cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has lens marks and scratches effected visuals yet

inovator
Consultant
I have had my rift for about 6 months and the lens easily scratches and gets marks that don't come out even with safe lens cleaner. I'm not even sure how that happened since I treat my rift like I'm handling eggs. So far no visual effect. Anyone out there have had their visuals effected yet by what I described?
22 REPLIES 22

LZoltowski
Champion
Had it 6 months now, pristine condition still so cant comment on visual fidelity.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

inovator
Consultant
Wow that's great I wish I can figure out how I got mine marked up.

LZoltowski
Champion
The only thing I ever use to clean it is this:

PEC Pads (NOT the PEC-12 liquid), they are designed to be so soft and lint free as not to scratch the emulsion off developed film or expensive optics. We use those in the studio so it was an easy choice for maximum safety.

I recommend never to use any liquid cleaners on there, once I had quite a waxy smudge from someones hair, in that case I used

It is meant for soft plastics and worked great. But use in extreme cases only!

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Funmotion
Protege
why would you want to get scratches? It might not affect it now but the worse it gets, might affect quality

inovator
Consultant
Why would u ask why I want to get scratches. I'm simply asking has anyone's visuals been effected from others lenses getting marked up etc. It is good news the lack of response. THAT answers the quesion which is scratches and marks have effected a statistically small amount of people. It seems you would have to get a nasty scratch for u to have a problem. Since writing this comment by surfing the Internet I found it has to have been the occasional use of glasses ( the correct size glasses) I will not use glasses anymore since the blur for distance is mild. I hope that oculus will add a wheel adjustment like the Samsung gear headset has. That works great. For me certain games are better with the clearest vision when it's important to see in the distance. I guess if I get anoyed enough I'll get contacts.

Funmotion
Protege
Contacts or screen protectors might suffice

falken76
Expert Consultant

Funmotion said:

why would you want to get scratches? It might not affect it now but the worse it gets, might affect quality

LOL, is this a serious question?  Yeah OP, why did you opt to scratch your own lenses on purpose?

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

inovator said:

Since writing this comment by surfing the Internet I found it has to have been the occasional use of glasses ( the correct size glasses) 

I use glasses with mine all the time.  Haven't noticed any scratches.  Maybe if you have super bulgey eyeballs and glasses a couple inches from your face they might hit, but I can fit a finger between my glasses and the rift's lenses.