cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Height in games (when family consists of tall and short people who switch often)

nidania
Protege
What is the best way of handling this?

I was under the impression that after the initial set up (where you put in your height and so Oculus can calculate the sensor's height from the ground), that when different people play who are of different heights - the system can tell from the headset height the appropriate height settings and no further configuration is necessary.

But, in looking at other people play via the mirroring to the monitor/TV, depending if they are much taller or much shorter than I am, based on their field of view in the game (based on what I see on the monitor) , I'm seeing things get cut off so it looks like they are either too tall or too short "inside" the VR.

Maybe they are still seeing things OK inside VR (hard to determine, this was a younger child), and other  (tall) user was using the Oculus for the first time so not sure they can judge this well or not.

Does anything need to be changed if you switch between short and tall players?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

cybereality
Grand Champion
In general, you should not have to redo the height setting, as the software adjusts for the size of the person. However, if someone is especially shorter than you, then they will be at their real life height in the game, so it may be difficult to reach up (same if they are much larger, they will be larger in the game). 
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

nidania
Protege
Thanks, can you remind me please where the setting is to enter the height of the player.

Hopefully I don't have to go through a full set up and can just enter the height somewhere.

cybereality
Grand Champion
It's in Devices -> Configure Rift -> Floor Position.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

nidania
Protege
Perfect thanks.

So what does this other setting do exactly, just resets the forward-facing position?

Settings > Devices > Configure Rift > Reset Default View in VR 

Digikid1
Consultant
Tall guys on knees, short people on stools. 

LOL!!!!!

In all fairness I understand your dilemma. Me being 7ft and considering everyone else as “tiny”. 

cybereality
Grand Champion
Reset Default View sets the forward direction and the center position.

The only messing about you may have to do is some games using SteamVR that don't seem to allow a default view reset.... and you want to play seated but appear standing in-game.

I have this minor niggle with Fallout 4 VR and have to set the height in SteamVR setup each time I want to change this, which then sets me up at the right height in-game whilst I sit. Cos you really don't want to be knee-high to a rad scorpion. There may be a config setting for this but I haven't found it.

(...yes I'm too lazy to stand for hours)