100% already - but seems like you need some res above 100% to reduce jaggies even with the G2. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

RedRizla said:

Can't tell you how many times I've said in these forums that Oculus should have produced a higher resolution VR headset. 

Yes, remember your posts on the subject from last year, and those that said there would obviously be a high-end Oculus solution on on the horizon!

Well I am not sure if that is a game plan for any of the remaining executives now. Creating a cost-effective standalone, with improving performance seems to be the focus. The possibility of increasing connectivity between PC and mobile, and the opportunity that the Link and 5G offer will be the mainstay.

But the reality of another high-end PC VR rig from Oculus (especially considering the Lenovo situation), seems remote. This means that Acer, Samsung, HP, HTC and Sony are the ones to watch at this point.

.... unless a high end MR (XR) solution could find backers?
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Luciferous
Consultant
No FOV upgrade no sale for me, I'll wait for the Quest 2 news but I don't hold out my hopes there either. I hope I live to see a FOV increase in the next 20 years. 

inovator
Consultant
When said oculus should produce a higher res headset to cater to lower and higher end users it is not understood that oculus cares the most about making vr mainstream. You need a low enough price point to go in that direction.

Luciferous
Consultant
Come on Innovator you are a bit slow on this one, we are waiting for the traditional 'Don't buy it post' 😉

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
G2 would have been much more awesome - if it came from a partnership between Oculus and Valve. G2 would be perfect for some asw 2.0 support to make 45 fps look like 90. It's a big problem with the Index that you need 1:1 fps/hz, because that increases system requirements a lot. Not sure the partnership with MS brings anything of value to the G2, feels more like a burden to me...

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

No FOV upgrade no sale for me, I'll wait for the Quest 2 news but I don't hold out my hopes there either. I hope I live to see a FOV increase in the next 20 years. 

I have a Pimax 8KX supposedly coming June/July I'll let y'all know how that works out. I am expecting it to be similar to the HP Reverb in terms of clarity but with a wider FOV (and lesser Hz).  I'll certainly do a comparison of the two devices.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.