cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help

fiufiu
Honored Guest

I use oculus rift to present 3D models to clients. Normally they wear the headset and I hold the controllers and walk them through the 3D model, which can be quite clumsy. Is there a way to connect another 1 or 2 headsets to the same computer, so I can control the walk through and the clients just watch with the VR? Maybe w oculus quest which is wireless? Sorry if the explanation is too basic! Hope anyone knows the answer! Thanks!!!

8 REPLIES 8

kojack
MVP
MVP

For Oculus headsets, it's not possible to have 2 running at once on a single computer. You can have multiples plugged in (for example I've had Rift CV1, Rift-S and Quest 2 plugged in), but when you choose one it disables the others.

I don't know of any software that does it, but it would be technically possible for custom software to synchronise two computers or stand alone headsets. Moving another person around is likely to make them sick, but using a teleport method wouldn't be too bad.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Gravity Sketch for business and education apparently has the functionality to allow multiple Quests to view a model within the same workspace. The headset's don't need to be plugged into a PC or be in the same room or country.

According to their website, the colaberation feature was originally just for enterprise users who had IT infrastructure that met particular requirements but now it seems more accessible.

This may be worth checking out

https://www.gravitysketch.com/blog/articles/how-real-time-vr-collaboration-can-increase-the-producti... 

You can't move each other around, as kojack says, that's not really a good idea anyway for comfort but I assume you can talk to each other. I think you have to request this feature on the website, it doesn't come with the standard install.

I don't know if there are other software options that do the same.

I just noticed they provide this collaboration function for PC headsets too (Rift), you'd just need to consider the cables (and the need for multiple PCs) if 2 or more people are moving around in the same room. Untethered may be a route you want to go to avoid the VR equivalent of a maypole dance! It has cross platform support, so you could continue to use your Rift and client use a Quest.

kojack
MVP
MVP

That reminds me that Medium had that too, you could have two people in the same modeling space.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

I didn't know medium did that. It's a shame it's not cross-platform as it would work well & the OP wouldn't need a second PC, just a Quest.

3D model import and viewing would be a good fit for Horizon Workrooms.

Nekto2
Superstar

I think there are several 3D editing tools you could load a model into (but you need to check which type of model formats are supported).

You can't move people position, but you could move entire object around! 🙂

(so that is not good to other people stomachs unless you ask them to close their eyes while moving:) )

Also there are some 3d chat tools with ability to load objects (even using some urls to load objects from web).

@Nekto2 if you can list any apps for the op, that would be good.

I'm guessing any shared space within a chat type app would have to be private as well as being able to load models.

Looks like VRChat has a library of avatars you can import, not sure about importing objects from regular modelling programs in fbx or obj format for example, maybe have to convert to unity?

I don't think rec room allows object import but I could be wrong.

Blender now has a VR viewer but I don't think it has a shared space.

Do not know how complex the model is. Not every app will support any number of polygons (esp. for Quest).

There some limitation for Quest in VR chat. I think you need to compile scene in Unity before you could use it as a "room".

There are some news on other chats specialized on business use with ability to load objects (like Workrooms, but from other company). Also do not know what are sizes supported. Even Oculus Home (for Rift) allows to load scenes and have multiplayer.

Can't list apps. I think there should be tests for headsets support and formats/sizes support before recommendations.

Also for simple scenes there are WebVR solutions with multiplayer (but without audio, which is not issue if all people are in the same room).