cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has everyone calmed down now?? :)

steveoz32
Expert Protege
I've been away from the forum for a week or so.

Granted I had issues when my order was messed up and I wasn't getting a response a couple of days from the pre order day but I ended up calming down 🙂

Got a little bored of seeing the USD price threads, moaning about price threads, will my PC run it threads etc appearing over and over and over!

So how is everyone feeling about their orders and or the release now? Everyone happy bunnies again? And are you excited yet?

The excitement has worn off for me now, but it's nice thinking that the time will soon come around and I will have a little surprise later this year to look forward to 🙂

I'm hoping the CV1 will work with some of the old apps though such as Virtual Desktop. That was one of my favourite apps.
36 REPLIES 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
"DaftnDirect" wrote:
Hive is what you get if you're allergic to VR

or perhaps we will all become a hive mind... Oh No it's the New world Order Conspiracy theory coming true! 😄

HiThere_
Superstar
If there had been a checkbox to choose between a 400$ DK3 or a 600$ CV1, I would have clicked the CV1 box or waited till I had enough money to click it. It's more like I felt sorry for those who were expecting a 350$ CV1 and won't be able to afford a 600$ one right away.

And with the CV1 costing 600$ by itself, it now makes more sense to have bundled a 2D controller instead of the 6D Touch controllers.

The Touch controllers will probably include a second camera to unlock 360° tracking and small sized room tracking, so that's covered.

I don't see HTC Vive Pre's wide size room tracking tacking off because most people simply don't have a wide sized room to dedicate to VR, specially outside the U.S. Even the Xbox kinect struggled with room size, and that was although it was a LOT less demanding then a room sized VR experience would be.

I'm disappointed by the lack of a built-in camera (also meaning no AR tags, or locating your various input controllers or your cat without taking off the headset), and hope a third party will provide both a wireless mod and an AR mod, if only limited ones.

And I'm looking forward to the new CPU and GPU architectures coming out this year.

As long as you can afford it, the 600$ pricing is more good news then bad news, because that extra 200$ went straight into the hardware. If anything maybe they could have announced Lucky's Tale and Eve Valkyrie being bundled in just after the 600$ launch instead of just before it (or maybe even have revealed them as included straight on the pre-order page). And I can see myself using that handy remote control they included too.

As long as the HTC Vive Pre is announced as expensive as I am expecting it (closer to 1xxx$ then 800$), the CV1 is a no brainer in my case. Simple as that 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Cyril" wrote:
If there had been a checkbox to choose between a 400$ DK3 or a 600$ CV1, I would have clicked the CV1 box or waited till I had enough money to click it. It's more like I felt sorry for those who were expecting a 350$ CV1 and won't be able to afford a 600$ one right away.

Yes it hit home hard for all of us but especially so for those that simply can't afford that much.

I'm sure none of us are strangers to disappointment, so we have to sympathies somewhat I think.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Tim74UK" wrote:
"notsram" wrote:
"maxpare79" wrote:
Always been calm, but now I am nervous about Elite Dangerous rift support lol, and itching to upgrade my system but disappointed that the release dates of Pascal, Polaris, zen, etc...are so far away...

Yep, the ED news is a bit worrying... I guess a lot of people are going to be looking even more closely at the Hive release price now.

I guess you are not one of them... it's called the VIVE! lol :lol:

Oops!!!! :lol:

sabyyy
Protege
Good for you guys waiting in excitement. Still not available for me...
At least they'll come and connect my dark cave on the electric network next week so something to be happy about..
BTW do I buy one 60 watt light bulb or 100 watt? What are the pros and cons?
Actually I am writing this message with smoke signs hacked on the nearest hub where the net is available.

Bloodlet
Rising Star
I'm calm now...Sure I had a knee jerk rant due to sticker shock but that was after I had already preordered.

I've been waiting and saving for the CV rift for 3 years. I wasn't about to let a little cold sweat stop me from clicking the purchase button.

I won't be getting my CV1 until May but am still excitedly waiting for March 28th to be able to play all those games I've missed since the SDK split. As long as the SDK 1.0 supports the DK2 as promised I'll be fine for a couple of months. 😉

I haven't upgraded my SDK since 0.6 as I love ED but if ED doesn't have full support for the SDK 1.0 my ships will just stay docked. There's alot more coming to be enjoyed. It's still a shame as I have full lifetime subscription for ED. Sacrifices have to be made though. :?

VizionVR
Rising Star
"If you look at your reflection in the bottom of a well,
What you see is only on the surface.
When you try to see the meaning, hidden underneath,
The measure of the depth can be deceiving.
The bottom has a rocky reputation."

-Joe Walsh, The Confessor
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

"Did you think I'd be too stupid to know what a eugoogly is?"
- Derek Zoolander

willste
Explorer
Putting aside the point the Palmer made some statements that mislead us about the price, he made a fair point after that.

In order to run these you have to have at least an entry level high end video card. The kind of people that build the $1000 plus PC that can run this device are not going to be deterred by and extra $200.

I feel like with PC's many of us tend to get component price syndrome, where even though our total rig cost may be $1500 dollars, it never feels that painful because we never buy a single component or peripheral that costs more than $300.

CPU $300
Graphics Card $300
Big SSD $300
gaming keyboard $100
Decent Monitor $300
gaming mouse $50
the list goes on, it seems like most of us prefer for all of our sub components to cost under $400-$500, but by the time we have maintained our rig with upgrade every 1-2 years, the cost really adds up.

$600 is the cheapest high quality VR has ever been and its awesome.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"vizionvr" wrote:
"If you look at your reflection in the bottom of a well,
What you see is only on the surface.
When you try to see the meaning, hidden underneath,
The measure of the depth can be deceiving.
The bottom has a rocky reputation."

-Joe Walsh, The Confessor

One of my all time Favorite Albums!

That along with

Jeff Beck - Guitar Shop and ACDC Highway to Hell!! 🙂