cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hide your Rifts, Windows Fall Creators Update is coming

Zenbane
Level 16
vd7cm9xenspe.jpg

Microsoft is now done with feature development on the next major version of Windows 10. Dubbed the "Fall Creators Update," this update is expected to launch on October 17, 2017, and will focus on a whole bunch of new improvements for Windows 10 users.

This update includes WebVR support! This is great news for folks like myself who are interesting in building WebVR Apps as business solutions. However, I am a bit nervous about the potential for this Windows update to disrupt my Rift's ability to work properly. Microsoft is notorious for throwing the baby out with the bathwater. So I'm hoping this update goes without a hitch!

Full changelog:
https://www.windowscentral.com/fall-creators-update

WebVR info:
https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2017/10/10/bringing-webvr-everyone-windows-10-fall-creators-upda...

On October 17th, EdgeHTML 16 will be released with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, and the era of Windows Mixed Reality begins as headsets and motion controllers become widely available, enabling low-cost, immersive experiences with WebVR in Microsoft Edge.

91 REPLIES 91

sanderbos
Level 4
So I this thread is about the fall update. But since it's talking about windows updates in the context of the Rift, I hope I can ask the following:

I recently updated to the creator's edition, so the now previous release. And I have a very annoying problem now in that on my GTX970 system I have these flashes of black on my desktop screen about every 10 minutes. It's not every 10 minutes it seems, sometimes it takes an hour or so to start, but then every 10 or so minutes the screen goes to black for 2 or 3 frames (not 1 I think), and immediately goes back to normal. It is both in desktop mode and when a game is displaying.

I could not find any references to it (plenty of screen flickering and black screens with creator's edition, but then apparently it is continuous, not this quick flash of black every few minutes). It started as soon as I had the creator's edition, and I have had an NVidia driver update since.

So probably it has nothing to do with the Rift, but since it's apparently rare, and so of course is having a Rift installed relatively speaking, anyone with this same problem? Anyone? Bueller?

Back on topic: Yes, I can't wait to upgrade the Fall edition, but only to see whether it will make the foul taste in my mouth of the bl**dy creator's edition go away (which also has issues keeping persistent network drive connections persistent, something that worked for 5 years with my current setup without any issue).

Zenbane
Level 16
My update is still downloading. I feel like it has been stuck at 94% for awhile, which makes me nervous.

There's few things more terrifying that an unmoving critical Windows status indicator. When that status indicator appears motionless, I'm too terrified to touch anything...

Roaster
Level 8
Update bricked my gaming machine, refuses all attempts to log on. Reset password twice still no go. WTF am I supposed to do now?
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

cybereality
Level 16
On the previous CU, I had a machine that looked stuck at 70% for what seemed like 1 or 2 hours, but it eventually finished and I'm glad I didn't get impatient and mess things up.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Roaster
Level 8
Update ... MS support by phone resolved the issue and I'm in again. Apparently the update hung when restarting and prevented logon. Cure was to pull the plug and hold the power button for three minutes. Repower and update completed, now able to logon ok. Yay phone support.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

Zenbane
Level 16

Roaster said:

Update ... MS support by phone resolved the issue and I'm in again. Apparently the update hung when restarting and prevented logon. Cure was to pull the plug and hold the power button for three minutes. Repower and update completed, now able to logon ok. Yay phone support.

I had to step out for a bit but I noticed my PC was still on the reboot screen. I may have encountered the same issue. I will know when I return home.

Rob_In_Phoenix
Level 8
Welp, that's it.  No way am I doing this update until the last possible minute.

And thank you to the early adopters to give it a shot.  I'm officially terrified now.

Zenbane
Level 16

Came back, PC was hung up. Forced a shutdown then rebooted. Now it's doing stuff n' thaangs.
:#

Rob_In_Phoenix
Level 8

Roaster said:

@Roaster what gaming machine did you pull the plug and hold the power button for 3 minutes on?  My computer wouldn't do anything in response to something like this (at least I don't think so).

What does holding the power button do on a pc?

Zenbane
Level 16

I'm pretty sure that Microsoft Support asks people to "hold the power button for 3 minutes" to give their entire support staff time to Google the solution.
😘