cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Reverb second impression thread. (Revision 2)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Ok HP have finally started selling the Reverb again after the messy first release. I returned the 1st with issues and received my version 2 model yesterday. Setup is plug and play as you'd expect with a WMR. I did have an issue for an hour or so where I was stuck in 3dof but after tinkering I found the error (user) and was back in 6dof. The cable is still heavy and a tad cumbersome but due to a new included clip, the cable attachment will not come apart now.

Now for the good bits, the resolution ohhh the resolution!!! I am so glad I have my Reverb again for simming. Sod the controllers I don't use them. But in DCS FSX P3D and our Flyinside simulator, the clarity is what I've always wished and hoped for.

Yes I think it does need a 2080ti to get the full benefit of this headset but that's a personal opinion and yes it's a tad pricey but did I mention the resolution?

If you are into sit down experiences or simming then this is a must have HMD, it really does blow everything out of the water (until we hear about the cosmos)

I think the sound is on par with the CV1 through the Reverbs headphones but defo not as comfortable but they are bearable.

Visuals = 10/10
Comfort = 7.5/10
Build quality = 8.5/10
Value = 9/10
Recommendations = 9.5/10

Simmers it's a no brainer, go buy.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

77 REPLIES 77

ShocksVR
Superstar
Price already slashed (sale). 

i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

ShocksVR said:

Ya, now only $US499.99.  No discounts on the Aussie HP store though, still $A 999.99

Still the most expensive WMR headset out there!  Good to see its price gravitating down though.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

kojack
MVP
MVP
SteamVR needs to query which headsets are connected. To check if a Rift is connected, it needs to call the Oculus SDK. Calling the Oculus SDK triggers the Oculus Client to start.

The Australian consumer edition Reverb costs more than the US enterprise edition ($999au is currently equal to $679us).

If the price wasn't bloated here, I'd probably get a Reverb for seated non motion controller stuff, and keep my CV1 for standing VR. (I've stopped using my Rift-S and gone back to CV1, just so much hassle to get it working each time I wanted to use it)
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

kojack said:

SteamVR needs to query which headsets are connected. To check if a Rift is connected, it needs to call the Oculus SDK. Calling the Oculus SDK triggers the Oculus Client to start.

The Australian consumer edition Reverb costs more than the US enterprise edition ($999au is currently equal to $679us).

If the price wasn't bloated here, I'd probably get a Reverb for seated non motion controller stuff, and keep my CV1 for standing VR. (I've stopped using my Rift-S and gone back to CV1, just so much hassle to get it working each time I wanted to use it)

It would indeed be great to have SteamVR detect all connected HMDs and then to let you decide which one you want to use. My Index is always connected, but I've chosen to disconnect CV1 when not in use - that means should I ever accidentally start a Steam game from Oculus Home, I have no idea what would happen (the thought of Index not working correctly afterwards has greatly limited my urge to perform that experiment, lol).

I think @RedRizla or @Shadowmask72 should try it first!  o:)  😄

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
BTW, it's only been 2 months since I got the Index, and finally I felt the time was ready to see my first movie :blush: First installed Playa, which didn't show one movie in correct aspect ratio and didn't work with srt - making the effort to watch Japanse anime significantly harder than I'd like it to be, lol. Then I continued to Deo VR player, which worked great - but again the idio* *cough!* the nice devs haven't implemented srt support. How hard can srt support be to implement? - All my Oculus players support srt. Now I'm down to trying the Gizmo VR player - or if that fails the SkyBox VR player, which supports srt, but that one is 10GB just for a movie player, sigh. 

That said watching movies using Index ss 200% is the closest thing I've ever been watching movies in a theater - at home 😉 The Index fov means you can get exactly same area covered by the movie on your retina as if you were in a real theater. Only thing is the res being slightly worse - but I have only tested 1080p movies. Sound was amazing too, don't go cheap on the HMD sound if you want to watch movies! 
Using Index wasn't as good as watching movies on my Sony 85", but the Sony TV automatically upscales 1080p content to 4K, enhances colors, has much better black levels and has 1000Hz motion flow - but Index provides a much bigger screen on your retina than Sony 85" (3m viewing distance) and Index isn't a bad solution in any way. Index is way beyond Rift CV1 when watching movies, because you don't notice SDE using the Index - while you constantly see the SDE when watching movies on the CV1. And Index vs. CV1 res in movies is like comparing day and night... 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Steam games are alright when you can decide if you want Oculus to start them or Steam VR, but I think I remember getting blank screens with just the Steam VR option and no option to chose Oculus VR.

Wildt
Consultant
Right, finally got the thing out of it's box. It's been sitting there for days, but RL required my attention.
Anywho, good news, the display doesn't seem to have any defects, and the mura seems quite a bit more subtle. 🙂

But boy, does that facial interface seal up the heat - it fogged up within 2 minutes of sitting down for crying out loud.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Never had that problem, do you have it really tight to your head with the straps mate ?
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Wildt said:

But boy, does that facial interface seal up the heat - it fogged up with 2 minutes of sitting down for crying out loud.

Don't play "Steam" games, lol (admitted that was an incredibly bad joke).

Btw, Index is hotter that CV1, but I think I know why - so far Index has never fogged up, while CV1 did so very often.

Wildt
Consultant

Techy111 said:

Never had that problem, do you have it really tight to your head with the straps mate ?

Nope, quite loose actually. I got that perforated PU leather interface from VRCover for my CV1. Fogging is a non-issue there.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb