Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hide your Rifts, Windows Fall Creators Update is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
vd7cm9xenspe.jpg

Microsoft is now done with feature development on the next major version of Windows 10. Dubbed the "Fall Creators Update," this update is expected to launch on October 17, 2017, and will focus on a whole bunch of new improvements for Windows 10 users.

This update includes WebVR support! This is great news for folks like myself who are interesting in building WebVR Apps as business solutions. However, I am a bit nervous about the potential for this Windows update to disrupt my Rift's ability to work properly. Microsoft is notorious for throwing the baby out with the bathwater. So I'm hoping this update goes without a hitch!

Full changelog:
https://www.windowscentral.com/fall-creators-update

WebVR info:
https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2017/10/10/bringing-webvr-everyone-windows-10-fall-creators-upda...

On October 17th, EdgeHTML 16 will be released with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, and the era of Windows Mixed Reality begins as headsets and motion controllers become widely available, enabling low-cost, immersive experiences with WebVR in Microsoft Edge.

91 REPLIES 91

MowTin
Expert Trustee
After I installed it my Rift was fine except it asked me to redo my setup but my system became unstable.

For example, I unplugged my gamepad and my system crashed. Or when I switched my monitors to my bigger 4K TV it crashed. Stuff like that. 

Actually, Steam VR games would crash repeatedly. So, I reverted. 

Are the people reporting no problem using Steam VR for some games?
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Roaster
Rising Star

MowTin said:

After I installed it my Rift was fine except it asked me to redo my setup but my system became unstable.

For example, I unplugged my gamepad and my system crashed. Or when I switched my monitors to my bigger 4K TV it crashed. Stuff like that. 

Actually, Steam VR games would crash repeatedly. So, I reverted. 

Are the people reporting no problem using Steam VR for some games?

No problems so far.  Everything is working fine on 1709.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu