cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High end oculus vr.. don't hold your breath

bigmike20vt
Visionary
https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=3&hl=de&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=...

Pretty bleak reading imo excuse long link Google shortener not working on it
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂
401 REPLIES 401

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
It is going to be really hard for Indie and AAA game developers to consider their future VR development strategy:

Do they support the Quest ecosystem.
Do they support the Valve ecosystem.
Do they create for independents like Pico and Samsung with their Standalones.
Do they go high-end or do they go mobileVR (standalone) and with that support the best performance (Snapdragon 845 or higher), or work to backward convert their game to support SD835?
Do they continue to support CV1 or VIVE?

Or in reality, do they wait to see if Sony releases VR for PS5?
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Luciferous
Consultant

RedRizla said:

Well it makes no sense if you only ever buy from Oculus. I hope the index kicks Rift S ass, otherwise I fear I may be doomed for three years of mediocre VR gaming. 

Careful what you wish for is all I'll say. If it does kick arse and Rift -S doesn't sell well, then you can kiss good bye to the continued kick ass Oculus PC -VR games. Most of the steam VR games are shite IMHO. Where are all the Valve PC -VR games btw?

Well you can blame that on Oculus not me. That is what happens when you neglect the market that helped put you on the map in the first place.

I would hold a wake though for Lone Echo. 🙂

Sometimes a company gets complacent and needs a kick up the arse.

Mradr said:

OK bigmike, I completely understand where you're coming from. I'm not totally sure if my IPD is within the Rift-S limits being 69, it's within the adjustment limits but outside the recommended limits as far as I can make out. So maybe it'll be ok, maybe not.

I think I'm less pessimistic though in that I believe there will always be a choice of headset that best suits my needs and I'm also optimistic about OpenXR removing cross platform tie-ins.

Maybe I'm just a glass half full bloke but it seems to me that things generally turn out better than most people say... when most people say it'll turn out bad.

(Neville Chamberlain probably felt the same)

I would agree with this - but as Bigmike said - if you bought your software from Oculus (short of using a 3rd party program) you are out of the ecosystem you was just part of. People like Oculus environment, they like the software, the people they played with, etc, etc - all this really means is they want WANT Oculus to do better. This isn't cries of "I am moving to HTC!" - it's more of a cry for Oculus to get their shit together so we can keep buying their products and working with the same VR community we kind of grew up with the last 3 year or longer. Get my point bro?

I rather be arranging with Zen than some dum ass that can't even understand that 2k, 2k per eye is not 4k - it's still 2k. I rather still keep writing M-Walls here than some place else. I mean I can still do that - but just wont be as fun not on the same hardware with everyone else. 

So I mean, yea we can move on to use other hardware and we have the option always at the door step, but we still want Oculus to do better than deal with what is out there instead.

Do you think OpenXR will happen though? My personal opinion is that it will, and is more likely to have Oculus' backing if they've decided that they're happy for other manufacturers to have a free run at the high-end market. I'm pretty sure they'd want to welcome all users to their storefront. And if that's the case, there'll be no need to leave their community... and we can all continue to argue with the people who are intelligent enough to argue back 😉

But yes, even though it may sound like it, I don't want people to think that I'm an apologist for Oculus not making high-end. So maybe it's best if I don't comment further than this post on the subject.

I'm also very reluctant to place my trust in another manufacturer to do high-end right, including price. So yes, I'm disappointed if Oculus don't. Very disappointed.

I'm just optimistic about what the Rift-S will do in terms of the end result being more good software. And even though we shouldn't need to trade off high-end hardware against good software... if that's the choice that Oculus have decided to present us with... I'll live with it.

Edit: I should just add that my disappointment should really be delayed until this time next year, when GPUs will hopefully be available to run high-end properly and validate my my disappointment.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=3&hl=de&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=...

Pretty bleak reading imo excuse long link Google shortener not working on it

So I'm a bit torn with my opinion overall on this information.

On one hand,
I bought in to the Rift CV1 at $600 and Touch at $200 because it was the highest end VR experience on the market. I 100% expected Oculus to strive to retain that title. Hearing them talk about the "highest end VR" as if it is a burden or a chore is quite disheartening.

On the other hand,
Over the years when this forum was trolled by Vive owners, and more recently, Pimax wishful thinkers... I strongly maintained the position that hardware is secondary, software is primary. And when it comes to software in VR, Oculus reigns supreme. Chronos, Robo Recall, The Unspoken, Echo Arena, Echo Combat, Lone Echo, and even my early favorites like Lucky's Tale and Farlands have made it clear that Oculus understands how to empower their consumers to enjoy the "best experiences" with their hardware investment. I was also able to try Stormland and Defector at PAX, and dear gawd... Oculus' commitment to high-end experiences hasn't wavered. The Darth Vader series coming to Quest and Rift is yet further affirmation.

In reality, when I invested in a new Oculus-Ready PC, I didn't go all out high-end anyway. I'm still running a 980 which I have pushed to the limits every chance I get (e.g. config madness to get Lone Echo to run beautifully). And the truth is that while I definitely have the extra $$$ to throw at a new GPU or PC entirely, I'm not exactly feeling the over-arching need to do so. I think the only game that I haven't been able to play due to its requirements is Hellblade VR. And I'm perfectly okay waiting. I've said it many times... what was the point of spending additional money on a new headset like the Vive Pro or Pimax 5K/8K if, in the end, we're just playing the same damn experiences over and over again: Fallout VR, SkyrimVR, Elite Dangerous, Iron Wolf, Flight Sims, Racing Sims.

I've been a gamer most of my life, and any time I upgrade my hardware (console, PC) it has been for a real reason. I upgraded my consoles to play the latest exclusives. Every Nintendo upgrade came with new Mario and Metroid worlds. I bought the XBox just for Halo. I upgrade my PC's to play the next generation of MMORPG's that offer 100vs100 PvP Battles. Yet when it comes to VR, I tend to get caught up in this notion that "we need the next gen and we need it now." But for which NEW experiences??

VR is a special little creature in that we convince ourselves that we need to see the same damn thing in better ways: Better black levels, better FoV, better resolution. PCVR HMD's have this fantastic stigma that involves a desire to buy more of them just to have more pixels in our face. Regardless if those pixels are painting the same damn picture we've already seen 100 times in a row, "Oh look, it's the same cockpit you've had for 3 years, but now you can see more of it without turning your head."

So while I'm definitely disappointed that Oculus isn't striving to retain their hardware title, I remain pleased with their commitment to developing and releasing new Software every year. Facebook and Oculus are the only organizations who are making an investment in PCVR truly worthwhile for the consumer.

Meanwhile at Valve... they can keep dry humping "VR Ports" to their hearts content. Start a damn pants fire from all the friction for all I care. I want native VR experiences that continue to shock and amaze.

That being said, if I ever meet Jason Rubin in person, I'm going to give him a friendly yet firm slap on the face for talking about the Rift 2 like it's a dirty pair of jeans.

inovator
Consultant

Had you ever considered that why so many people are excited about the system is that they have had the chance to use it and even take it apart

Do you mean that all the people praising the Valve Index actually had the chance to use it? I highly doubt it ^^'. For now, all I heard was rumors on the specs and people stupidly believing in those rumors. As of today, the Valve Index barely exists officially. When the speecs are released, then, there will be matter to be hyped... if said specs are good, of course.

its important to remember the work that SONY had done with the Glasstron and the HMZ

Hum, no, it's not. Those headsets aren't part of the current VR ecosystems. And they aren't at the same level as the others in terms of specs.
Sony did nothing for the PC VR market. I do respect them for their PSVR ecosystem though.

To say that Sony isn't any influence on the pc vr market makes me lol. It may not be at the same level as far as tracking but is close as far as visuals. My brother like I owns a rift and when he tried my Playstation vr he thought the visuals were close. Slightly more blur but less pixels and a fov that feels larger. It is very underestimated. True it won't influence how many people do pc vr but vr in general yes. And Sony having sold 4.5 million headsets may influence a chunk of those people to buy the quest.

inovator
Consultant
He'll blade was mentioned that it wasn't worth an upgrade just to play it. Agreed.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I'm just curious to know if we have had some bullshit thrown our way by Oculus. They kept saying they weren't abandoning PC -VR, but they have certainly made it look like it's not a priority by leaving Rift -S to Lenovo. Now there is no talk of a Rift 2 in development and that's a big change from what they were saying last year. Are we to believe that Rift -S is now Rift 2?

I get that cheaper headsets means more sales and more sales means devs will create software, but why all the talk of half dome, eye tracking last, and now reel it all back in like it was never spoken about? So I tack it that a Rift 2 is not in development as of now is that correct?

I also see people's point about creating for a cheaper market, but just like televisions there should also be a place for catering for a higher end on too. Maybe Oculus should be looking to cater for both the cheaper and more expensive headsets market, just like Samsung, LG and Sony do with their televisions. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

I'm just curious to know if we have had some bullshit thrown our way by Oculus. They kept saying they weren't abandoning PC -VR, but they have certainly made it look like it's not a priority by leaving Rift -S to Lenovo. Now there is no talk of a Rift 2 in development and that's a big change from what they were saying last year. Are we to believe that Rift -S is now Rift 2?

You are only talking Hardware in all of that. PCVR is both hardware and software. Facebook and Oculus are releasing great new native PCVR experiences.

And just because Oculus partnered with Lenovo doesn't mean, by default, that they have abandoned anything. Valve partnered with HTC for Vive, right? Partnerships are fine.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I'm still looking to get a Rift -S due to all the great Oculus games, but I do wish they would have created both a cheaper & highend headset for those who own something like a Geforce 2080Ti. I don't know at what cost to Oculus that would be though, if they manufactured 2 headsets with different displays etc.

Edit: I just look at it that someone with a Geforce 2080Ti isn't going to be looking at a Rift -S, if there's a better headset with a higher resolution.

Zenbane said:

That being said, if I ever meet Jason Rubin in person, I'm going to give him a friendly yet firm slap on the face for talking about the Rift 2 like it's a dirty pair of jeans.

just make sure he doesn't have a bigger fish

as3gplj5ztq8.gif