Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Vive $799

witboy83
Explorer
443 REPLIES 443

maxpare79
Trustee
I hope Oculus release some kind of news on Touch before their launch preview event... Good marketing dictates that if you have something good to announce you do it when it will hurt your competitor the most... That window will close next Monday...
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

Anonymous
Not applicable
"maxpare79" wrote:
I hope Oculus release some kind of news on Touch before their launch preview event... Good marketing dictates that if you have something good to announce you do it when it will hurt your competitor the most... That window will close next Monday...

I'm not holding my breath....

I'm not expecting any announcement on Touch until long after Rift has started shipping.

If Oculus really are selling Rift at cost or a small loss, then Touch is where they can make their money back. I don't think Touch will be cheap (although, of course, I hope I'm wrong!).

edmg
Trustee
"vizionvr" wrote:
Many of us are giving Oculus a large sum of money to eventually have room-scale VR.

I don't get it. If you really want room-scale VR, and consider $599 a large sum of money, why would you buy the HMD which doesn't have it yet rather than the HMD that ships with it?

Personally, I'm leaning toward the Rift at this point because I was looking at the Vive manual yesterday and can't see how I'd set that up in my game room without screwing things to the walls and running power cables all over the place.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"edmg" wrote:
"vizionvr" wrote:
Many of us are giving Oculus a large sum of money to eventually have room-scale VR.

I don't get it. If you really want room-scale VR, and consider $599 a large sum of money, why would you buy the HMD which doesn't have it yet rather than the HMD that ships with it?

Personally, I'm leaning toward the Rift at this point because I was looking at the Vive manual yesterday and can't see how I'd set that up in my game room without screwing things to the walls and running power cables all over the place.

I think the word there is 'eventually'. For this generation of VR, room scale isn't an option for many, due to lack of space and the cabling. Future iterations will (hopefully) solve the cable problems and as VR becomes more popular, it'll become more of the norm to allocate space wherever you live for VR.

I'd imagine the 'eventually' implies that we trust Oculus more than HTC to deliver in the future?

USMCGrunt0307
Explorer
"FokkerFace" wrote:
"Apolonius" wrote:
Which kind of screen mount HTC Vive?, is OLED also?
Regards.

As far as I remember Rift and Vive ended up using exactly the same screens. Since there is NDA and developers won't tell us - it's not confirmed that they come from same brand, but specs wise - they are identical.

"USMCGrunt0307" wrote:
Oh that's right, forgot about the bandwidth requirement. Then expansion cards will work. A 3-port might be pushing it in terms of bandwidth, though I doubt each camera will fully saturate the entire USB 3 spec bandwidth.

If Oculus upgraded their camera - it will use more than a half of total USB3.0 bandwidth. You simply cant have two at the same port.
Yes, you can install expansion card, if you have available PCIe slot to spare. I would have to unplug one of few expansion cards I currently use to give space for expansion card, and I'm not really happy about that. But, the extension card you've provided - is incompatible. That specific card uses Texas Instruments TUSB7340 controller, and Rift compatibility tool says that Texas Instruments TUSB7340 controller is incompatible. The one that was confirmed to be compatible here on forum - would cost me $100, IF I can find where I can plug it at all.

For the sake of argument, say I unplug my PCI GC-RAMDISK card, making PCIe slot available, and install 5-port recommended expansion card. I install Rift (-3 USB 3.0) and two more tracking cameras (-2 USB 3.0 ) That's it! I don't have space for new expansion card, and there are no ports to add more tracking cameras, that would probably require active USB3.0 cables for distances of over 5 meters, and each cable would cost like $50, and would look "great" on the walls!
Lighthouses? One receiver on USB 2.0. Theoretically you can have one in each corner of your room, if you'd like.

Sounds like you need a new motherboard...I've got 4 USB 3, 2 USB 3.1 and a pair of USB 3 in the front. Again, this argument is purely speculative at this moment AND if you were gonna be wiring up a bunch of sensors, you'd have a purpose built system.

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
I will be ordering the Vive on Monday, no doubt about it. The tracked controllers are priceless for properly interacting with the VR world (unless you are sitting in a cockpit with matching controls), and the tracking solution sounds much better for any sort of moving around (I also like the idea of one USB cable rather than 3 or 4). Oculus has dropped the ball big time on this. I still can't believe they settled on the Xbox One gamepad and priced the package so only enthusiasts would consider it.

I am keeping my Oculus order as well because it could very well be the better HMD, but I NEED to interact with the VR world more than just being a floating head in it.
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

Malkmus1979
Explorer
"ThreeDeeVision" wrote:
priced the package so only enthusiasts would consider it.

While I'm getting both as well, this sentence doesn't make much sense to me.

edmg
Trustee
"Malkmus1979" wrote:
While I'm getting both as well, this sentence doesn't make much sense to me.

I believe the point is that only VR enthusiasts are going to pay $599 for a Rift, but, at that price, they'll be limited to using an Xbox controller instead of motion controllers. So it won't provide the best enthusiast experience. If the Vive was priced at $999 instead of $799, the price difference would seem more reasonable to someone trying to decide between the two.

Personally, I suspect I'll use whatever I buy mostly for simulator-type games, and wait for the next generation before I worry about being able to do anything else. But a lot of people will think 'Rift + Touch > $799'.

VizionVR
Rising Star
"edmg" wrote:
"vizionvr" wrote:

Because I have supported the Rift for a long time and out of my sheer respect for consumer level VR they deserve my attention first. Because Oculus has said that room scale VR will be possible with Rift. But if it isn't I need to know for sure. Until then $599 is a large sum of money to gamble with. Oculus needs to show proof of room scale or officially state that 1st gen cameras can't do it so I can either feel at ease with my purchase or get the hell out of here.
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

edmg
Trustee
"vizionvr" wrote:
Attended, unattended, from 8 year old child to seasoned developer, in the nearly hundreds of hours of Twitch streams and Youtube video that exists of the Vive in play, not one single person falls or even gets tangled so much they didn't simply step out of it.

That's like saying an actor never fluffs their line in a movie. Hint: those parts generally end up on the cutting-room floor.

But here's one example:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/weara ... 6-3635648/

"When we went hands-on with the first generation HTC Vive, we actually tripped over the wire and damaged the cable connecting the headset to the PC – not an ideal situation, especially for consumers."